The Student Room Group

Are there people in the UK who speak only Gaelic or Welsh?

Reply 1
I'm sure there are, however it's unlikely these days. English is the main language now. I'm just saying this as I'm Welsh but I don't know about in scotland or Ireland
Reply 2
Original post by EasyPete
I'm sure there are, however it's unlikely these days. English is the main language now. I'm just saying this as I'm Welsh but I don't know about in scotland or Ireland

Do you speak welsh?
Reply 3
Original post by ma_long
Do you speak welsh?

I speak a bit, wish I spoke more. Welsh is just a dying language I think which is sad
i know some gaelic but mostly in the form of my drunken scottish family idioms
Basically in Wales no one (probably a few but not even 0.1%) only speaks Welsh, not having any knowledge of English. Sure, there are definitely people who only speak Welsh (first hand expierence of people) and only use English when they have to (Welsh Government is all bilingual, road signs etc and Facebook and Microsoft Office have Welsh options for example).

I’m Welsh and I know of several families who speak only Welsh at home and their children go to Welsh medium schools (where English is taught from Year 3 and only used in English lessons). Most first language Welsh speakers learn English at the same time as English but some don’t learn English until it’s taught in school, although this is unusual and if it happens, it’s only in welsh speaking communities in the north.

My GCSE Welsh teacher was from North Wales and she didn’t learn English until she was 7! She speaks Welsh & English fluently, although sometimes her English was a bit disjointed :biggrin:

It’s important to remember that a lot more people speak English than Welsh, and all Welsh speakers are bilingual.

Hope this of some interest :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest