The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Physics Paper 1 7408/1 - 04 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladkus
The light ray is entering the medium on the right hand side (indicated by the direction of the arrow) and the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are always measured to the normal.

yeah i didnt realise the dotted line was the normal
Original post by G.Y
And derivation of dsin theta = n lamda

It’s given in the formula booklet but you need to know the derivation

yh it's fairly simple. just a bit of trig really.
Original post by G.Y
And derivation of dsin theta = n lamda

It’s given in the formula booklet but you need to know the derivation

do we really? :bawling:
Original post by BTAnonymous
Something I learned today was the maximum order is equal to the 'diffraction grating/the wavelength' or 'd/lambda'.

Maximum number of Maxima is 2n+1 (+1 comes from central Maxima).

what is here in the number of maxima one?
With the top one I guess its just sin 90 =1 and past that itlle go behind the grating. note you will always have to round down right?
Original post by yusyus
what is here in the number of maxima one?
With the top one I guess its just sin 90 =1 and past that itlle go behind the grating. note you will always have to round down right?

thats what it essentially is because what is sin of 90? 1. so you get d = n * lambda and then divide by lambda to get the equation.

it's just a little equation which might be handy if it comes up.
thats what it essentially is because what is sin of 90? 1. so you get d = n * lambda and then divide by lambda to get the equation.

it's just a little equation which might be handy if it comes up.

yeah, what is n in the number of maxima one though?
Original post by yusyus
yeah, what is n in the number of maxima one though?

n is just the order of Maxima. Ie, how many Maxima away from the central Maxima. it's the same as d sin theta = n lambda but since we want the maximum number of Maxima which can be viewed, let theta = 90 so therefore

d sin90 = n lambda --> d = n lambda --> d/n = lambda

hence the equation the maximum number of Maxima which can be viewed for a certain wavelength.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 187
How long do people normally leave for the multiple choice section? I usually leave about 30 minutes (just over a minute for a mark) but tend to run out of time on the last questions.
n is just the order of Maxima. Ie, how many Maxima away from the central Maxima

I mean you wrote maximum number of maxima is 2n+1.
Is that for double slit or something else? what's n in that? ik n in diffraction grating is the order
Original post by JZ7800
How long do people normally leave for the multiple choice section? I usually leave about 30 minutes (just over a minute for a mark) but tend to run out of time on the last questions.

yeah same. time is difficult now because I spend a lot of time reading the questions.

my thinking is that if I take a little more time to ensure I don't make a big calculation error which can f*** up a whole question, then missing the last 3-4 multiple choice questions isn't a big deal if I score a majority of marks for the big questions
Original post by yusyus
Is that for double slit or something else? what's n in that? ik n in diffraction grating is the order

oh that. if you have the textbook it's on page 86. n is just the greatest maxima observed.

it's common sense if you think about it because the 2n indicates that there are Maxima on both sides of the central Maxima and the +1 takes into account the central Maxima, hence you can find the number of Maxima observed.
Reply 191
Original post by yusyus

It’s still for the order of a diffraction grating
oh that. if you have the textbook it's on page 86. n is just the greatest maxima observed.

it's common sense if you think about it because the 2n indicates that there are Maxima on both sides of the central Maxima and the +1 takes into account the central Maxima, hence you can find the number of Maxima observed.

ahh just never seen it before but yeah it makes sense. Not sure if I have the same textbook (although ive lost mine anyway) but could be a good shortcut if it comes up.
btw im currently looking for harder electricity questions - do you have any reccomendations?
Original post by yusyus
ahh just never seen it before but yeah it makes sense. Not sure if I have the same textbook (although ive lost mine anyway) but could be a good shortcut if it comes up.
btw im currently looking for harder electricity questions - do you have any reccomendations?

You are, are you? Here's one of the worst questions from AS Paper 1 May 2018:
Page 14.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
trig.jpg
Ignore the answers I attempted and enjoy.
Original post by Black-Photon
Page 14.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
trig.jpg

Need mark scheme for this or else trying this will create more confusion.
Original post by Black-Photon
Page 14.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
trig.jpg

this does look hard haha ill try it
Original post by yusyus
this does look hard haha ill try it

Original post by Lawlerfhfbdj

Good luck! As so new there's no official mark scheme, but it's Question 6 on the unofficial mark scheme here.
Original post by yusyus

ooooh electricity. I used to suck at that so much but I'm more confident now.

If youve done most of the past papers in the last 8-10 years then I don't know any hard electricity questions sorry.

I think the hardest type they could throw is a tricky potential divider question imo.
Original post by Lawlerfhfbdj

Bro, please don't show me your nails.

Ty for the question though. will have a go to see how far I get before I start summoning the devil to send to aqa
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending