The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tough. Durham has the slightly better rep and an unconditional offer seems great. However it may cause you to take your eye off the ball in studying, and also Manchester is a way better city than Durham.
^Slightly better Rep?
Isn't Durham is generally regarded within the same bracket as UCL, in other words second to oxbridge.
Reply 3
According to the Times rankings, Durham is 6th and Manchester is 12th.
Plus I think Durham as a better rep than Manchester.
I'd suggest Durham, which has a better reputation generally. But do some research into the course and see if you prefer one over the other. Reputation is important, yet it isn't the sole deciding factor when it comes to choosing a uni.
Reply 5
Colourspinner
I'd suggest Durham, which has a better reputation generally. But do some research into the course and see if you prefer one over the other. Reputation is important, yet it isn't the sole deciding factor when it comes to choosing a uni.

Agreed. Durham is totally different from Manchester as the first is a small city and the second is absolutely not, lol
Reply 6
Durham
The academics will say Durham but I'd rather party in Manchester (best student city in the world?) than spend 3 years stuck with a set of public school boys in a glorified village.
Reply 8
i think you shouldn't go on reputation because they are both respectable unis, but think about the lifestyle difference living in durham (a v.small pictruesque city with lots of polite puplic school types) or manchester (crazy big city life, loads of different people, loads to do etc). I picked more on rep and I do like it in durham, but looking back i would have prefered a slightly bigger place. But anyway don't stress because its the ppl you meet who make the experience!! :]
Reply 9
i'd choose durham.
I am in this exact same dilemma but my course is French and German. Manchester's course is better but Durham has a better overall reputation and they are two completely different cities. Manchester is a lot nearer to where I live whereas Durham is miles and miles away. I don't know what to doooo!!!!
Reply 11
I also applied for these 2 unis, but I think I'd prefer to go to Durham as I really love the collegiate system, and I'll go to the UK to study and not to party ... Plus, Durham's course offers a module about politics in the Middle East, and that is exactly what I was looking for !

I did my own uni ranking because I didn't know which uni to choose, lol (plus, I can't visit them as I'm in France and it's quite expensive ...). So I included the rep, the accomodation, the overall look of the uni, the quality of courses offered. Of course at the end Durham won (I'm not biased :p: ) but it is quite interesting to do as you have to look at everything that could change your mind.
Anatheme
I also applied for these 2 unis, but I think I'd prefer to go to Durham as I really love the collegiate system, and I'll go to the UK to study and not to party ... Plus, Durham's course offers a module about politics in the Middle East, and that is exactly what I was looking for !

I did my own uni ranking because I didn't know which uni to choose, lol (plus, I can't visit them as I'm in France and it's quite expensive ...). So I included the rep, the accomodation, the overall look of the uni, the quality of courses offered. Of course at the end Durham won (I'm not biased :p: ) but it is quite interesting to do as you have to look at everything that could change your mind.

It's possible to do both you know.
Reply 13
Yes I know, but there are unis that count only on the party side of the "uni experience". I want to go to uni to have a good education, I already know how to party.
Reply 14
A conditional offer from Manchester, yet an unconditional offer from Durham ... for Law with Bs .... Good on yah!

Manchester, because it has the better football teams!!!
Reply 15
Mokert23
A conditional offer from Manchester, yet an unconditional offer from Durham ... for Law with Bs .... Good on yah!

:laugh: - Interesting that you applied to Durham, not Manchester, yet advise Manchester!
only nihilism
than spend 3 years stuck with a set of public school boys in a glorified village.

:rolleyes:
really does depend.. if you want to study then durham and if you want to party then manchester. simple as.
Mokert23

International students have been known to get lower offers than home students.

Mokert23

Durham doesn't have a football team and don't you suggest any of two striped ones in the Premier League, one manager's senile and the other's a thug.

To OP: Go with Durham. It's very picturesque and you won't have to worry about any joyriders etc.
Reply 19
NDGAARONDI

Durham doesn't have a football team

Wrong.

NDGAARONDI

you won't have to worry about any joyriders etc.

Wrong.

To be honest, they are both well respected universities, I wouldn't worry too much about difference in reputation.

Latest

Trending

Trending