The Student Room Group

What to wear for my job?

I’m a girl, and I have just got a job. The dress code is ‘smart casual’, and I have no idea what that means...can anyone suggest what type of things I could wear?
Reply 1
go to pinterest and type in "smart casual" see if you can get any good ideas from there. when you went for the interview do you remember seeing what other people there wear? copy them!
Have you seen what other people there are wearing? What type of place is it? Office? Coffee shop? etc. Something more formal than jeans, less formal than cocktail dress. If you end up being overdressed on day one you can always make it more casual on day two. Good luck!
Reply 3
For men it is usually a shirt with jeans and black shoes, no jacket and no tie.

For women it's usually a dress or collared shirt with flat shoes
I usually interpret that to be either black trousers or a long skirt, and a nice top. Not too dressy but not just a t shirt either.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a girl, and I have just got a job. The dress code is ‘smart casual’, and I have no idea what that means...can anyone suggest what type of things I could wear?

Best thing to do is take a look at what other people are wearing. As far as a female goes what your female teachers wear is also an alright guide.
For a guy it usually means dark/ black jeans and a collared shirt.
Girls could go for the same or wear a smart-ish dress/ shirt and skirt.
As far as shoes go you want to go closer to school shoes than trainers and probably avoid heels for the sake of your feet.
Image searches on google/ pinterest is also a pretty good idea.
Original post by Anonymous

I've always interpreted it to mean the clothes that teachers wear. My teachers wore dresses with flats / low heels, skirts no higher than just above the knee, blouses with trousers etc. Not at formal as you would an interview, but not in jeans or t-shirts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending