The Student Room Group

Border Force Officer / Assistant 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shell_xx_shell
Thanks for the link - looks good. We all want the same thing here so good to help point people in the right direction!

I fully agree. 😁
I took a good look at what they are asking for. I think for strength based questions, people get too caught up in 'meeting the requirements'....Thats fine for competency based questions. They changed from asking competency to strength based questions for a reason....they want to know about YOU, not what you think they want to hear!
Reply 182
Hi everyone,
Just found this thread and relieved to hear that I’m not on my own sat waiting to hear after doing the online tests! I was beginning to lose hope.
How many of us have applied for the assistant role rather than the officer role? Anyone going for an assistant job in Manchester?
Deb
Original post by Zeicho
Hi everyone,
Just found this thread and relieved to hear that I’m not on my own sat waiting to hear after doing the online tests! I was beginning to lose hope.
How many of us have applied for the assistant role rather than the officer role? Anyone going for an assistant job in Manchester?
Deb

It seems to be a long wait but you are not alone!!! I have applied for both as would like to do either job. I have applied for Bristol or Cardiff. I hope we are in with a chance. Best of luck to you.
Original post by Zeicho
Hi everyone,
Deb

Hi Deb, I ticked both as my thoughts were if I don’t make it into my first choice, the AO would be a foot in the door if an opening was to come up for the Officer posts.

I’ve applied for Cardiff & Pembroke.

I don’t mind the wait as I currently have employment but it’s always on my mind. Fingers crossed for us all.
I also applied for Border Force but I am little bit worrying about my online test as English is my second language and I was too slow. I missed one question and others were answered in rush. Passages were not complicated to read but I needed little bit extra time to check if my answers are ok. Let see what happens. :frown:
Original post by up676666
I also applied for Border Force but I am little bit worrying about my online test as English is my second language and I was too slow. I missed one question and others were answered in rush. Passages were not complicated to read but I needed little bit extra time to check if my answers are ok. Let see what happens. :frown:

Don't worry, I missed two questions, I think we are all in the same boat. Fingers crossed
I have applied for the Border Force Officer role and completed my verbal reasoning test online last Tuesday (24.04.18) but still not heard anythinghow long did it take you to hear back and what is the next stage? Can some help please 😁😁😁
Original post by MorganR85
I have applied for the Border Force Officer role and completed my verbal reasoning test online last Tuesday (24.04.18) but still not heard anythinghow long did it take you to hear back and what is the next stage? Can some help please 😁😁😁

I am following this forum since beginning, some of friends confirmed with the officials and they say, we would hear about mid May. Everyone is waiting at the moment. I guess next stage after test (if we pass) will be reviewing the application then interview.
Appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to reply. Just a waiting game now then I guess, hopefully hear back soon. Cheers
Reply 190
Thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have any idea what kind of pass rate they’re looking for with the online tests? Or do we think it depends on how we compare to everyone else and it’s a ranking system?
Original post by Misfits138
No probs. I’m currently a primary school teacher but fancy a change as I’ve been doing it for 7 years. So the process for me was; application, verbal reasoning test, interview ( 4 straight forward questions based on the competencies) and then the link to do my security questionnaire (online). I think I wait for 1-2 months now to see if I get clearance and then a date for training. As long as you hit as many points as you can from the competencies on the civil service page from the correct grade then you’ll be fine. :-)

I know you say you had competency questions at the interview however doesn’t the one for this one is based on strength based interview.
Original post by Halsmiley
I know you say you had competency questions at the interview however doesn’t the one for this one is based on strength based interview.

A lot of people seem to be mentioning competencies when in the package it clearly says it will be strength based, is there any competency questions throughout this whole process?
Original post by up676666

What’s your first language?
Original post by MorganR85

They restarted the application process again i rang up to find out why and after have a chat with them they said they are still accepting applications up until May 7th and thats without the Verbal Reasoning test being done, so probably not this side of May befoe you hear anything.
Hi, Ive just applied for a border force officer position at Newcastle and waiting to hear back about an interview. I believe the interview is now based around strength based questions. Can anyone who has had the interview tell me as ethically as possible the types of questions they will ask and how long does it last? Thanks
Original post by rogan6636
Hi, Ive just applied for a border force officer position at Newcastle and waiting to hear back about an interview. I believe the interview is now based around strength based questions. Can anyone who has had the interview tell me as ethically as possible the types of questions they will ask and how long does it last? Thanks

Hi Rogan, I posted a link to a site which has examples of both strength and competency based interview question. This I’ll give you an idea as to the type/style of questions which we may face. 👍
Reply 197
Hiya Guys, I've been following this since the beginning, thought I'll share my recent experience, HO takes time to do anything and this recruitment process can take forever, I've applied for this campaign and completed my online test about 12 days ago, but in Feb this year I've also applied for the Asylum caseworker position, I was asked to complete the verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning test which I did and scored 93% on verbal and 87% on numerical, then in mid of march I was invited for the assessment and the interview, assessment was based on case studies which I successfully passed then had a competency based interview both on the same day so was there for about 3 hours :smile: since then I'm waiting and have not heard anything, sent an email a week ago got a reply this Friday that they will make a decision soon, so I'm hoping fingers crossed by the end of next week I hear something, btw I've applied for the caseworker position in Sheffield and for this campaign Leedsbradford Airport, my advice is to be patient cos these timelines don't mean anything and changes all the time I'm in employment so this wait not bothering me , anyway good luck to all including me :smile:
Cheers
Ehty
Reply 198
Thanks for sharing that Ehty, it’s good to hear people’s experiences.

As for the extended closing date- I did some reading around this and apparently they were accused of discrimination because of the demand for a UK passport. So they had to close it, revamp the requirements then re-open with an extension.
Original post by Zeicho
Thanks for sharing that Ehty, it’s good to hear people’s experiences.

As for the extended closing date- I did some reading around this and apparently they were accused of discrimination because of the demand for a UK passport. So they had to close it, revamp the requirements then re-open with an extension.

This is the exact reason why and the reason why they haven’t given exact deadlines in the updated booklet is because they are trying to work to “catch up” with the time they lost but they aren’t sure it’s possible as they had a large amount of applications after they changed the requirements.

Knowledge from various calls to the recruitment team.

I work for civil service and can confirm any deadline you are give for anything will 100% be incorrect - but the reward at the end is a good job, a better than standard pension and pretty much a job for life - the internal jobs are endless if you don’t mind side stepping into another department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending