The Student Room Group

Psychology - Schizophrenia

I am confused on what Antipsychotic antagonists do, I know that they block dopamine receptor sites but wouldn't that mean that there would be an increase in positive symptoms of Schizophrenia which is not what we want?
And then the difference between SSRI's as they increase the serotonin level which is what we want when treating depression. Please help!!
Reply 1
Original post by moobin
I am confused on what Antipsychotic antagonists do, I know that they block dopamine receptor sites but wouldn't that mean that there would be an increase in positive symptoms of Schizophrenia which is not what we want?
And then the difference between SSRI's as they increase the serotonin level which is what we want when treating depression. Please help!!

The theory is that schizophrenia is caused by too much dopamine, so by blocking their receptors you’re reducing the stimulation caused by it.

SSRIs block the re-uptake of serotonin, not the receptor, so they increase the time that serotonin can stimulate their receptors for, and make up for the reduction in serotonin that is believed to cause/contribute to depression.
Reply 2
Original post by moobin

By blocking dopamine receptor sites (especially D2) reduces all symptoms of sz. So both positive and negative symptoms reduce.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/the-dopamine-hypthesis

SSRI's relate to depression. They only work on serotonin and ensure that none get taken back up. They are not used for sz.

Quick Reply

Latest