The Student Room Group

What's the point in working for A*s?

Question I said there. If you know you can meet an offer of A*AA/AAA without too much effort what's the point in trying to go above?

From what I've seen a lot of companies ask for AAB so is there actually any benefit trying to get above the offer when you could spend more time having fun?
Some unis give money to high achievers and employers may look at them and higher grades will naturally look better (although it will be a very small factor if considered at all).

So for the most part, just have fun. It's the same at uni where you only need 70% for a 1st then there's nothing (at most unis) above that.
Original post by Student-95
Some unis give money to high achievers and employers may look at them and higher grades will naturally look better (although it will be a very small factor if considered at all).

So for the most part, just have fun. It's the same at uni where you only need 70% for a 1st then there's nothing (at most unis) above that.

I swear the majority that do that are lower down Russel group universities though and still it's for A*AA maximum.

There's no grade above a 1st though so employers wouldn't usually know anyway whereas with A levels there is a grade above the A that employers can see but from what it seems as long as you have the minimum grades you aren't at a huge advantage for having better grades.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
I swear the majority that do that are lower down Russel group universities though and still it's for A*AA maximum.

There's no grade above a 1st though so employers wouldn't usually know anyway whereas with A levels there is a grade above the A that employers can see but from what it seems as long as you have the minimum grades you aren't at a huge advantage for having better grades.

Pretty much. Employers care more about skills and experience.
Original post by Student-95
Pretty much. Employers care more about skills and experience.

So with that even the uni grade and uni doesn't matter after the first job right?

Eh but that's just people being arrogant. Be like one of those straight A* GCSE people who still get rejected from top unis.
PRSOM :frown:
So with that even the uni grade and uni doesn't matter after first job right?

Even for the first job they don't matter that much. There are some exceptions but generally employers won't care much about your uni or the grade as long as it meets their requirements (usually 2:1).
Yeah but from what I've seen the minimum for jobs is usually AAB and I should be able to get at least A*AAA with not too much struggle. None of the universities with offers above A*AA want me so it makes me question why I should work harder. I understand a lot of the content well too. I like working hard but I kind of feel a lack of motivation when it feels like it's all for nothing.
I worked for it for myself. I didn't need it for the offer but I was always determined to do the best I could
Original post by melwilliams3000
I worked for it for myself. I didn't need it for the offer but I was always determined to do the best I could

So what did it mean to you?
So what did it mean to you?

I'm a bit of an exam perfectionist. If i didn't get it i knew i would look back and think i should have worked harder and regretted it.

On the jobs side i do think it didn't make much of a difference as employers would always value relevant work experience over an A vs A* in most jobs

Quick Reply

Latest