The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Darkesio
Why is Economics and Management at Oxford the hardest course to get into in the country? Should I apply to Cambridge for Economics? Cambridge's acceptance rate is twice Oxford's for Economics.

Hi what did you end up applying to?
Original post by p1128
Hi are u at LSE now? I really want to do econ at LSE but I know that it's super competitive ! do you have any tips how I can stand out and how they choose people?

Yeah I do Econ at LSE. Go to the open day and show why you chose Economics. Economics at LSE has one of the lowest acceptance rates and the lowest of any course not to interview so show your motivation. It's tough to get in but once you're here, you can do much more in life than Oxford and Cambridge students.

Btw, Oxford E&M iacceptance rate is only lower because there are many lower quality applicants
Reply 22
t
Original post by IBDM&amp
Yeah I do Econ at LSE. Go to the open day and show why you chose Economics. Economics at LSE has one of the lowest acceptance rates and the lowest of any course not to interview so show your motivation. It's tough to get in but once you're here, you can do much more in life than Oxford and Cambridge students.

Btw, Oxford E&M iacceptance rate is only lower because there are many lower quality applicants

thx ! I will shadow a student at lse in januray, super excited , do you have any tips on how to write the PS
do you also think that predicted grades A*AA is actually not good enough and that most people get better predicted grades to get in. what do you think was the main reason you got in ?
Original post by IBDM&A
LSE is better.

If you want a good degree and a good job, go to LSE.

If you want no social life but a good degree, go to Cambridge.

If you want an awful degree that isnt even Economics, got Oxford.

LSE Economics graduates command the highest salaries because they are the best in the country.
(I know of at least 3 people in last 3 years who have moved from Cambridge Economics to LSE Economics as it is an average course based on Econ History)

Lol, this guy isn't worth listening to. His saying Oxford economics is an awful degree is indication enough.

The graduates who "command" the highest salaries are the ones that go into finance. Therefore, unless you believe that the best go into finance (and some actually do!), it's not a good metric for quality of graduate. And Cambridge's course just simply isn't based on economic history.

What are the odds he's an Oxbridge reject?! :tongue:
Why has this thread turned into a let's throw shade at different courses/unis :P All 3 courses are amazing LSE just has the advantage of being in London so more go into finance and Oxbridge are more research than practical based so more might go into higher higher...higher? education lol
Original post by p1128
Hi what did you end up applying to?

Economics and Management at Oxford, rejection pre-interview
What do they need to see on your ucas statement in terms of extra curricular activities or did you do anything specific experience wise when you applied for the course?

Latest

Trending

Trending