The Student Room Group
Both are good universities, Have you tried applying to Charles University? As far as I know I feel like its more reputable and more of a prestigious university than the other two, I am going to Charles University 1st Facutly this year aswell.

I don't know if its true but I've heard alot of stuff about majority of the students at masaryk being kicked out during their studies and the oral exams are pretty intense kind of like a driving test as one of my friends told me, You go into the exam and you may pass or fail and you probably won't even know why, This may not apply to you if you're among the best few in your class, I suggest you do your research and then make a decision.
Reply 2
Original post by HarshitaN
I am a student from India and i've recently been offered a place at both Masaryk and Palacky university for the course of general medicine. So i'm in a dilemma as to which one to choose .any suggestion will be appreciated :smile:

Hi :smile: Quick background (3rd year medical student at Masaryk). I would say the only real difference between Prague, Brno and Palacky is the size of the city (Prague is a typical large-sized city, very touristy and always stuff to do. Brno is in the middle, not too large and busy but not too small either. Palacky is smaller than Brno but I know people still have a good time there.

In terms of studies, the common misconception is that the entrance exams are ranked in difficulty in the same order (Charles=hardest, Olomouc=easiest, Masaryk=somewhere in between). Many people also then assume that the course itself reflects on this. All I can tell you is at Masaryk, you won't be spoon fed anything. Many people find that fact out the hard way. Its 3 years of preclinical subjects (Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Microbiology, etc) followed by 3 years of clinical subjects (Surgery, Internal medicine, etc) That structure is virtually the same across the 2 universities. You have to remember that we're all in the same country and so the education system is really not that different (for e.g how medicine in the UK/Masaryk is different).

I was told by the agency I applied with (Abbey College, Malvern) that a big difference was the level of interaction between students and professors. I was told you get the least support at Charles and the most at Palacky. (with Masaryk again being in the middle). I have no idea how true this is but is goes back to the "spoon feeding" statement I made earlier (if you have the initiative to ask questions and show an interest, the professors will happily help). If you have any questions at all about Masaryk or Brno, I'm happy to help :smile: Best of luck
Reply 3
Thanks a ton for the info. Replying late because I had final exams but your views helped me decide and I chose Masaryk. I'm joining there in September,so can you suggest which residence hall to pick for accomodation ? Also lemme know what essential stuff to bring along with me from home while joining . Thanks in advance for the help! :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by HarshitaN
Thanks a ton for the info. Replying late because I had final exams but your views helped me decide and I chose Masaryk. I'm joining there in September,so can you suggest which residence hall to pick for accomodation ? Also lemme know what essential stuff to bring along with me from home while joining . Thanks in advance for the help! :wink:

Hi there.

Apologies for the delayed response. I would go for vinarska (lipova). It hasnt been the most popular choice (the majority of students opting for their own private 1 bedroom apartments) but those halls have recently been renovated.

Essential stuff? What do you mean by that? Please be more specific :smile: study materials?
Hello there, I am currently deciding between these universities. With particular reference to Masaryk University, are the medical degrees recognized in India? This is because of the NEET exam that has to be done by students who want to study abroad, and I don't want my degree to lie dormant in India if the MCI declines these qualifications.

Thanks in advance. I do understand if you take time, since you are a current third year med student.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending