The Student Room Group

Need a back up if I don’t get into medical school.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxdelinquentxx
I’m applying to do medicine next year, by I also know that it’s really competitive so I need a backup course in case I don’t get in. What courses can I do at uni with biology, chemistry and sociology A levels? What are their prospects?
What are the prospects of doing a biomedicine degree?

Hi there!

Many people applying for Medicine select Biomedical Sciences as their fifth choice - you can read more about routes into Medicine from Biomed on our Biomedical Science to Medicine page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
So I guess gap year is front runner.
But at the end of the day in case I don’t get into medicine the second time round what kind of degrees are suited for me? What should I do?
I would be devastated if I didn’t get in.

My advice to you would be to put all of that to one side. Put all your efforts into getting in first time, and then a gap year if that doesn't work out. Anything beyond that is just thinking too far ahead and will only distract you, assuming your heart is firmly set on medicine.
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

Many people applying for Medicine select Biomedical Sciences as their fifth choice - you can read more about routes into Medicine from Biomed on our Biomedical Science to Medicine page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Looks like you got beaten to it :tongue: ->

Original post by tessa w
Hey,I used this page to make a choice for my back up. https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/biomedical-science-to-medicine/ (medic portal's page on Biomedical Science to Medicine transfers.) It was very useful as it showed which universities allow transfers to Medicine and how frequently they do so.
There may be an alternative where you study medicine, but just not in the UK. I attended a webinar last week with a former med student who's now mentoring students on getting into med school. She said that there's always the possibility of joining a European med school, for eg, in Romania. All you need to do is take a European Medical School Admission test, which apparently is much easier than UKCAT or BMAT. Their website https://www.uni-med.co.uk/

It's not for everyone, but if medicine is really what you want to do... and you can pair that with a nice european city.
Reply 24
That what I thought when I originally thought of biomedicine and I figured that I won’t know if I want to to a PhD until I get to it. But at the moment it’s doesn’t seem so bad. I like the idea of being an academic but I have no idea what it entails for me other than lots of research and papers and lectures and meeting and conferences.
What about pharmacy? Does it require maths? :smile:

As far as I am aware there is currently an excess of pharmacists so it might not be such a great career if you want to work in the hospital.
I think it does allow you to work for pharmaceutical companies/ beauty products as well as participate in clinical trails, but you would have to research it as I am not 100%.

I think you should sit down and think about what you want to do in the future. It's very scary when you have to do it at 17, but rushing into a degree just for the sake of it isn't gonna do you much good in the grand scheme of things!
Think about what attracts you in medicine. Is it the patient contact? Is it the mysterious biology of human body? Or is it something entirely different? Based on these questions you can see what other career is best fit for you (i.e. might consider physiotherapy or other health allied professions such as occupational therapist or audiologist)
I've wanted to medicine for years, and I have my heart absolutely set on it but it's just that fear of not knowing what to do afterwards if I do get rejected that's scaring me. I've invested so much time and effort into doing this and not getting in would break me. I need to know that I have a failsafe and that can continue doing something else.

I love both the biological and the patient interaction you get as a doctor,

I've done some work in a pharmacy before and I know the job role, I liked it but I didn't love it.

I've also researched different Biomed courses and I got a thrill out of the things I would learn but its just what I could do afterwards that's a bit of a bum. Turns out most of the jobs one enters afterwards at in business which I really don't want to do. And the actual sciencey well-paying jobs require PhD's as well as years and years of experience - not too different from medicine but I have no idea whether I will want to do a PhD or a master's after my degree.

I'll have a look at some of the other roles you have mentioned because i haven't had a look at them yet. :wink:

Original post by Nottie
As far as I am aware there is currently an excess of pharmacists so it might not be such a great career if you want to work in the hospital.
I think it does allow you to work for pharmaceutical companies/ beauty products as well as participate in clinical trails, but you would have to research it as I am not 100%.

I think you should sit down and think about what you want to do in the future. It's very scary when you have to do it at 17, but rushing into a degree just for the sake of it isn't gonna do you much good in the grand scheme of things!
Think about what attracts you in medicine. Is it the patient contact? Is it the mysterious biology of human body? Or is it something entirely different? Based on these questions you can see what other career is best fit for you (i.e. might consider physiotherapy or other health allied professions such as occupational therapist or audiologist)
Oh, my heart is set on medicine alright. I am trying my hardest to get in the first time around. I just want to be prepared for a worst-case scenario. It would suck to have invested so much time and effort into something and then get rejected. So I want to be prepared but I will also do my best right now.

I've been quite closed on the idea of a gap year beforehand but I will be willing to do it if it means there's a chance of me getting in the second time around.

I mean, 1 year of earning money and gaining valuable work experience in comparison to 3 years of debt and gaining a 2:1 degree that means almost nothing to me, and then getting into an impossible GEM course - I think we can see which one is best. :wink:

Original post by Someone123123
My advice to you would be to put all of that to one side. Put all your efforts into getting in first time, and then a gap year if that doesn't work out. Anything beyond that is just thinking too far ahead and will only distract you, assuming your heart is firmly set on medicine.
I'll have a look but I have worries about not just the distance, but language barriers and so on...

Original post by emmwhite
There may be an alternative where you study medicine, but just not in the UK. I attended a webinar last week with a former med student who's now mentoring students on getting into med school. She said that there's always the possibility of joining a European med school, for eg, in Romania. All you need to do is take a European Medical School Admission test, which apparently is much easier than UKCAT or BMAT. Their website https://www.uni-med.co.uk/

It's not for everyone, but if medicine is really what you want to do... and you can pair that with a nice european city.
Reply 28
I've wanted to medicine for years, and I have my heart absolutely set on it but it's just that fear of not knowing what to do afterwards if I do get rejected that's scaring me. I've invested so much time and effort into doing this and not getting in would break me. I need to know that I have a failsafe and that can continue doing something else.

I love both the biological and the patient interaction you get as a doctor,

I've done some work in a pharmacy before and I know the job role, I liked it but I didn't love it.

I've also researched different Biomed courses and I got a thrill out of the things I would learn but its just what I could do afterwards that's a bit of a bum. Turns out most of the jobs one enters afterwards at in business which I really don't want to do. And the actual sciencey well-paying jobs require PhD's as well as years and years of experience - not too different from medicine but I have no idea whether I will want to do a PhD or a master's after my degree.

I'll have a look at some of the other roles you have mentioned because i haven't had a look at them yet. :wink:

If you have your heart set on medicine then you need to learn to accept rejections and failures. Being an A* A level student you probably haven't faced many failures in your life (grade wise), but that can all change once you become a medical student. You are suddenly in a group where everyone is A* student and you often end up being mediocre for the first time in your life.
You might often feel like you don't know much on ward even if you've spent hours learning the content the night before.

I don't want to sound harsh, but it seems to me like you are having a hard time accepting the thought that you might not be good enough for something. And while this is totally understandable (I've been there too), it is vital to learn that failure is part of life and just because it might take you a year longer to get to where you want to be is not the end of the World. We have someone in their 50s on the GEM course!

In the end of the day it is your life and it's much easier for me to 'talk you down' when I got my place in medical school. I think if you don't get in but then end up doing something else you might always regret not waiting another year, especially if you end up in hospital environment and would interact with doctors. But it is your decision and if you think you can't cope with a year out/lack of back up plan then by all means research all your opportunities and decide if there is something else you can see yourself doing. Just remember that you are potentially choosing 40-50 years of career in a field you might not love as opposed to 1 year of a break and reapplication.
I understand where your coming from but I haven’t exactly got the best grades yet. I only got 1 A* at GCSE and I’ve been between a B and a A at A level so far. I used to be a C at the beginning of the year.

I understand that I could become a doctor much later in life, but I also want to be able to have a family as well as career. I’ll accept a rejection if it comes round but I want to know that I’ll be happy doing something else if it’s not medicine.

You’re right where you say I might not enjoy it if so I can always look down a different career path.

I just want to have options. Being backed into a corner into where to go is not fun. :smile:
If you're set on medicine, and don't get in first time round, then there's no need to 'settle' for biomedicine.

Just take a gap year, get a job as a healthcare assistant at a hospital if possible, and reapply.

Don't give up at the first hurdle - try again.
Original post by GrandMedic
I would recommend you take a gap year (if you don't get in) as there's a higher chance of getting in second time around rather than doing the grad entry route- which is much more competitive.

Why is GEM more competitive?
Original post by Volibear
Far fewer places. King's, for example, makes ~40 offers for 28 places. Last I read they typically have around 1400 applicants for it.

That is a 2.8% offer rate...madness!
Original post by Volibear
Yet people can and do get offers. And that is what's important to remember, even if it takes multiple goes (there's somebody who posts regularly on TSR who got in on his 4th attempt).

Absolutely, if you have the will you'll find a way; although, I can't ever imagine being dedicated enough to apply 4 times! My one application this year has drained me for the rest of eternity...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending