The Student Room Group

Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police!

Scroll to see replies

In relation to pay - I believe it's around 38kish now for top scale PC.

In the area of the country where I live, that's not a bad wage at all. It's just a bit of a pain starting on a very low wage, especially when all of your deductions are taken out. It is a very hard job, for very little money, when you just get started.

Regarding the speeding point above - I'd just like to add another point of view. Traffic officers would primarily deal with moving traffic offences. Just like all of the police service; traffic cops have also been cut. There are very few of them policing very large areas. Traffic cops would be interested in speeders.

Now, take your average response cop. That's who you are probably referring to. They are so busy, jumping from call, to call, to call, to call, with no breaks, that if someone drives by who is going a little over the speed limit - it is probably the least of their worries.

I'm a response officer and I can tell you that minor traffic offences aren't even really on my radar. I have bigger fish to fry, so to speak.
Original post by Guru Jason
Have you ever fired a gun out of the window while in a police pursuit? If not, have you ever fired 2 guns from the window while in a police pursuit?

but have you seen Bad boys 2?
Can you get a speeding ticket through the post from someone sitting in a normal police car if they don’t pull you over?
Reply 123
Original post by Ajsmith160415
Can you get a speeding ticket through the post from someone sitting in a normal police car if they don’t pull you over?

It is technically possible, yes. There is kit in the car that can accurately calculate speed over distance to an evidential standard. The Police have 14 days to report you for any such offence committed in those circumstances. No letter in 14 days? You're safe.

I do have a neat little trick though so you'll never get caught doing anything like this again:

Don't speed :biggrin:

Stay safe :smile:
If you want to be a police officer in the UK, does your universities' reputation or location matter? If yes, please elaborate. Does it make a big difference or for working in the police (UK), does your passing of their tests and interviews only matter?

I need this answered urgently (within 2 days)!
Original post by Brahiti
If you want to be a police officer in the UK, does your universities' reputation or location matter? If yes, please elaborate. Does it make a big difference or for working in the police (UK), does your passing of their tests and interviews only matter?

I need this answered urgently (within 2 days)!

Is it a UK university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Is it a UK university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Why?
Original post by Doonesbury
Is it a UK university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also if you or anybody else will answer my question, please answer separately for the reputation and location of the university
Original post by Brahiti
Yes. Why?

Original post by Brahiti
Also if you or anybody else will answer my question, please answer separately for the reputation and location of the university

In which case it won't make any difference. Like the vast majority of employers they are looking for good potential police officers, not universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
As above..

i looked up being a special constable, aka volunteering vole. they said the applicant and their family have to be "vetted", what does that mean? they put every police volunteer through Developed Vetting?

also, my parents no longer live in the country.
Reply 130
Original post by nonotyoutoo
i looked up being a special constable, aka volunteering vole. they said the applicant and their family have to be "vetted", what does that mean? they put every police volunteer through Developed Vetting?

also, my parents no longer live in the country.

They are subject to Police Vetting and Counter Terrorism Vetting. You will need to provide quite a bit of detail.

They wont be subject to "Developed Vetting" - this is much more intrusive and involves long interviews which provide clearance up to TOP SECRET level (MI5 etc)
Reply 131
Have you even broken the law? If yes what was it that you did?
Original post by DCDCo
They are subject to Police Vetting and Counter Terrorism Vetting. You will need to provide quite a bit of detail.

They wont be subject to "Developed Vetting" - this is much more intrusive and involves long interviews which provide clearance up to TOP SECRET level (MI5 etc)

Can you pass if your parents are no longer in the country / not coming back?
Reply 133
Original post by nonotyoutoo
Can you pass if your parents are no longer in the country / not coming back?

I dont know for definite. I imagine they'd still want their details and then they would make a decision.
I have a day one assessment centre coming up and I’m feeling slightly lost when it comes to the structured interview and role plays. Any advice, tips or what to expect would be super helpful?
Reply 135
How much of your job in terms of being present given up to PCSOs? I see them much more often, even around cordoned off crime scenes
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
As above..
Why are you police "officers" now, and not constables any more? It seems rather backwards that a copper who works on the streets is called an "officer" - it's just another Americanization, isn't it, like Scientific Support being renamed to Crime Scene Investigation.
Original post by Tootles
Why are you police "officers" now, and not constables any more? It seems rather backwards that a copper who works on the streets is called an "officer" - it's just another Americanization, isn't it, like Scientific Support being renamed to Crime Scene Investigation.

Their official titles are still PC- Police Constables and this is how they are referred to within the police, officers is just what everyone else decides to call them, as I'm sure there are many other names used to refer to them.
Original post by Aiviloblue
Their official titles are still PC- Police Constables and this is how they are referred to within the police, officers is just what everyone else decides to call them, as I'm sure there are many other names used to refer to them.
Ah OK. I so seldom hear them referred to as constables that I thought the terminology had actually changed, and have felt uneasy about calling them constables in case it had changed and I looked pompous or anything. Thanks for putting me right :h:
Do you you do night or day shifts and how is jail life for the criminals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending