The Student Room Group

Should I do further maths a level?

I want to either go into medicine or something within maths. my current a level choices are biology, chemistry, maths and french. I just did my mocks and now have a 9 prediction in maths but i got Bs in sciences, although my predicted grades are still a/a*. Should i stick to my current choices or take further maths?
Reply 1
Some med schools count maths and further maths as one subject so be careful
Original post by HateOCR
Some med schools count maths and further maths as one subject so be careful

That makes no difference.

OP is doing bio + chemistry + maths anyways

If they do further maths instead then the ones that see them both as one A-Level will see the as having 3, which is what most ask for
Reply 3
Original post by Bill Nye
That makes no difference.

OP is doing bio + chemistry + maths anyways

If they do further maths instead then the ones that see them both as one A-Level will see the as having 3, which is what most ask for

It could matter as some unis like barts use tariff and if the a-level doesn’t count they wont get the extra points
I definitely recommend Further Maths, i originally took georgraphy but got to Octoer Half term and changed to Further Maths, it was the best descision I could have made! I find it much more rewarding, interesting and yes challenging than normal maths, it will help you develop new skills other subjects don't and it will make normal maths seem a lot easier!

Quick Reply

Latest