The Student Room Group

How to Answer A level Edexcel Psychology Questions?

Doing A level psychology and got a low C last year even though I answered questions exactly as the teacher proposed, by using DES- Describe, Explain and So What? On receiving back my AS level script I have seen that I was getting around 5 marks out of the 8 and 12 markers. Due to the shortage of historical data and past papers I am confused as to how to approach these questions. I am aware of the comments from previous examiners reports that integration of A01 and A02 is neccesary to achieve the top grade boundaries, and that there needs to be logical chains of reasoning. Does anyone have a format on how to answer these questions as im worried the teacher isn't even teaching me correctly. My target grade is a B and I confidently feel i can achieve this with the correct answer layout. thanks for any help.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Ask another teacher in the department to go through it with you. Or you could look at the official textbooks as they often have guides on how to write answers approved by the exam board. Also the exam board send your college exemplar answers so ask your college for those as well maybe
I do AQA but we set our long answers out as 4marks description and then 4marks of evaluation for 8 markers; 6 marks description, 6 evaluation for 12 markers; and 6 marks description, 10 marks evaluation for 16 markers. Then for each point you make within that evaluation, use PEEL: Point, Evidence, Explain, Link back to the point.
Reply 4
Our teacher tells us to use ATCHOOBC which stands for:
Accurate and
Thorough
Chains of Reasoning
On the one hand
On the other hand
Balanced
Conclusion

I know it seems really long but its not too difficult to remember and it does seem to help with the longer answers as that is what is specified on the mark schemes so the examiners are actually looking for these things.
I hope that helps x
for evaluation questions for 12 markers and 8 markers use something called SCOUT if it tells you to evaluate a theory. Supporting evidence conflicting evidence, other theories, usefulness and testability - this gives you the A03 for the A01 maybe just describe the theory and link it to the A01 point
for studies use GRAVE which is generalisablity reliability applicability validity and ethics. and same applies..
also add howevers and etc.
add conclusions or you cant get more than 2 or 3 marks.
Original post by ARDunne
Our teacher tells us to use ATCHOOBC which stands for:
Accurate and
Thorough
Chains of Reasoning
On the one hand
On the other hand
Balanced
Conclusion

I know it seems really long but its not too difficult to remember and it does seem to help with the longer answers as that is what is specified on the mark schemes so the examiners are actually looking for these things.
I hope that helps x

which exam board do you do? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending