The Student Room Group

why does nobody reply to my threads.

I'm really desperate to get some help with my subject choices for september. No one ever replies to me when others get pages and pages of helpful advice.
Maybe use some of the advice others get, often the advice given is similar. What do you need help with?
Are you posting your questions in the correct forum?
Other threads are titled "A-level subjects advice needed" or similar, rather than something vague. You also put posted your primary school query in the part time jobs thread, so people who are interested/experienced in the area of primary education and qualifying for that looking are unlikely to be looking in that forum.

It's important to select the correct forum to post your thread in, and then choose and informative and inviting thread title. Both of these will go a long way to getting you answers. Additionally, your recent threads with no responses have been active for less than a day, and you posted in the middle of a work/school day. Most people are more active in the evening.

I have now requested your primary education thread to be moved to the relevant forum and tagged in someone with some knowledge of the area. Regarding A-level choices, people can't just pull suggestions out of a hat - without any indication of your background (such as which subjects you did in GCSE, how well you did in them, how much you enjoyed them, how your enjoyment compared to your performance etc) it's almost impossible to make a suggestion. I can certainly suggest many sets of A-levels however they may be well be irrelevant, undesirable, or unfeasible for you...
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Other threads are titled "A-level subjects advice needed" or similar, rather than something vague. You also put posted your primary school query in the part time jobs thread, so people who are interested/experienced in the area of primary education and qualifying for that looking are unlikely to be looking in that forum.

It's important to select the correct forum to post your thread in, and then choose and informative and inviting thread title. Both of these will go a long way to getting you answers. Additionally, your recent threads with no responses have been active for less than a day, and you posted in the middle of a work/school day. Most people are more active in the evening.

I have now requested your primary education thread to be moved to the relevant forum and tagged in someone with some knowledge of the area. Regarding A-level choices, people can't just pull suggestions out of a hat - without any indication of your background (such as which subjects you did in GCSE, how well you did in them, how much you enjoyed them, how your enjoyment compared to your performance etc) it's almost impossible to make a suggestion. I can certainly suggest many sets of A-levels however they may be well be irrelevant, undesirable, or unfeasible for you...

Thank you.

I know, that's exactly why I've made my own threads to get more personalised advice, rather than just looking at other people's threads and taking their advice. I guess I'll just have to start using more outladish, clickbaity titles.
Original post by YasudaSayo
Thank you.

I know, that's exactly why I've made my own threads to get more personalised advice, rather than just looking at other people's threads and taking their advice. I guess I'll just have to start using more outladish, clickbaity titles.

Well you at least have some attention here, so you can certainly explicate some of the above information and I may be able to offer some advice.

Also "why does nobody reply to my threads" is demonstrably "clickbaity" enough to get my attention :tongue:
Reply 6
Well you at least have some attention here, so you can certainly explicate some of the above information and I may be able to offer some advice.

Also "why does nobody reply to my threads" is demonstrably "clickbaity" enough to get my attention :tongue:

Okay, sure. :tongue:
It seems like my thread was deleted by a mod or something, because I can't find it, and when I go to it via my history it says it's an invalid thread? Have no idea why it would be deleted though.
I basically just said that I'm completely lost when it comes to picking what to do in college. I have no career that I really really want to do, I'm interested in nursing but the long hours and hard work is extremely off putting to me. I have no idea what A Levels to do because I'm not really interested in any of the subjects and I am very bad at everything. I would prefer to do a BTEC but I still don't know what to do it in because I have no interests. Maybe health and social care but I hate that I'll have to do practical assessments. I'm a very average person and I've learnt the hard way that education isn't for average people. Unless you're a super genius, you fail your A Levels. And with BTECS, unless you're super confident and good at practical skills, you fail. I'm not a super genius and I have debilitating anxiety. So I see no options for myself.
Sorry for the essay and presenting you with this incredibly hopeless situation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Okay, sure. :tongue:
It seems like my thread was deleted by a mod or something, because I can't find it, and when I go to it via my history it says it's an invalid thread? Have no idea why it would be deleted though.
I basically just said that I'm completely lost when it comes to picking what to do in college. I have no career that I really really want to do, I'm interested in nursing but the long hours and hard work is extremely off putting to me. I have no idea what A Levels to do because I'm not really interested in any of the subjects and I am very bad at everything. I would prefer to do a BTEC but I still don't know what to do it in because I have no interests. Maybe health and social care but I hate that I'll have to do practical assessments. I'm a very average person and I've learnt the hard way that education isn't for average people. Unless you're a super genius, you fail your A Levels. And with BTECS, unless you're super confident and good at practical skills, you fail. I'm not a super genius and I have debilitating anxiety. So I see no options for myself.
Sorry for the essay and presenting you with this incredibly hopeless situation.

I wouldn't say you need to be "super confident and good at practical things" to do well in any BTEC. It may be ideal for some BTEC subjects, but they cover a pretty broad range of areas. Have you considered an apprenticeship? Perhaps in IT or Computing - while you are likely going to need to discuss things with people to help them troubleshoot problems in such roles, this isn't any different to any job and you'll be in a position where they are looking to you for help and so will (hopefully) be grateful and receptive to your advice. You may also want to consider a BTEC in this area. You may even end up in a more "back office" type position in this area, in e.g. development or something.

Otherwise it's difficult to make suggestions - what subjects did you do at GCSE? Were there any parts of those that you enjoyed? For example, researching and/or writing essays; conducting lab experiments; writing (technical) lab reports; IT work; class discussions; oral presentations; language study; even outside of an academic context these can provide some clues as to what may be of interest or relevance to you going forward. Equally, you may want to think more broadly about what you do in your spare time - why do you choose to do that? Is there a specific reason why you choose do that - some inherent reward mechanism built into it, some aspect of learning about things, exploring other "worlds" through various lenses, spending time with people, animals, in natural or built environments, etc, etc...

Regarding anxiety and similar issues, I would suggest in the first instance to speak to your GP about it. It is something which, I have learned the hard way, does not automatically go away by itself, but that there are quite a number of resources to help with it. You may want to discuss what options may be appropriate for you with your GP - cognitive behavioural therapy can be very helpful for example, although it's not always easy.
I'm really desperate to get some help with my subject choices for september. No one ever replies to me when others get pages and pages of helpful advice.

You're probably not asking the right questions people know the answer to
maybe you're just unloved
Reply 10
I wouldn't say you need to be "super confident and good at practical things" to do well in any BTEC. It may be ideal for some BTEC subjects, but they cover a pretty broad range of areas. Have you considered an apprenticeship? Perhaps in IT or Computing - while you are likely going to need to discuss things with people to help them troubleshoot problems in such roles, this isn't any different to any job and you'll be in a position where they are looking to you for help and so will (hopefully) be grateful and receptive to your advice. You may also want to consider a BTEC in this area. You may even end up in a more "back office" type position in this area, in e.g. development or something.

Otherwise it's difficult to make suggestions - what subjects did you do at GCSE? Were there any parts of those that you enjoyed? For example, researching and/or writing essays; conducting lab experiments; writing (technical) lab reports; IT work; class discussions; oral presentations; language study; even outside of an academic context these can provide some clues as to what may be of interest or relevance to you going forward. Equally, you may want to think more broadly about what you do in your spare time - why do you choose to do that? Is there a specific reason why you choose do that - some inherent reward mechanism built into it, some aspect of learning about things, exploring other "worlds" through various lenses, spending time with people, animals, in natural or built environments, etc, etc...

Regarding anxiety and similar issues, I would suggest in the first instance to speak to your GP about it. It is something which, I have learned the hard way, does not automatically go away by itself, but that there are quite a number of resources to help with it. You may want to discuss what options may be appropriate for you with your GP - cognitive behavioural therapy can be very helpful for example, although it's not always easy.

I did BTEC childcare, I had to plan and carry out activities with children and my debilitating anxiety completely ****ed that up for me, so I dropped out. This means that I cannot do any job that will require me to be observed at some point. I'm really not interested in IT. I'm generally incompetent so I wouldn't be able to do anything that involves helping people.
Things I'm considering for september are:
1- Psychology, biology and english lit A Levels (but I know the amount of content will **** me up and my mental health)
2- Applied science BTEC (but I know the chemistry part, and once again the amount of content, will **** me up and my mental health)
3- Health and social care BTEC (but I know that the activities will, ONCE AGAIN, **** me up and my mental health).

Thing is, I don't know what I want to do as an actual career, so my year 12 options seem very random and are just directed towards things im interested in. Nursing seems interesting to me, but the whole placement thing and being observed there and **** just scares me so much..

Speaking to my GP is easier said than done. Idk how to make appointments, I make all of them by telling my mum I need one and she makes it for me (I'm 17). And I'm not willing to let her know about this lol.Also, my anxiety is no mysterious, ambiguous thing. I know it's 99% caused by my self esteem because I have a freakishly misshaped nose. Therapy or meds won't help, only surgery will. So speaking to someone is useless.
I did BTEC childcare, I had to plan and carry out activities with children and my debilitating anxiety completely ****ed that up for me, so I dropped out. This means that I cannot do any job that will require me to be observed at some point. I'm really not interested in IT. I'm generally incompetent so I wouldn't be able to do anything that involves helping people.
Things I'm considering for september are:
1- Psychology, biology and english lit A Levels (but I know the amount of content will **** me up and my mental health)
2- Applied science BTEC (but I know the chemistry part, and once again the amount of content, will **** me up and my mental health)
3- Health and social care BTEC (but I know that the activities will, ONCE AGAIN, **** me up and my mental health).

Thing is, I don't know what I want to do as an actual career, so my year 12 options seem very random and are just directed towards things im interested in. Nursing seems interesting to me, but the whole placement thing and being observed there and **** just scares me so much..

Speaking to my GP is easier said than done. Idk how to make appointments, I make all of them by telling my mum I need one and she makes it for me (I'm 17). And I'm not willing to let her know about this lol.Also, my anxiety is no mysterious, ambiguous thing. I know it's 99% caused by my self esteem because I have a freakishly misshaped nose. Therapy or meds won't help, only surgery will. So speaking to someone is useless.

Inevitably you will need to interact with other people in life. There are no jobs where you can avoid human interaction, regardless of entry criteria or otherwise.

Regarding dislike of your features, which is affecting your ability to function in day to day life, that is something you should speak to your GP about. I would also note ones own perceptions of oneself rarely correlate to those of others - something which things like CBT directly work on by demonstrating this fact and forcing you to accept that your perceptions are not objectively correct, and thus the behaviours that stem from that need not be undertaken.

Quick Reply

Latest