The Student Room Group

Is it important to get into prestigious GCSE & A level schools to get into Oxbridge ?

This question came up in my mind since recently i heard that Oxbridge consider A*A*A in a low performing school is far better than obtaining similar scores in a top private/public school. Is it true ? I'm aiming to get into Westminster School or Roedean but if that statement is correct, then why should i bother trying to get into those schools that will require more of my time, effort, and money.
Reply 1
Original post by davyss
This question came up in my mind since recently i heard that Oxbridge consider A*A*A in a low performing school is far better than obtaining similar scores in a top private/public school. Is it true ? I'm aiming to get into Westminster School or Roedean but if that statement is correct, then why should i bother trying to get into those schools that will require more of my time, effort, and money.

You should still try to get into these prestigious and I should add, excellent schools as they will set you up with the opportunity to do well in interviews.

While it is true that Oxbridge consider obtaining A*A*A from a low performing school better than a similar grade from a top school, this will not tip the scales in your favour.

These top school have dedicated teachers and support for those applying for Oxbridge and so it's better to go there. And to be honest, when it comes to making a decision, Oxbridge never really care about grades as everyone they interview has A*A*A or above so it comes down to interview performance which you will be coached on if you go to the likes of Westminster school.

I've not even mentioned the unique opportunities you would get in these schools such as extremely motivated teachers and a bright cohort of fellow pupils.

My advice, try to get into these schools at all costs if you want to maximize your chances of getting into Oxbridge.
If you go there you have the natural advantage of better teaching and opportunities which will naturally push up your results on the day, if you go to a worse school you may be cut a little slack when it comes to results but will receive a worse education. But due to the better standards in a better school this will negate any difference in grades - tbh, I'd say go for a better school for a better education as this will help you out with your base knowledge of a subject if you manage to get onto a course in Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending