The Student Room Group

HELP ! CHEM question on practical techniques in organic synthesis

hey :tongue:

i was reading my revision guide on the distillation apparatus and im confused as to what they are saying " if the product of a reaction has a lower boiling point than the starting materials then the reaction mixture can be heated so that the product evaporates from the mixture as it forms" what is it trying to say? and why would the product have lower boiling point?

thank you , i would appreciate the help so much :tongue:
Original post by Sadilla
hey :tongue:

i was reading my revision guide on the distillation apparatus and im confused as to what they are saying " if the product of a reaction has a lower boiling point than the starting materials then the reaction mixture can be heated so that the product evaporates from the mixture as it forms" what is it trying to say? and why would the product have lower boiling point?

thank you , i would appreciate the help so much :tongue:

This is the case in the synthesis of aldehydes by oxidation of primary alcohols.

Aldehydes (London dispersion forces and dipole-dipole interactions) have a much lower boiling point than the parent alcohol (London dispersion and hydrogen bonding) and so can be distilled off as soon as they are formed.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
This is the case in the synthesis of aldehydes by oxidation of primary alcohols.

Aldehydes (London dispersion forces and dipole-dipole interactions) have a much lower boiling point than the parent alcohol (London dispersion and hydrogen bonding) and so can be distilled off as soon as they are formed.

why are they distilled off as soon as they form ?
Original post by Sadilla
why are they distilled off as soon as they form ?

Because the boiling point of the aldehyde is lower than the reaction mixture temperature
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Because the boiling point of the aldehyde is lower than the reaction mixture temperature

Thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest