HORRIBLE PAPER!! :cry:30%
Total votes: 240

AQA AS Chemistry Exam Discussions - 2018 Edition

Hi! Figured I would make this one seeing as no one else has so far :tongue:

Paper 1
Date: 22 May 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1hr 30mins

Specification: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/specifications/AQA-7404-7405-SP-2015.PDF
Past papers: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/assessment-resources

Resources
Although Chemistry isn't in the title, Physics and Maths Tutor is pretty good and has questions by topic for other exam boards that we can practise with, which is good :biggrin: The link is here: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-aqa/
ChemRevise also has some really good revision guides that are pretty good as well. The link is here: https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/
Another useful website: https://technocratnotes.com/year-1-as/aqa/chemistry/paper-1/
Yet another useful website: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/1st-year-and-as-level.html
I think Revision Planet is linked to Technocrat notes or something like that but they have video playlists which go through everything in this paper: http://revisionplanet.co.uk/paper-1/

Good luck with preparation!! And if you have other great resources, please post them below :biggrin:

Other AQA Chemistry Exams
AQA AS Chemistry Paper 2

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT THE QUESTIONS. I DO NOT HAVE THEM AND WILL NOT DISCLOSE THEM IF YOU NEED THEM FOR MOCKS, ETC.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone have the question about copper in the 2017 as a picture or a description on how to get 967 tonnes
Reply 2
Original post by toton
anyone have the question about copper in the 2017 as a picture or a description on how to get 967 tonnes

sorry... I think that's still a locked paper right now so maybe ask your teachers if they can give it to you :redface:
Original post by toton

Just saw this, I'll answer it as no one else has

One way of doing this is by first considering the % of Cu in CuFeS2, that's Mr of Cu/Mr of CuFeS2, which is 34.6%

We can then find out the amount of Cu overall in the rock, by considering the fact that, say if we have 100g of the rock and Cu constitutes 34.6g, as it's 34.6%, and this CuFeS2 is only 1.25% of the entire rock, we can find the Cu percentage in the entire rock by

34.6/100 x 1.25, which is 0.4325%

You can then proceed by saying that 4050000g of wire is 0.4325% of the mass of the entire rock you need, which should get an answer around 936
(edited 5 years ago)
Also bumping this thread because AQA chemistry seems lonely, at least it's not OCR
Reply 5
Original post by thotproduct
Also bumping this thread because AQA chemistry seems lonely, at least it's not OCR

Again, why are you on a thread that's not your exam board? :laugh:
Original post by nyxnko_
Again, why are you on a thread that's not your exam board? :laugh:

This is my exam board! I was initially entered for A2 AQA but I wanted to do Chemistry in the 2 years instead of 1 so Im in AS
Reply 7
This is my exam board! I was initially entered for A2 AQA but I wanted to do Chemistry in the 2 years instead of 1 so Im in AS

:oops: :sorry:
Sorry, I thought you'd be on OCR for Chem as well :tongue: Why 2 years if you can fit it into 1?
Original post by nyxnko_
:oops: :sorry:
Sorry, I thought you'd be on OCR for Chem as well :tongue: Why 2 years if you can fit it into 1?

Nope! OCR for everything except Chemistry.

Well long story short, one that began when I got bored in a GCSE class, and started learning AS content, you know when you find something super exciting at the time and just read more and more and more, and then you get to the end. That happened. Then when I got pipped up to A2 class, around mid y12, not only did I realise that this was a lot of extra effort, I was also afraid of it looking booky because I'm not taking everything in one sitting....and this isn't Maths. (Additionally, we didn't have time to squeeze out all 12 CPACs in time), and didn't want to neglect my other subs, so alas!

(I probably should've found another way to fill my boredom in GCSE class :rofl:)
Reply 9
Nope! OCR for everything except Chemistry.

Well long story short, one that began when I got bored in a GCSE class, and started learning AS content, you know when you find something super exciting at the time and just read more and more and more, and then you get to the end. That happened. Then when I got pipped up to A2 class, around mid y12, not only did I realise that this was a lot of extra effort, I was also afraid of it looking booky because I'm not taking everything in one sitting....and this isn't Maths. (Additionally, we didn't have time to squeeze out all 12 CPACs in time), and didn't want to neglect my other subs, so alas!

(I probably should've found another way to fill my boredom in GCSE class :rofl:)

Now that is just plain annoying when you have one annoying little exam board that's different from everything else!
I bet you aced GCSE Chemistry after learning AS content. Honestly, I should have done that for Maths. GCSE Maths was an absolute breeze. Yeah, forgot about core pracs for a minute there :facepalm:
No, it was definitely a good use of your boredom. Are you now going to be bored of A-level Chemistry and start learning degree-level stuff?
Original post by nyxnko_
Now that is just plain annoying when you have one annoying little exam board that's different from everything else!
I bet you aced GCSE Chemistry after learning AS content. Honestly, I should have done that for Maths. GCSE Maths was an absolute breeze. Yeah, forgot about core pracs for a minute there :facepalm:
No, it was definitely a good use of your boredom. Are you now going to be bored of A-level Chemistry and start learning degree-level stuff?

Yeah, it's a bit anomalous but tbh I wish I had AQA for Physics too! The questions in our textbooks don't actually have answers :rofl:.

I guess! I got full in GCSE Chem, tbh I only phased more into it out of a hatred of Biology lool, (tbh I got full in Computing too, just goes to show how much of a meme GCSEs were)

We kinda had that, but with GCSE Further Maths (For us OCR boys it was Additional Maths), but that only really taught you the C1 basics, I remember feeling so excited when I taught someone to integrate x^2 in Y11 :rofl:

Tbh the Chemistry core pracs are absolutely lethal, someone I know accidentally DRANK potassium dichromate,

cue "did my lungs oxidise"

Perhaps, but I'll first figure out what I'm doing for a degree first! :rofl:
Reply 11
Yeah, it's a bit anomalous but tbh I wish I had AQA for Physics too! The questions in our textbooks don't actually have answers :rofl:.

I guess! I got full in GCSE Chem, tbh I only phased more into it out of a hatred of Biology lool, (tbh I got full in Computing too, just goes to show how much of a meme GCSEs were)

We kinda had that, but with GCSE Further Maths (For us OCR boys it was Additional Maths), but that only really taught you the C1 basics, I remember feeling so excited when I taught someone to integrate x^2 in Y11 :rofl:

Tbh the Chemistry core pracs are absolutely lethal, someone I know accidentally DRANK potassium dichromate,

cue "did my lungs oxidise"

Perhaps, but I'll first figure out what I'm doing for a degree first! :rofl:

I have AQA for Physics :eviltongue: The practice questions at the end of each chapter don't have answers in the book but with the power of the internet, anything is possible!
:laugh: I liked Biology, just not as much as Chem and Physics :tongue: Tbh, GCSEs were pretty straightforward.
So did I. We did CCEA Further Maths, which is about as much of a joke as they all are. It does cover most of the mechanics in Applied and some stats in new spec Applied so... :dontknow: It's not too bad.
What even?!? :eek3: Did their lungs turn green? Orange? It's one way or the other.. Will need to brush up on that soon.
:rofl: Have you not quite decided yet? I was actually convinced you would be doing Chemistry because you actually spent time learning AS content instead of revising for GCSEs :tongue:
Original post by nyxnko_
I have AQA for Physics :eviltongue: The practice questions at the end of each chapter don't have answers in the book but with the power of the internet, anything is possible!
:laugh: I liked Biology, just not as much as Chem and Physics :tongue: Tbh, GCSEs were pretty straightforward.
So did I. We did CCEA Further Maths, which is about as much of a joke as they all are. It does cover most of the mechanics in Applied and some stats in new spec Applied so... :dontknow: It's not too bad.
What even?!? :eek3: Did their lungs turn green? Orange? It's one way or the other.. Will need to brush up on that soon.
:rofl: Have you not quite decided yet? I was actually convinced you would be doing Chemistry because you actually spent time learning AS content instead of revising for GCSEs :tongue:

tbh it's actually shambolic on OCR, we found this question in the back of the book that was a 6 marker, spent a good chunk of time trying to solve it, found the rare answers on the internet only for it to say "there actually is no answer to this question", oof

Yeah, I got away with my AS obsession during GCSEs, well, except for any essay subjects I did, however my secret recipe for essay success was learning 4 quotes and waffling, I had a nice little 1:1 ratio between quotes and pages, and a bit of praying I didn't get the wrong poem, that was the secret to grade 9 in Lit :rofl:

Tbh I think it's almost universal that most FM/AddMaths GCSEs give you the textbooks and teach you like 4 topics a month before the exam, that was the case for me :colondollar:

Tbh I was curious if his lungs had oxidised to an aldehyde or a ketone so I was hoping to dash some Tollens in there too, if he turns blue then a silver mirror must have formed :u:

No clue! Which is quite concerning actually: Maths is my primary, then Engineering (of the Chemical variety), and perhaps NatSci, but that's meh, how about you? You have the vibe of someone doing NatSci :rofl:
Reply 13
tbh it's actually shambolic on OCR, we found this question in the back of the book that was a 6 marker, spent a good chunk of time trying to solve it, found the rare answers on the internet only for it to say "there actually is no answer to this question", oof

Yeah, I got away with my AS obsession during GCSEs, well, except for any essay subjects I did, however my secret recipe for essay success was learning 4 quotes and waffling, I had a nice little 1:1 ratio between quotes and pages, and a bit of praying I didn't get the wrong poem, that was the secret to grade 9 in Lit :rofl:

Tbh I think it's almost universal that most FM/AddMaths GCSEs give you the textbooks and teach you like 4 topics a month before the exam, that was the case for me :colondollar:

Tbh I was curious if his lungs had oxidised to an aldehyde or a ketone so I was hoping to dash some Tollens in there too, if he turns blue then a silver mirror must have formed :u:

No clue! Which is quite concerning actually: Maths is my primary, then Engineering (of the Chemical variety), and perhaps NatSci, but that's meh, how about you? You have the vibe of someone doing NatSci :rofl:

:eek: I would have actually dropped Physics at that point :colondollar:

I hated English. I was so done by the end that I was like... no. and put down all my revision and was like... Still, I was really really bad at waffling so...

Not really. My teacher was like... learn the course yourself so I ended up finishing in like March and spent 2 months just doing past papers.

Ahhh... What a pity you didn't manage to do that... Did you have time to try Fehling's instead? Although I can't think of any ways you could tell it turned red.

Oh okay. (That's really creepy because that's exactly how I ended up picking NatSci :colondollar:)
As for me having a NatSci vibe, maybe you've just seen one of my many posts about NatSci :tongue:
Original post by nyxnko_
:eek: I would have actually dropped Physics at that point :colondollar:

I hated English. I was so done by the end that I was like... no. and put down all my revision and was like... Still, I was really really bad at waffling so...

Not really. My teacher was like... learn the course yourself so I ended up finishing in like March and spent 2 months just doing past papers.

Ahhh... What a pity you didn't manage to do that... Did you have time to try Fehling's instead? Although I can't think of any ways you could tell it turned red.

Oh okay. (That's really creepy because that's exactly how I ended up picking NatSci :colondollar:)
As for me having a NatSci vibe, maybe you've just seen one of my many posts about NatSci :tongue:

Same tbh but I love it really, are you planning on keeping all 4?

Me too, I just shivered at the idea that there isn't really a sense of absolutism with English, with Maths? You're either right or you're wrong, that was cool and good (although you can get ECF marks in Physics :colondollar:). With English it's like everyone's right yet everyone's wrong and it's so subjective ugh yuck

I was tempted to try other tests, but the classic in our class is huddling around a glowing splint and them trying to breath on it in their attempts to 'relight' it, they haven't quite grasped the nuances of carbon dioxide being exhaled and not oxygen :rofl:

I may have indeed :tongue:, I'm an avid reader of GYGs, especially those who do the same subs as I, but I realise that I've just left mine to die (haven't updated since like Jan or Feb looool)

I take it you is wanting to do Physical NatSci, have you visited a college yet?
Reply 15
Same tbh but I love it really, are you planning on keeping all 4?

Me too, I just shivered at the idea that there isn't really a sense of absolutism with English, with Maths? You're either right or you're wrong, that was cool and good (although you can get ECF marks in Physics :colondollar:). With English it's like everyone's right yet everyone's wrong and it's so subjective ugh yuck

I was tempted to try other tests, but the classic in our class is huddling around a glowing splint and them trying to breath on it in their attempts to 'relight' it, they haven't quite grasped the nuances of carbon dioxide being exhaled and not oxygen :rofl:

I may have indeed :tongue:, I'm an avid reader of GYGs, especially those who do the same subs as I, but I realise that I've just left mine to die (haven't updated since like Jan or Feb looool)

I take it you is wanting to do Physical NatSci, have you visited a college yet?

I don't know. I would like to but it seems like a lot of work so I'm going to wait and see how my AS grades turn out and then decide.

OMG YES!! Like, someone could interpret a poem one way and I could interpret it the other but both of them would be right and I was like... mind=blown. WHY?!?

That's very concerning if that's an A-level Chemistry class going on, although I'm sure we do breath out some oxygen, just not a lot of it.

Same! :five: Although yes, I haven't read anything of yours recently.
You probably have read mine somewhere :yes:

I did want to do Biological NatSci at one point but then I spoke to a bunch of people and they were all like, you can still take a biological module without having done Biology and still be doing Physical NatSci so yes, I currently want to do Physical NatSci.
No, I haven't visited a college. I don't think I will, actually. I don't really feel a need to and I don't exactly have any questions that I'm dying to ask so... :dontknow:
Ideally keeping all 4, but I may be taking an extra AS next year, we'll have to see!

The worst part about all of this is that the authors probably never had all these ideas in mind! They just wrote what they thought, I don't think Shakespeare was gasping in awe over some sibilance or onomatopoeia, it's just english teachers who need a way to make our lives hell.

Oh yeah, that's for sure, though with the amount of oxygen we do exhale, it will probably take more than 3 people to relight that splint :rofl:

I'll update it on A Level results day :colondollar:

Physical NatSci does indeed look interesting, the NatSci peeps are another level, they're gods at not just one subject but many! I'm sure you'll fit in nicely!

Ah, tbh I just visited for the tour tbh but there's really no requirement or need to if you know what you gotta do, you have a particular college in mind to apply to? Or not thought of that yet
Reply 17
Ideally keeping all 4, but I may be taking an extra AS next year, we'll have to see!

The worst part about all of this is that the authors probably never had all these ideas in mind! They just wrote what they thought, I don't think Shakespeare was gasping in awe over some sibilance or onomatopoeia, it's just english teachers who need a way to make our lives hell.

Oh yeah, that's for sure, though with the amount of oxygen we do exhale, it will probably take more than 3 people to relight that splint :rofl:

I'll update it on A Level results day :colondollar:

Physical NatSci does indeed look interesting, the NatSci peeps are another level, they're gods at not just one subject but many! I'm sure you'll fit in nicely!

Ah, tbh I just visited for the tour tbh but there's really no requirement or need to if you know what you gotta do, you have a particular college in mind to apply to? Or not thought of that yet

Are you going to take Bio or something? CompSci?

Hmmm.. more like exam boards... They can't exactly test us like... What was the main character of Shakespeare's play Othello called?

:laugh: True

Looking forward to your many As! :biggrin:

It does look really interesting, although I'm not sure I'm a god at any subject... :colondollar:

I'm currently very confused but by college, I guess you mean uni? I would love love love to get into Cambridge but realistically, I don't think I'll get in. I'm also looking at Durham and Nottingham and just to make up 5, I'm going for York and Bath.
What about you? Have you thought about which ones you want to apply to?
Original post by nyxnko_
Are you going to take Bio or something? CompSci?

Hmmm.. more like exam boards... They can't exactly test us like... What was the main character of Shakespeare's play Othello called?

:laugh: True

Looking forward to your many As! :biggrin:

It does look really interesting, although I'm not sure I'm a god at any subject... :colondollar:

I'm currently very confused but by college, I guess you mean uni? I would love love love to get into Cambridge but realistically, I don't think I'll get in. I'm also looking at Durham and Nottingham and just to make up 5, I'm going for York and Bath.
What about you? Have you thought about which ones you want to apply to?

I currently do AS Japanese (JLPT, it's a long story), as a little side thing at home, if I don't do it this year, I will most likely do it next year. I self taught myself the theory for AS CS too, so either one really, I need to make sure I'm not failing my real ones! :rofl:

A fair point, though my life would be a lot better if they were the questions

Depends how well this FM goes, I hope for >90% in pure (Especially as this is my crutch for Stats)

Nuuu

Ah, if you're not aware of the Collegiate system for Cambridge? Basically the university isn't just one centralized thing, but split up into several 'colleges', where you eat, sleep, and generally inhabit, however the lectures you have involve people from all colleges, if that makes any sense. Think of it like different houses in hogwarts (bad comparison!), but 31 of them.

Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, any a random 5th choice idk :rofl:

Durham is a very beautiful Uni too (they also have the collegiate system), it's right up north but very natural, very picture-esque.
Reply 19
I currently do AS Japanese (JLPT, it's a long story), as a little side thing at home, if I don't do it this year, I will most likely do it next year. I self taught myself the theory for AS CS too, so either one really, I need to make sure I'm not failing my real ones! :rofl:

A fair point, though my life would be a lot better if they were the questions

Depends how well this FM goes, I hope for >90% in pure (Especially as this is my crutch for Stats)

Nuuu

Ah, if you're not aware of the Collegiate system for Cambridge? Basically the university isn't just one centralized thing, but split up into several 'colleges', where you eat, sleep, and generally inhabit, however the lectures you have involve people from all colleges, if that makes any sense. Think of it like different houses in hogwarts (bad comparison!), but 31 of them.

Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, any a random 5th choice idk :rofl:

Durham is a very beautiful Uni too (they also have the collegiate system), it's right up north but very natural, very picture-esque.

OMG that's so cool!! I wish I could do Japanese AS. (I'm rubbish at languages)
Don't feel you need to do either if your 4 is enough. :yep:

Same... I'd have gotten full marks in English Lit.

Ambitious! But good for you!

Yuuuusssss!

I was aware. It's just the way you phrased it made it sound as though you were talking about unis in general :colondollar: :tongue: I'm hoping to get into Peterhouse at Cambridge. What about you? Have you chosen yours yet?
Soz, that was definitely a really bad comparison. I want to say you're in Ravenclaw...

It's part of the reason why I want to go to Durham. It's very pretty.

Quick Reply

Latest