The Student Room Group

I didn't do my a-levels this year because of illness- can i still get into med school

During the very beginning of year 13, I started to get unwell with very bad abdominal pain. I decided not to apply to medical schools because of this and thought I'd take a gap year after finishing my a levels and apply then instead. Turns out this pain got worse and by December I was diagnosed with Crohns disease. I was on a very heavy dose of steroids for 4 months, and once they finished I started regular infusions at the hospital. I also have arthritis which was well controlled, until the medication I was on stopped working and my joints started to swell again shortly after my crohns diagnosis. This affected my performance in school greatly, and I decided that I wasn't going to do my a levels this year because I wouldn't get the grades needed for med school. I have very strong GCSEs which are straight 9s and 8s and I am sitting the ucat in a few weeks. I'm so scared that my application won't be considered though because i didn't my a levels within the two years- but how could i control my health? Has anyone gotten into medical school in the uk with a similar situation to mine? do I still have a shot?
Are you just taking them a year late?
Reply 2
yes i am

Original post by Admit-One
Are you just taking them a year late?
Original post by jawahirjelani
yes i am

the best thing to do is to contact the universities to explain your situation to them, it would be great if you could get your school to help on this matter too. maybe they could produce some sort of written document and send it to the universities to explain your situation?
Reply 4
yes i am

I'm just taking them a year later than usual (so I'm not necessarily retaking the exams because I haven't done them). My doctors are also writing a statement in support of my application, explaining the situation and this will be used in my reference
Reply 5
Original post by B7861
the best thing to do is to contact the universities to explain your situation to them, it would be great if you could get your school to help on this matter too. maybe they could produce some sort of written document and send it to the universities to explain your situation?

I've been going on to the websites of medical schools, and only a few specify extenuating circumstances. Most medical schools only talk about people who are resitting their exams so I haven't read anything about a situation similar to mine which is why I am so stressed out. Most unis have said to send in evidence and a doctors letter (which I have) and then they will consider it- I just want to know if I will have an equal chance with everyone applying and that I won't be disadvantaged because of something I couldn;t control
I've been going on to the websites of medical schools, and only a few specify extenuating circumstances. Most medical schools only talk about people who are resitting their exams so I haven't read anything about a situation similar to mine which is why I am so stressed out. Most unis have said to send in evidence and a doctors letter (which I have) and then they will consider it- I just want to know if I will have an equal chance with everyone applying and that I won't be disadvantaged because of something I couldn;t control

that is why I said contact them
Reply 7

Many med schools suggest you contaxt them prior to submussion to see if your extenuating circumstances will be accepted by them. They all have different mechanisms though. Read the selection policies for those that are feasible for you to apply to (ie which accept your a levels subjects and your gcses) and write to them all, and see what they come back with. I would normally wait until you have sat your UCAT and are ablr to narrow it down a bit more but time may not be with you if you are sitting your UCAT in 3 weeks.

Start with your list of possibles and whittle it down from there.

It sounds as though you have had a torrid time over the last year or so. I hope that your journey is smoother moving forward.
As above, unis will consider miitigating circumstances as to when you took your AL's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending