The Student Room Group

S3 need help panicking

how do i do part b
since the variables are added would u just add the means and then add the standard deviations^2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by assassinbunny123
how do i do part b
since the variables are added would u just add the means and then add the standard deviations^2?

here is the question part b
here is the question part b

XiX_i are independent, so yes all you need to do is add together the mean and variance of 2X1,3X102X_1, 3X_{10} to yield the distribution of (2X1+3X10)(2X_1 + 3X_{10})
i'm confused man here is the answer to part b
i understand how to get the variance (2/5)^2+(3/5)^2=13/25
but why is the mean still mew
Original post by RDKGames
XiX_i are independent, so yes all you need to do is add together the mean and variance of 2X1,3X102X_1, 3X_{10} to yield the distribution of (2X1+3X10)(2X_1 + 3X_{10})
i'm confused man here is the answer to part b
i understand how to get the variance (2/5)^2+(3/5)^2=13/25
but why is the mean still mew

Because the mean is multiplied by whatever you're multiplying the r.v. by. So, since both rv's have the mean as μ\mu to start with, they will then have 2μ2\mu and 3μ3\mu. Adding the rv's yields 5μ5\mu and then dividing the sum of the rv's by 5 hence divides this mean by 5 to arrive back to μ\mu
Because the mean is multiplied by whatever you're multiplying the r.v. by. So, since both rv's have the mean as μ\mu to start with, they will then have 2μ2\mu and 3μ3\mu. Adding the rv's yields 5μ5\mu and then dividing the sum of the rv's by 5 hence divides this mean by 5 to arrive back to μ\mu

one more question if you look at part c and f
can you please explain why E(Xi-mew)=0
and what happens when you need to find the E((Xi-mew)/standard deviation) as well as the variance
one more question if you look at part c and f
can you please explain why E(Xi-mew)=0
and what happens when you need to find the E((Xi-mew)/standard deviation) as well as the variance

It's mu* not mew.

Two ways of looking at E[Xiμ]=0\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu] = 0. First, expectation is a linear operator therefore

E[Xiμ]=E[Xi]=μE[μ]=μ=0\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu] = \underbrace{\mathbb{E}[X_i]}_{=\mu} - \underbrace{\mathbb{E}[\mu]}_{=\mu} = 0

On the other hand, a more classical viewpoint is that if you consider the distribution XiX_i, it has the mean of μ\mu. Which means that subtracting μ\mu from the distribution shifts all of the points in the distribution by μ\mu. Precisely, the mean is shifted by this too hence it ends up on 0.

For the other question, E[Xiμσ]=1σE[Xiμ]\mathbb{E} \left[ \dfrac{X_i-\mu}{\sigma} \right]=\dfrac{1}{\sigma}\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu]. As for the variance, well the standard deviation of XiμX_i-\mu gets divided by σ\sigma when you divide the distribution by it, so the variance is.....???

No need to panic about this stuff lol, it's just stats it's not gonna give you a heart attack!
(edited 6 years ago)
\frac{1}{\sigma}\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu] =0 for the variance tho idk can you do Var(Xi-mu)??? whats Var(mu)? and obv Var(Xi)= standard deviation^2 so dividing that by standard deviation would give just
\sigma what happens with the Var(mu)
It's mu* not mew.

Two ways of looking at E[Xiμ]=0\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu] = 0. First, expectation is a linear operator therefore

E[Xiμ]=E[Xi]=μE[μ]=μ=0\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu] = \underbrace{\mathbb{E}[X_i]}_{=\mu} - \underbrace{\mathbb{E}[\mu]}_{=\mu} = 0

On the other hand, a more classical viewpoint is that if you consider the distribution XiX_i, it has the mean of μ\mu. Which means that subtracting μ\mu from the distribution shifts all of the points in the distribution by μ\mu. Precisely, the mean is shifted by this too hence it ends up on 0.

For the other question, E[Xiμσ]=1σE[Xiμ]\mathbb{E} \left[ \dfrac{X_i-\mu}{\sigma} \right]=\dfrac{1}{\sigma}\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu]. As for the variance, well the standard deviation of XiμX_i-\mu gets divided by σ\sigma when you divide the distribution by it, so the variance is.....???

No need to panic about this stuff lol, it's just stats it's not gonna give you a heart attack!
\frac{1}{\sigma}\mathbb{E}[X_i-\mu] =0 for the variance tho idk can you do Var(Xi-mu)??? whats Var(mu)? and obv Var(Xi)= standard deviation^2 so dividing that by standard deviation would give just
\sigma what happens with the Var(mu)

Er... you're just confusing yourself. Slow down.

What is the distribution of XiμX_i - \mu ?

P.S. if you're going to use LaTeX\LaTeX then you need the 'tex' tags between your code.
Er... you're just confusing yourself. Slow down.

What is the distribution of XiμX_i - \mu ?

P.S. if you're going to use LaTeX\LaTeX then you need the 'tex' tags between your code.

XiμX_i - \mu~N(0, this is the part i dont understand) how do i find Var(Xi-mu)
XiμX_i - \mu~N(0, this is the part i dont understand) how do i find Var(Xi-mu)

Well go back to the basic principles first to get it without doing any work. What does the variance (or even the standard deviation) tell you?
Well variance tells you how spread out the values of the independent variables would be
Well go back to the basic principles first to get it without doing any work. What does the variance (or even the standard deviation) tell you?
Well variance tells you how spread out the values of the independent variables would be

Pretty much.

So then we know how spread out XiX_i's data is. Now if you are going to shift all the data to the left or the right, so that every single piece of data is shifted by the same amount, is there going to be any change to how spread out it is?
(edited 6 years ago)
Close, it tells you how spread out the data is.

So then we know how spread out XiX_i's data is. Now if you are going to shift all the data to the left or the right, so that every single piece of data is shifted by the same amount, is there going to be any change to how spread out it is?

Well if you shift all of them by the same amount there shouldn't be any change
Well if you shift all of them by the same amount there shouldn't be any change

Precisely. When you go from XiX_i to XiμX_i-\mu all you do is shift the data by μ\mu. So the variance is...?
the same..... the variance stays the same, So Var(Xi-mu)=Var (Xi)= Variance
Precisely. When you go from XiX_i to XiμX_i-\mu all you do is shift the data by μ\mu. So the variance is...?
the same..... the variance stays the same, So Var(Xi-mu)=Var (Xi)= Variance

Exactly.

So then when it comes to the variance of Xiμσ\dfrac{X_i-\mu}{\sigma} you simply take the standard deviation of XiμX_i-\mu and divide it by σ\sigma. So the new standard deviation is....? Hence the variance of Xiμσ\dfrac{X_i-\mu}{\sigma} is.....??
Exactly.

So then when it comes to the variance of Xiμσ\dfrac{X_i-\mu}{\sigma} you simply take the standard deviation of XiμX_i-\mu and divide it by σ\sigma. So the new standard deviation is....? Hence the variance of Xiμσ\dfrac{X_i-\mu}{\sigma} is.....??

variance would just be variance/standard deviation which is just standard deviation??? but the answer says its 1
It's mu* not mew.

Lmao, what a savage.
variance would just be variance/standard deviation which is just standard deviation??? but the answer says its 1

Read my post again slowly. I said you divide the standard deviation by σ\sigma, not that you divide the variance by σ\sigma.

Quick Reply

Latest