The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Performance for Stage and Screen BA - Sheffield Hallam University

Anyone studying Performance for Stage and Screen BA at Sheffield Hallam, what is the course like? Are there good links with industries? What are the facilities like?
Thanks!
Original post by hellogiggles
Anyone studying Performance for Stage and Screen BA at Sheffield Hallam, what is the course like? Are there good links with industries? What are the facilities like?
Thanks!

Hi @hellogiggles

I got in touch with a student and here is her response:

'For me, the best thing about the course is that there is a broad range of subject areas to study - from radio performance, short-term research projects which I really enjoyed and applied theatre that is using theatre outside of a 'traditional' theatre setting. For this I created a performance for the Sheffield Blind Society. As well as this, all of the tutors are so engaging, enthusiastic and and supportive of all we are doing currently and what we aspire to do after we graduate.

A typical day varies depending on what we are currently working on: It could rehearsing for plays, recording radio plays, discussing project proposals and currently researching topics for our dissertations or final projects - its really different and its always great to hear what my classmates are working on.'

Let me know if you have any questions!

Reanne
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Hello @Sheffield Hallam University

Thanks for getting back! The course sounds awesome. Just a few more questions though. What are the facilities like for this particular course? Are there usually people of all ages studying the course? Would you recommend this course to someone who wants to pursue a career as an actor? (Is it very practical?)

Thanks again! 🤓

Thanks for getting back! The course sounds awesome. Just a few more questions though. What are the facilities like for this particular course? Are there usually people of all ages studying the course? Would you recommend this course to someone who wants to pursue a career as an actor? (Is it very practical?)

Thanks again! 🤓

Hi @hellogiggles

I got in touch with Liz and this is her response:

What are the facilities like for this particular course?

The facilities on the course are wonderful. We have a brand new rehearsal/performance space that opened in January 2018 and it is extremely versatile with a professional standard lighting rig. We also have professional standard recording booths which we use for our radio modules. The library is also a wonderful place to study, with a range of books for anything to do with theatre/screen/radio so that brilliant to really expand our knowledge.

Are there usually people of all ages studying the course?

Specifically for my class/year, the majority of students now are 20-23, so when we began the course, many would have started straight from leaving their A-Levels. However, we do have a mature student on our course and there are other mature students in the first and second year. It's really wonderful to have people on the course who can bring a new and exciting perspective so it is a real bonus I think.

Would you recommend this course to someone who wants to pursue a career as an actor? (Is it very practical?)

I would recommend this course to somebody who wants to be an actor. It is very broad, we studying applied theatre which is using theatre outside of a traditional theatre setting - for this as I've mentioned before, I helped to create a performance that we presented to the Sheffield Society for the Blind. Having experiences such as this, I believe, broaden your sense of what acting is. The power of it. From Shakespeare to Scriptwriting, from Staninslavski to doing a research paper means that you have a broader set of skills. The way that we are assessed for each module is to do a practical performance (e.g. a play, a presentation, a radio piece) but then also a written essay. The essay is often weighted lower than the practical piece so I would say that it is about a 70/30 split between practical and written.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask as she is happy to answer!

Reanne
Hi @Sheffield Hallam University

Many thanks for the reply, the course sounds really good. Regarding the average age range in the class, if I went to study there this September I would be 20 years old. Are there many 19/20+ year olds who start in the first year?

Thanks again!

Thanks again! 🤓

Hi @hellogiggles

Another student has responded to your question aswell, here is her response:

The facilities provided for Performance for Stage and Screen students are brilliant! We have a brand new theatre of which we are essentially given a full rein. The Performance Lab (as they affectionately named it) consists of 2 obvious performance spaces; one designed for proscenium arch performances and the other for more thrust, traverse, in the round, intimate shows. However, there is also a common room area with lots of sofas which can also be used as a rehearsal/performance space. More experimental shows (such as the ones often conjured up in the Devised Theatre module) have even been known to take place in the smaller shower room. Both main spaces are equipped with full, versatile lighting rigs and the course leader always sources extremely competent technicians to operate said rigs for us. We also have our own (growing) props store, so that we always have access to the most common set and prop pieces (beds, glasses, telephones etc.) and every show we perform is provided with a budget to spend on props. Not only this, but for final shows (in third year) the University have been kind enough to pay for outside venues for those who have wished to use a more specific space, and we have been allowed access to The Crucible’s costume department on more than one occasion.

In the year group I’ve been a part of, there have been people of all ages from 18 to about 45.

I would absolutely recommend the course to anyone who wants to become an actor (as long as they’re willing to put the work in too!), as that’s exactly what I’m doing! I finish my degree (officially) on May 10th and already have a string of acting jobs lined up, so it is 100% achievable if you put the effort in and have the passion it takes to be in this industry! If you’d like to have a look at the sort of things I’ve been doing inside and out of uni, take a look at my professional pages, I’m Amy Blake (@AmyBlakeActor on Facebook / @Amy_Blake_ on Twitter / @amyrebeccablake on Instagram). The course is generally a 70/30 split in favour of practical performance. Essentially, you will make a performance (worth 70% of your mark) and then write an essay on said performance (worth 30% of your mark) for almost every module, with a couple of exceptions. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out on either social media

Amy'

If you want to ask her any questions she has given me her contact details which she is happy for me to PM you,

Let me know,

Reanne
Hi @Sheffield Hallam University

Many thanks for the reply, the course sounds really good. Regarding the average age range in the class, if I went to study there this September I would be 20 years old. Are there many 19/20+ year olds who start in the first year?

Thanks again!

Hey,

Although I don't do this course, I thought I'd just add that there are loads of mature students coming to uni and no one really bats an eyelid!

I lived with two people who turned 20 in first year, and then on my course there were people who were 20, 21, and even late 20s and early 30s. It wasn't a big deal at all, they're just as involved as everyone else - it really hasn't made much difference!

You'll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending