The Student Room Group

Physics / Chemistry EPQ title help?

I've just stared doing my EPQ and I really need some help coming up with a title. I'd like to do something to do with physics / chemistry and possibly space but I can't come up with anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:
You’re going to have to narrow it down further than physics chemistry and possibly space. I just did an HPQ which is similar just a bit less detail. I did mine on quantum physics but you really do have to pick something specific or you’ll drown in research - any particular topics you were thinking of?
Reply 2
Original post by zasbalroop
You’re going to have to narrow it down further than physics chemistry and possibly space. I just did an HPQ which is similar just a bit less detail. I did mine on quantum physics but you really do have to pick something specific or you’ll drown in research - any particular topics you were thinking of?

This is what I was really struggling with. I was going to do something to do with space travel but someone else in my year is already doing that. I was thinking about doing something to do with the possible ends to the universe but I feel like that's really broad and I'd just be listing various theories. I really don't know...
Yeah don’t do something which is only going to be explanatory in nature - I had to change my title because of that. Pick something that allows for discussion and evaluation, so maybe think of a way to spin the wording of a title so that your current idea works. (That’s what I ended up doing). For example a title beginning “to what extent” - that kind of thing. Also i would think that it shouldn’t matter if you do the same thing as someone else in your year because ultimately you do it alone and the essays will end up being very different anyway?
Reply 4
Yeah don’t do something which is only going to be explanatory in nature - I had to change my title because of that. Pick something that allows for discussion and evaluation, so maybe think of a way to spin the wording of a title so that your current idea works. (That’s what I ended up doing). For example a title beginning “to what extent” - that kind of thing. Also i would think that it shouldn’t matter if you do the same thing as someone else in your year because ultimately you do it alone and the essays will end up being very different anyway?

I know I could probably do the same thing as someone else I just don't want people to draw comparisons especially if they do better than me. If I do do something similar to those topics where could I find my information? I know most of the marks come from the report that you do and not the essay itself so what kind of stuff would I put in it? Just where I got my information from?
I use project q to do mine on, it’s what as recommended by my school. It had like a layout you followed and so you just answered the questions - I’m not sure whether the school had to set it up for us though so I’d ask yours what they usually do because ur right the evaluation parts are where you get most of the marks. In terms of information don’t use only the internet as you’ll lose marks for use of resources, find some books which aren’t textbooks relating to any school syllabus (as again you’ll lose marks for curriculum based stuff) but that relate to your chosen topic.
Reply 6
I use project q to do mine on, it’s what as recommended by my school. It had like a layout you followed and so you just answered the questions - I’m not sure whether the school had to set it up for us though so I’d ask yours what they usually do because ur right the evaluation parts are where you get most of the marks. In terms of information don’t use only the internet as you’ll lose marks for use of resources, find some books which aren’t textbooks relating to any school syllabus (as again you’ll lose marks for curriculum based stuff) but that relate to your chosen topic.

Ok I'll have to ask what's available on Monday. So I guess I'll have to go to the library and find information? What if there isn't anything on such a specific topic?
Trust me I’m sure there will be, you might have to look at some higher level stuff but there will be data on scientific things- documentaries can also be useful and if you find a presenter you like look for books they’re done. Don’t look for something super specific though go for a more general topic that will include your area of interest
Reply 8
Trust me I’m sure there will be, you might have to look at some higher level stuff but there will be data on scientific things- documentaries can also be useful and if you find a presenter you like look for books they’re done. Don’t look for something super specific though go for a more general topic that will include your area of interest

Oh ok I didn't know I was allowed to use documentaries! So in terms of a title, would something like "Will long distance space travel ever be possible?" or "What is the future of space technology?" be ok or is it still too vague?
I think the first one sounds definitely a possible option. Because you can weigh up yes, no and different ways. I’d be careful with the second as it could end up being just a descriptive piece of research. And yes I used documentaires - you can use anything really just not textbooks.
Reply 10
Original post by Gem9911
This is what I was really struggling with. I was going to do something to do with space travel but someone else in my year is already doing that. I was thinking about doing something to do with the possible ends to the universe but I feel like that's really broad and I'd just be listing various theories. I really don't know...

Hey,
The only astro project I can remember from my year was a project on whether colonising Mars is really possible. There are so many different angles you can look at it from (whether our bodies could cope with it, whether we're anywhere close to being technologically capable of transporting enough people and supplies over there, how the terrain on Mars compares with the terrain on Earth) so you could definitely put a chemistry spin on it.
But don't be put off space travel because someone else in your year is doing a similar topic - if you're not passionate about your EPQ it'll be a real drag, so go for something you care about :smile:
Reply 11
I think the first one sounds definitely a possible option. Because you can weigh up yes, no and different ways. I’d be careful with the second as it could end up being just a descriptive piece of research. And yes I used documentaires - you can use anything really just not textbooks.

Ok good to know - thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Martha8
Hey,
The only astro project I can remember from my year was a project on whether colonising Mars is really possible. There are so many different angles you can look at it from (whether our bodies could cope with it, whether we're anywhere close to being technologically capable of transporting enough people and supplies over there, how the terrain on Mars compares with the terrain on Earth) so you could definitely put a chemistry spin on it.
But don't be put off space travel because someone else in your year is doing a similar topic - if you're not passionate about your EPQ it'll be a real drag, so go for something you care about :smile:

That sounds like a good idea actually. The only reason I didn't want to do space travel was because that was exactly what the other person is doing and I didn't want to look like I was copying. I could definitely do Mars colonization though...
Reply 13
Original post by Gem9911
That sounds like a good idea actually. The only reason I didn't want to do space travel was because that was exactly what the other person is doing and I didn't want to look like I was copying. I could definitely do Mars colonization though...

Glad it helped! There are a lot of good books on the topic as well, so it shouldn't be too hard to find sources if that's the route you go down.
Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Martha8
Glad it helped! There are a lot of good books on the topic as well, so it shouldn't be too hard to find sources if that's the route you go down.
Best of luck! :smile:

I'll have a look in my local library - thanks for the help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest