The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

Hi!
I'm an IB student with 44 predicted. I've got a conditional offer from Edinburgh for Neuroscience with 32 points, Bristol for Neuroscience with 36 and Sheffield for biomedical science with 34. I was thinking whether anyone here did biomedical science at one of those universities and could give me some advice?
I'm considering Edinburgh because it's an amazing city and a uni with a great reputation but I can't find many opinions about the course itself so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect
Original post by MissHomeless
Hi!
I'm an IB student with 44 predicted. I've got a conditional offer from Edinburgh for Neuroscience with 32 points, Bristol for Neuroscience with 36 and Sheffield for biomedical science with 34. I was thinking whether anyone here did biomedical science at one of those universities and could give me some advice?
I'm considering Edinburgh because it's an amazing city and a uni with a great reputation but I can't find many opinions about the course itself so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Opinions are very subjective. Look at course content and structure. You can find students here.
Original post by MissHomeless
Hi!
Thank you in advance!

Hi I'm Marta, I am graduating from Edinburgh, BSc Biomedical Sciences (Infectious Diseases) this year. I also did the IB and my offer was the same. However, I got 43 and they offered me a 2nd year entry. Just by sending this low offer I believe they imply that if you got above 38 they will offer you 2nd year direct entry. And it's up to you whether to stay in year 1 or not. I regret a little bit that I jumped directly into year 2 but that really depends on a person.

One of the things that you must know is that in 1st and 2nd year you'll be studying together with all the Biomedical Sciences students.
Only in third year you'll start selecting your honours and specializing in an area of Biomed (Neuroscience, Repro, Infectious Disease, etc). Therefore the fact that you get into Neuroscience does not mean that you'll necesarily have to commit to it. Therefore, see this programme as Biomed/Neuro together. Another thing is that in the first two years you'll do a lot of courses together with School of Biology, which means that if you liked Biology (not Biomed) honours choices more, you can switch to Biology honours in 3-4th year.

This is one of the things as well - you'll be in large lecture theatres at the start getting the basics covered and even in the 3rd year classes might be with up to 100 people.

There is a lot of independent learning involved which is something to get used to I guess in most of the universities, and might be a bit of a struggle if you jump into year 2.

BTW I just realsied that I also had offers from Bristol and Sheffield :smile:
What career is it that you're looking into post-University?
Original post by RegisteredBMS
What career is it that you're looking into post-University?

Continuing into Masters and PhD, then, research career or in the industry eg. pharmacological. Don't want to work for the NHS if that's what you're asking.
Original post by marta_uwc
Hi I'm Marta, I am graduating from Edinburgh, BSc Biomedical Sciences (Infectious Diseases) this year. I also did the IB and my offer was the same. However, I got 43 and they offered me a 2nd year entry. Just by sending this low offer I believe they imply that if you got above 38 they will offer you 2nd year direct entry. And it's up to you whether to stay in year 1 or not. I regret a little bit that I jumped directly into year 2 but that really depends on a person.

One of the things that you must know is that in 1st and 2nd year you'll be studying together with all the Biomedical Sciences students.
Only in third year you'll start selecting your honours and specializing in an area of Biomed (Neuroscience, Repro, Infectious Disease, etc). Therefore the fact that you get into Neuroscience does not mean that you'll necesarily have to commit to it. Therefore, see this programme as Biomed/Neuro together. Another thing is that in the first two years you'll do a lot of courses together with School of Biology, which means that if you liked Biology (not Biomed) honours choices more, you can switch to Biology honours in 3-4th year.

This is one of the things as well - you'll be in large lecture theatres at the start getting the basics covered and even in the 3rd year classes might be with up to 100 people.

There is a lot of independent learning involved which is something to get used to I guess in most of the universities, and might be a bit of a struggle if you jump into year 2.

BTW I just realsied that I also had offers from Bristol and Sheffield :smile:

Hi, I've sent you a private message. Could we maybe talk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending