The Student Room Group

Do's and Don'ts of English speaking exam

Any last minute tips people would care to share? I have my exam first thing tomorrow. I have my speech written down and have practised it as much as possible.

Are cue cards allowed and is there any rules as to how many can be taken in and how many words they can be?

Finally, how do i respond to questions if I don't know the answer?
Reply 1
Original post by FarmerTom2002
Any last minute tips people would care to share? I have my exam first thing tomorrow. I have my speech written down and have practised it as much as possible.

Are cue cards allowed and is there any rules as to how many can be taken in and how many words they can be?

I got a distinction in my speech and these are the things I did:

- Used facts and statistics in my points
- Used anecdotes/analogies to keep audience interested
- Maintained eye contact (yes, one or two cue cards are allowed... but DO NOT read off of them! This will lose you marks)

For the questions, make sure your reply is developed and that you include facts or statistics.. if you're asked a question that you have no facts prepared for.. make them up!! I made up a statistic when answering one of my questions and your teacher/examiner probably isn't likely to check whether its true or not.

As long as you make sure that you've memorised your key points (so you don't have to keep referring to your cue cards) and you keep the audience engaged, you will be great!
Original post by datters
I got a distinction in my speech and these are the things I did:

- Used facts and statistics in my points
- Used anecdotes/analogies to keep audience interested
- Maintained eye contact (yes, one or two cue cards are allowed... but DO NOT read off of them! This will lose you marks)

For the questions, make sure your reply is developed and that you include facts or statistics.. if you're asked a question that you have no facts prepared for.. make them up!! I made up a statistic when answering one of my questions and your teacher/examiner probably isn't likely to check whether its true or not.

As long as you make sure that you've memorised your key points (so you don't have to keep referring to your cue cards) and you keep the audience engaged, you will be great!

What sort of questions are they likely to ask? would like to memorise some facts and think of some answers I could possibly use
Original post by FarmerTom2002

We were allowed cue cards for ours :smile: (AQA btw) No limit as far as I know, but obviously you don't want to be reading off of them constantly so don't have too many prompts or you'll just read them!
For the questions usually they'll just ask you to explain your opinion that you've stated further or expand on your point so hopefully you'll be able to answer them :smile: But if not then if you can say something relevant then do otherwise say something about "not having enough knowledge to be able to form an opinion" or similar :smile:
Sounds like you're really well prepared :smile:
Good luck :goodluck:
Rehearse it, in front of a mirror or an audience, several times.
Don't be nervous
If you don't know the answer, like in an interview, take a minute to formulate a response.
Try to think of the worst questions possible and make perfect answers to them.
Do maintain eye contact like a real conversation to keep it as natural as possible.

GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply

Latest