The Student Room Group

Need help with biology question

To what organ does the bile duct lead?
Ans=small intestine/duodenum
#I am confused-isn't it the gall bladder?

If the gall bladder was removed,what might be the consequences ?
Ans=no bile storage;bile constantly passes into small intestine
#I am confused here aswl -how does the bile pass through the small intestine and why?
Original post by h26
To what organ does the bile duct lead?
Ans=small intestine/duodenum
#I am confused-isn't it the gall bladder?

If the gall bladder was removed,what might be the consequences ?
Ans=no bile storage;bile constantly passes into small intestine
#I am confused here aswl -how does the bile pass through the small intestine and why?

The liver produces bile, which then collects in the gall bladder, where it is stored. When it is needed for the breakdown of fatty foods, the bile leaves the gall bladder, flows through the bile duct and empties into the duodenum (where the food is!)

If the gall bladder is removed, the bile simply trickles steadily straight from the liver into the duodenum.

Removal of the gall bladder is a common surgical procedure, usually carried out when the gall bladder gets choked up when the bile in it forms solid gallstones, which block the bile duct.
Reply 2
Original post by OxFossil
The liver produces bile, which then collects in the gall bladder, where it is stored. When it is needed for the breakdown of fatty foods, the bile leaves the gall bladder, flows through the bile duct and empties into the duodenum (where the food is!)

If the gall bladder is removed, the bile simply trickles steadily straight from the liver into the duodenum.

Removal of the gall bladder is a common surgical procedure, usually carried out when the gall bladder gets choked up when the bile in it forms solid gallstones, which block the bile duct.

Thank you very much! Also, the bile from the bile canaliculi flows through the bile duct to reach the gall bladder and be stored there, right? So bile duct connects bile canaliculi and gall bladder & bile duct connects gall bladder and duodenum?
Original post by h26
Thank you very much! Also, the bile from the bile canaliculi flows through the bile duct to reach the gall bladder and be stored there, right? So bile duct connects bile canaliculi and gall bladder & bile duct connects gall bladder and duodenum?

Technically, the duct between the canaliculi and the gall bladder is called the common hepatic duct, and it's the "downstream" part between the gall bladder and the duodenum that is the common bile duct - but you've got the right idea
Reply 4
Technically, the duct between the canaliculi and the gall bladder is called the common hepatic duct, and it's the "downstream" part between the gall bladder and the duodenum that is the common bile duct - but you've got the right idea

Thanks very much! It's just that my book says this:
42.PNG
Could you please let me know what you think about this? Confused with which one to go with
Original post by h26
Thanks very much! It's just that my book says this:
42.PNG
Could you please let me know what you think about this? Confused with which one to go with

You are learning for an exam, right? So go with the book (or whatever your course text says). The diagram I posted is highly simplified - the technical names are even more complicated than the diagram.
Reply 6
You are learning for an exam, right? So go with the book (or whatever your course text says). The diagram I posted is highly simplified - the technical names are even more complicated than the diagram.

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending