The Student Room Group

Studying medicine with mental health problems?

So, I’m a prospective medical student who is currently in Year 13 with interviews completed. I’m hoping to start studying medicine next year but am worried for my mental health. I think I have had mental health problems for about 5 years but I have never told anyone. This has included (suspected) depression to eating disorders (Despite never being diagnosed, I am attempting to identify any disorders through my symptoms.)

I have never disclosed any of this to any friends or family members, never mind a doctor so it terrifies me to ask for help but recently I have been so close to suicide that, for the sake of the people around me, I think that I should ask for help. However, the main reason that I have never reached out in the past is due to concern as to how this would affect my prospects as a medical student (mixed with how my family would react). I have tried to find solid information on what is done in a situation like this but everything is very vague online, as though they don’t want you to know what could happen. It seems as though it could be hard for me to get anywhere since I could be considered to be a risk to myself and/or to patients.

I understand that medical school is a very stressful place to be and therefore half of me wants to try and sort out my issues prior to getting there but another half of me is scared to death of whether I would even be allowed to study medicine or practice as a doctor if people know how my mental health is. I realise that the sensible thing to do in this situation is to put my health first and let my career fall into place once that is fixed, but honestly being a doctor means everything to me and the idea that one day I could be one is the only thing that is keeping me going at this point.

Any advice would be much appreciated and especially any information about what actually happens when a medical student has mental health problems. Thanks x
(edited 6 years ago)
https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/26588.asp

This link was written by the GMC and gives myth busters around mental health and fitness to practice. I found it helpful so you might as well.
Reply 2
I know it has been a couple of months since you posted but following on to what the previous poster said, definitely read the guidelines.I am in medical school at the moment (graduate on the 5-year course).

I was in a similar position in that I had mental health issues for a while prior to starting my course while studying my 1st degree. I had to disclose to my doctor when my symptoms got worse. Before you enter medical school your GP has to fill out a medical health form and they have to disclose any current mental health issues to your medical school.My medical school has an occupational health team that monitors you if you have a declared chronic illness.

It is ILLEGAL for the medical school to discriminate against you or not provide you support so they most definitely won't kick you out. Your medical school has to support you and keep track of you if you have a declared disability/chronic illness. The only time when you might be put up for a fitness to practise procedure is if you do not engage with any help or have no awareness of your illness.

In my case, I came straight out of my 1st degree and straight into another undergraduate course on the other side of the country with no friends and no support system. I soldiered on but by the time the summer came around I had to resit my exams and was such a nervous wreck. I decided to cut my losses go home and see a psychiatrist regularly. I then decided to take 2 years out to get better and have just restarted the course from scratch.

My advice to you is to go and see your GP, talk about your options medications/therapies. Try to access any help you have through charities that provide therapies for free or if you have the means find a recommended counsellor privately.

Really ask yourself:
1. Am I going to enjoy my university life if I go right now?
2. Do I have the skills, habits and tools to look after my mental health when I am in medical school?

Medical school is hard and long, you will need to motivate yourself through a lot of tedious and difficult work. The interesting things that remind people why they want to become a doctor do not genuinely surface until later in the course.

My ultimate advice is if you decided you are not ready, take a gap year. Get better, you deserve to enjoy your life while you are in medical school and not just struggle to get by. There is no shame in asking to defer or suspend your studies. It is relatively straightforward to get in touch with the medical school, tell them what has been going on and how you wish to proceed. They will not kick you out or take away your place.

Do not be scared to ask for help! I would have saved myself a lot of time if I had known this.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending