The Student Room Group

What's your stance on school uniforms?

There are a number of pros and cons often discussed around school uniform, ranging from the cost of it, to the deterrence of bullying. But what's your stance on it, and why?
Levels out the playing field, I remember on non-school uniform days certain kids would get bullied for not wearing the 'right' kind of clothes....this was the 90s though, maybe things are different now?
Reply 2
I love the idea of school uniforms, it’s a strong part of growing up british. Although I also enjoy fashion and used to make school uniform my own by adding a jumper or tie clip (in 6 form I wore more casual trousers, shirts and blazers and had different ties) but I think i would struggle to find something different every day that isn’t suit orientated and it would add unnecessary stress.

I think I’d stick to a casual suit but at the same time, if everyone else was wearing different/cool stuff I’d feel pressure to do the same. And that’s as a guy, can’t imagine what it’s like for girls. And it would certainly be tough for people who just don’t care about how they dress/don’t have money to buy good stuff/wear the same things. If people noticed me wearing the same belt for a few days and said something, imagine if I was wearing the same clothes everyday.

Perhaps schools could introduce more freedom for lower years like they do in 6 form? I found uniform in 6 form quite cool, especially towards mid-year 13 when we just didn’t really care at all (but still kept it smart-casual)
Original post by amibee
Levels out the playing field, I remember on non-school uniform days certain kids would get bullied for not wearing the 'right' kind of clothes....this was the 90s though, maybe things are different now?

It doesn't level out the playing field. It basically creates a giant sign above children from a poorer family when they cannot afford to buy new.

Even when I was in a secondary school with a fairly relaxed uniform, the jumpers were only obtainable from a single supplier, at an exorbitant cost (a 50x50mm embroidered logo on a coloured jumper didn't cost £60-70 each, anywhere else except the supplier) and this was back between 2001-2006.

You were expected to have everything with the logo's on it, and actually got penalised or reprimanded by the staff for not conforming.

It's even worse nowadays at that school as well, an entire set of "compulsory" uniform will cost the parent just shy of £400. If that would last a couple of years, it wouldn't be so bad, but for some students who are growing at a faster rate, that gets cripplingly expensive.

I went through 5 sizes in year 7/8, and had run out of larger sizes by year 9.

If school's want to enforce a uniform, it should be the school paying for it, not the parents.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GiantKiwi
It doesn't level out the playing field. It basically creates a giant sign above children from a poorer family when they cannot afford to buy new.

Even when I was in a secondary school with a fairly relaxed uniform, the jumpers were only obtainable from a single supplier, at an exorbitant cost (a 50x50mm embroidered logo on a coloured jumper didn't cost £60-70 each, anywhere else except the supplier) and this was back between 2001-2006.

You were expected to have everything with the logo's on it, and actually got penalised or reprimanded by the staff for not conforming.

It's even worse nowadays at that school as well, an entire set of "compulsory" uniform will cost the parent just shy of £400. If that would last a couple of years, it wouldn't be so bad, but for some students who are growing at a faster rate, that gets cripplingly expensive.

I went through 5 sizes in year 7/8, and had run out of larger sizes by year 9.

If school's want to enforce a uniform, it should be the school paying for it, not the parents.

Hmmm, perhaps you have a point there. I suppose the costs can be high whether it's for uniforms or regular clothes? Regular clothes can be pricey if children want to wear the 'cool' thing and be like their friends (pressure) and uniforms can be expensive when they are enforced? ...neither scenario seems ideal. I was just answering from my school experience where it was a shirt and black trousers/skirt. We didn't have blazers or anything massively expensive to buy. When I said level the playing field I mean that everyone looks the same, however, I get your point entirely, that some families cant keep buying new uniforms.
Reply 5
I agree with the idea of school uniform, as long as most of the school uniform can be bought from other retailers (rather than buying them from school-approved vendors).

Although I don't believe people in year 12 and 13 should wear school uniform.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think there's a difference between wearing an outfit which is representative of your school, which your peers also wear, and the fascist enforcement of absolutely standardised dress-coded for the sake of conformity. Too many schools can't distinguish between the two on their uniform policy. We have enough standardisation in the education system without pupils being screamed at for wearing earrings, or for someone facing detention for wearing the wrong type of shoe. Teachers have more important things to be concerned about.
It is a necessity. If there was no uniform you'd get people being bullied for wearing certain brands, people wearing totally inappropriate clothing or even getting robbed for their clothes. I witnessed all three of these on non uniform days at my school, and this was 15 years ago in a very middle class area. Dread to think how much worse it would be in an inner city school in special measures.

The main thing I disagree with is the cost, or the exclusivity surrounding it. Schools having their own logo on a PE kit for example then forcing you to buy it from their own supplier at a premium rate. I get that every school is broke at the moment but that is vile.

Ideally I think it should be a dress code like you'd have in a professional environment. I can wear any kind of shirt I want to work as long as it has a collar, for example. I can undertatnd requiring everyone to have the same blazer but if someone wants to wear a blue shirt instead of white one, or wear brown oxfords instead of those black shoes with the buckle every school boy had, they shouldn't be punished for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
My daughter wears a very smart business suit at her 6th form and she says it's so much easier as she does not have to think about what to wear etc.
On non uniform days she gets up earlier as she needs more time to get dressed.....
I agree that a uniform should be worn. But not one that's stupidly expensive.

Mine wasn't too bad. But now it's turned into an academy and they now wear blazers.
I agree with uniforms, as long as it’s fully enforced. Otherwise there is no point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending