The Student Room Group

What kind of things can influence somone and make them develop eating disorders?

just doing some research for psychology and just wanted some opinions on this.

The eating disorders can be anything from Anorexia to bulimia.

feel free to provide any opinions on which age group you think its the most commen in.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey :smile:

Eating disorders can be very complicated, and I assume there are many factors which go into the development of an eating disorder. For example, With anorexia, there are multiple triggers and maintainers which develop the condition. Triggers can vary. Someone who has been previously embarrassed about their weight, or even made fun off may be triggered. People with social anxiety might get triggered, asnthey might feel like they're always being judged by the way they look. I feel like a huge contributor to anorexia is the ability to have complete control what goes into your mouth, when you may feel out of control in other aspects of your life. For example, if someone is not doing well in one aspect of their life, say their studies for example, They may fall back and try to regain the feeling of control by controlling another aspect of their life which they have full liability over, e.g. their eating.

Typically, a disorder doesn't occur straight away, but it develops over time. Maintainers would help a disorder develop, a good example of this would be perfectionism and OCD. Once an individual becomes interested in what goes into their bodies, they can only begin to gain more and more knowledge about the topic, and eventually perfectionism would cause them to read every label and nutritional list on every food item they eat. They might get think that they need to better the diet they had the day before, and strive to eat less the following day

Its quite strange as you would think people would anorexia dislike or hate food, but typically, they would become obsessed with food, their lives will probably begin to revolve around it.

Its a very unhealthy relationship, and anyone with an eating disorder has my upmost respect, It is important they seek help when they can :smile:
Reply 2
I wonder how commen it is and how often it goes undiagnosed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by zraa
Hey :smile:

Eating disorders can be very complicated, and I assume there are many factors which go into the development of an eating disorder. For example, With anorexia, there are multiple triggers and maintainers which develop the condition. Triggers can vary. Someone who has been previously embarrassed about their weight, or even made fun off may be triggered. People with social anxiety might get triggered, asnthey might feel like they're always being judged by the way they look. I feel like a huge contributor to anorexia is the ability to have complete control what goes into your mouth, when you may feel out of control in other aspects of your life. For example, if someone is not doing well in one aspect of their life, say their studies for example, They may fall back and try to regain the feeling of control by controlling another aspect of their life which they have full liability over, e.g. their eating.

Typically, a disorder doesn't occur straight away, but it develops over time. Maintainers would help a disorder develop, a good example of this would be perfectionism and OCD. Once an individual becomes interested in what goes into their bodies, they can only begin to gain more and more knowledge about the topic, and eventually perfectionism would cause them to read every label and nutritional list on every food item they eat. They might get think that they need to better the diet they had the day before, and strive to eat less the following day

Its quite strange as you would think people would anorexia dislike or hate food, but typically, they would become obsessed with food, their lives will probably begin to revolve around it.

Its a very unhealthy relationship, and anyone with an eating disorder has my upmost respect, It is important they seek help when they can :smile:

wow thank you!
you practically did an entire essay for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Matilda612
I wonder how commen it is and how often it goes undiagnosed.

I would honestly like to know that also
Having a parent who is very weight-conscious. My mum worries about her weight, and has always been passionate that I don’t end up fat as well. Ever since I was a child she would say ‘don’t eat that... you’re going to get fat and ugly’ or ‘please don’t eat that bar of chocolate, you’re so lovely and slim’ while buying chocolates for my dad 😒

I dieted and was very obsessed with my weight (despite being very thin) between the ages of 10 and 13. It never developed into a full blown eating disorder though.

I also heard that some people develop eating disorders because they feel they have no control over their lives and (subconsciously) try to regain control by not eating.

Being force fed or made to eat things you didn’t want to eat as a child can also trigger food issues later on.

Could also be a person who has intense self-hatred to start with, so they starve themselves to ‘punish’ themselves, or self harm.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Having a parent who is very weight-conscious. My mum worries about her weight, and has always been passionate that I don’t end up fat as well. Ever since I was a child she would say ‘don’t eat that... you’re going to get fat and ugly’ or ‘please don’t eat that bar of chocolate, you’re so lovely and slim’ while buying chocolates for my dad 😒

I dieted and was very obsessed with my weight (despite being very thin) between the ages of 10 and 13. It never developed into a full blown eating disorder though.

I also heard that some people develop eating disorders because they feel they have no control over their lives and (subconsciously) try to regain control by not eating.

Being force fed or made to eat things you didn’t want to eat as a child can also trigger food issues later on.

I am so sorry to hear that; I have never personally experienced it before but I have seen people with it and it made me feel alot of sympathy for them.
Original post by Matilda612
I am so sorry to hear that; I have never personally experienced it before but I have seen people with it and it made me feel alot of sympathy for them.

That’s okay - I’m over it now. Couldn’t really care less if I put weight on; I’m food-obsessed.
Reply 8
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
That’s okay - I’m over it now. Couldn’t really care less if I put weight on; I’m food-obsessed.

I am relieved
Body shaming and comparing themselves to unhealthily skinny women so they think they’re a lot fatter than they actually are. These are just two out of many...
Original post by Rainfall
Body shaming and comparing themselves to unhealthily skinny women so they think they’re a lot fatter than they actually are. These are just two out of many...

Yes, quite sadly these people start to get distorted images of their body.
Lots of things. Stress. Avoidance of a bigger problem. Honestly, they start out quietly. With me, it was the realization that when i moved out, I'd be able to dress the way I wanted. This led to realizing that I didn't have the "body type" to pull it off. So I started thinking, I'd better lose weight. However I never acted on it.
But that Christmas I didn't finish my work, before going to my grandparents for vacation. So I stressed about it and used food avoidance as a coping mechanism. I was also going through some tough stuff at the same time.
If I focused on losing weight I was thinking about anything else.
Like when you stub your toe, you bite your thumb so you don't feel it.
It's late, so I'm not sure if that made sense. Feel free to inquire further. Just remember it's different for everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending