The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Accomodation

Hi guys!

I'm due to find out my accommodation for my first year at Aber and was just wondering how the accommodation process works?

I know my course is due ton start late September but was wondering when students are able to move into the accommodation and settle in and how early this can be done?

Also with moving are people given a specific time slot in a day or is it everyone at the same time or with people trickling in during the week?

When in the accommodation process am I able to request a flat with someone or am I even able to do so?

Lastly, when will I find out exactly hat room I will have and be able to get my access card? (registration day I'm guessing?)

Sorry for all the questions but I really just wanna know as much as I can as I'm super excited and basically ready :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there,

I know my course is due ton start late September but was wondering when students are able to move into the accommodation and settle in and how early this can be done? -> Most unis have a freshers week that starts one week before classes. Most unis let you move in from the saturday Before the start of their freshers week (meaning around mid september). All unis are slightly different though but your accommodation provider should clearly be able to advise you of the date.

Also with moving are people given a specific time slot in a day or is it everyone at the same time or with people trickling in during the week? -> Yes. (As far as im aware). Ive not heard of any accommodation that Doesnt give you a time slot, but hey, first for everything. Places do this so they can control everyone moving in easier rather than hundreds of people turning up at the same time. Generally you wont find out what time until sometime mid august at the earliest really.

When in the accommodation process am I able to request a flat with someone or am I even able to do so? -> Not all accommodations let you even do this. If they Do let you, they generally ask who when you first put in your application form. Again, your best contacting them and just asking if unsure, theyll be able to tell you straight up.

Lastly, when will I find out exactly hat room I will have and be able to get my access card? (registration day I'm guessing?) -> You access card will be given to you when you move in. When you find out what room will vary massively. Lots of people (myself included) already know their flat & room details. There isnt really a set time in the year, you could find out today, you could find out in august. Again, probably better off asking you accommodation provider.

I hope Ive helped a bit, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Hey! I'll be starting in September too, what course are you doing? :smile:

The uni have stated on their website that moving in starts on the 21st September at 10:00 a.m but I'm not sure if everyone can come or if we get allocated times etc. I think in the accommodation offers and later letters from the uni we might get more specific information about all of this etc.
When I e-mailed the uni during the application system they said it was a computerised system for room allocation so I'm not too sure about having specific people in your flat with you. Once uni starts you might be able to swap rooms around with permission from the uni and everyone involved!
And yes - Room details and key-cards/fobs are all given on registration day which is kinda annoying but ah well
Original post by ashleee01
Hi guys!

I'm due to find out my accommodation for my first year at Aber and was just wondering how the accommodation process works?

I know my course is due ton start late September but was wondering when students are able to move into the accommodation and settle in and how early this can be done?

Also with moving are people given a specific time slot in a day or is it everyone at the same time or with people trickling in during the week?

When in the accommodation process am I able to request a flat with someone or am I even able to do so?

Lastly, when will I find out exactly hat room I will have and be able to get my access card? (registration day I'm guessing?)

Sorry for all the questions but I really just wanna know as much as I can as I'm super excited and basically ready :smile:

Hi! :h:

That's fantastic that you are coming to Aberystwyth! What are you going to study?

The start and end date of your stay will be found in your Accommodation Licence Agreement and you will be able to select an arrival time and date during completion of the online induction :yeah:

You can request to live with friends during completion of your Accommodation Licence Pack by completing an association form. :five: Although all efforts are made to ensure your association form is successful, this cannot always be guaranteed.

You'll find out which room you have on the day of your arrival and receive your keys and any access cards at the same time :grin:

Looking forward to welcoming you to Aber in September!

Dan :crown:

Quick Reply

Latest