The Student Room Group

Man found guilty of being "grossly offensive" after teaching pet dog to heil Hitler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
But, taken in context with the previous post I'm guessing you're some sort of nazi-sympathist? If so, I'd suggest learning a bit about history :yy:

blah, blah , blah .....yawn
Reply 81
Original post by Axiomasher
It doesn't really matter whether something is presented as if a joke, you don't just get away with racism by using that tactic, or at least you shouldn't.

Of course context matters, don’t be ridiculous. He was turning something cute into something evil as part of a joke/prank on his girlfriend. He shows that he is not a Nazi and does not believe the statements he made as PART OF THE JOKE by saying that Nazis were the most evil thing he could think of.
Original post by ax12
Of course context matters, don’t be ridiculous. He was turning something cute into something evil as part of a joke/prank on his girlfriend. He shows that he is not a Nazi and does not believe the statements he made as PART OF THE JOKE by saying that Nazis were the most evil thing he could think of.

He can say what he wants to explain what he was doing but it was for the court to be convinced in the end. I don't know the man but anyone who makes a publicly viewable video in which they utter the words 'Gas the Jews' 23 times is either a neo-Nazi or is an utter moron, regardless of whether he uses a dog as an apparent joke prop. Either way I won't be shedding tears, will you please shed some extra ones for me?
Reply 83
[QUOTE="Axiomasher;76733008"]He can say what he wants to explain what he was doing but it was for the court to be convinced in the end. I don't know the man but anyone who makes a publicly viewable video in which they utter the words 'Gas the Jews' 23 times is either a neo-Nazi or is an utter moron, regardless of whether he uses a dog as an apparent joke prop. Either way I won't be shedding tears, will you please shed some extra ones for
He can say what he wants to explain what he was doing but it was for the court to be convinced in the end. I don't know the man but anyone who makes a publicly viewable video in which they utter the words 'Gas the Jews' 23 times is either a neo-Nazi or is an utter moron, regardless of whether he uses a dog as an apparent joke prop. Either way I won't be shedding tears, will you please shed some extra ones for me?

‘Utter moron’ isn’t a reason to go to jail, we’re talking about a person’s life here.
The Sheriff determined that the video was "threatening and grossly offensive." and that Meechan was guilty of sending by "means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character". If he was a minor I might have had a little more sympathy but he's an adult and should have pondered for a moment where a video, in which he says 'Gas the Jews' 23 times, might take him. Nobody wants to take responsibility for what they say these days, it's just 'a joke'. No, it's not 'just a joke' it is grossly offensive to decent people.
The Sheriff determined that the video was "threatening and grossly offensive." and that Meechan was guilty of sending by "means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character". If he was a minor I might have had a little more sympathy but he's an adult and should have pondered for a moment where a video, in which he says 'Gas the Jews' 23 times, might take him. Nobody wants to take responsibility for what they say these days, it's just 'a joke'. No, it's not 'just a joke' it is grossly offensive to decent people.
Offense is taken, not given. It was just a joke, if you're offended that's your own fault.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Offense is taken, not given. It was just a joke, if you're offended that's your own fault.

Doesn't quite work that way in the real world, does it? Hate speech laws are not new; for much of human history, there have been legal and/or social repurcussions for grossly offensive speech.

Really? So, will you be writing a stern letter to the Sheriff concerned? Good luck with that.
Original post by the bear
why should comedians be allowed to break the law ? oh because they are comedians.... wtf ?

He didnt break any actual laws. He was found guilty because the judge thought what he did was ''grossly offensive" , but thats completely subjective.
But take away the cute dog, which has no idea what is going on, then all you have is a guy more-or-less chanting "Gas the Jews" in a public place.

That has got to be the dumbest argument ive ever heard. You're literally saying 'but if this happened instead of this then id be right'.
Original post by Radioactivedecay
He didnt break any actual laws. He was found guilty because the judge thought what he did was ''grossly offensive" , but thats completely subjective.

the judge was right.
Original post by Fran2311
But saying he doesn't support Nazis does not make the joke any less offensive. It's just not something that should be done.

You're saying if a random person, anyone at all found something offensive, it should be illegal? Thats the completely opposite of free speech, of what his country supposedly stands for. You're prosecuting a guy just because you disagree with him, really?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
the judge was right.

Correction: "I think the judge is right."
Also, being grossly offensive isnt against the law. Many comedians do it, why aren't you criticizing them?
Correction: "I think the judge is right."
Also, being grossly offensive isnt against the law. Many comedians do it, why aren't you criticizing them?

if you bothered to read the whole thread you would see what i had to say about them.
Nice to know the police have there priorities right.
Thousands of terrorists roam the streets while Daniel a has been jailed for a trivial reason. Antifa have won, Westminster is spineless hate crime is not a conventional crime-possibly the only law you can get convicted on the basis of interpretation or someones opinion.

If he has been found guilty of an offence under the law then he has 'broken the law' that's what the term means.
That has got to be the dumbest argument ive ever heard. You're literally saying 'but if this happened instead of this then id be right'.

You should get out more. Being grossly offensive or threatening doesn't suddenly stop being an offence just because you've dressed your words up with a dog in a video. Ultimately it is for the courts to determine whether such a communication reaches the threshold of being 'grossly' offensive (as opposed to being merely offensive) or threatening. And it's not a case of if A (words) instead of B (dog) but rather that A with B doesn't detract from the presence of A.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Doesn't quite work that way in the real world, does it? Hate speech laws are not new; for much of human history, there have been legal and/or social repurcussions for grossly offensive speech.

If he has been found guilty of an offence under the law then he has 'broken the law' that's what the term means.

Irrelevant. The question is not whether these laws exist, its the degree to which they're authoritarian (draconian even) and overreaching in order to control public discourse (which they are).
Irrelevant. The question is not whether these laws exist, its the degree to which they're authoritarian (draconian even) and overreaching in order to control public discourse (which they are).

I don't think they're draconian. You're free to move to an anarchist state if you desire absolute free-speech.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I don't think they're draconian. You're free to move to an anarchist state if you desire absolute free-speech.
That's nice, and it's a good job you're in the minority. I sure could, or I could idk, move to the US. Not that this has anything to do with requiring absolute free-speech, because your mental capacity would need to be that of a retard for you to seriously place this man's actions within the realm of hate speech.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending