The Student Room Group

OCR Modelling Physics June 4th 2018

Scroll to see replies

how were you supposed to know that the wind turbine did one rotation every second, it didn't say that anywhere
What did people get for the velocity question where you also had to calculate the uncertainty?
for the helium one, I said that in the early stages the temperature of the earth was greater, and so more particles had the required kinetic energy to escape.
because the earth has cool downed particles no longer have kept
Reply 83
Original post by Christina121
What did people get for the velocity question where you also had to calculate the uncertainty?

Correct answer was 42 +- 3 ms^-1, I got 84 because I didn't read diameter :'(
Original post by Alyssa134
Would anyone be able to tell me what the last question was worth? I didn't find the paper necessarily hard but I struggled with time. I'd like to know how many marks I lost by not even glancing at qu.23.

There was 24 questions I think and the last 2 were about 15 -20 marks I believe
I'm going to be somewhat pessimistic and say (given that I found this years paper easier) that A* will be 84 and A will be 75.
Same here
Original post by zeldor711
I'm going to be somewhat pessimistic and say (given that I found this years paper easier) that A* will be 84 and A will be 75.

most people I've spoken to seemed to think it was harder, but tbh I suspect the grade boundaries won't change much as they didn't for AS last year overall, although the individual paper boundaries changed
Original post by Bulletzone
Area = pi x r^2

But isn't that assuming it rotates once every second? I didn't think it specified the time period of the rotation.
What did people get for the Δλ using the Hubble's constant and red **** equation?
Original post by Brian_Strugnell
What did people get for the Δλ using the Hubble's constant and red **** equation?

add 13nm to original Wavelength given
Original post by UCAS and Chill
But isn't that assuming it rotates once every second? I didn't think it specified the time period of the rotation.

the area in the given equation was the area of the wind turbine so yes it is π r^2 but I did think it wasn't particularly clear
Reply 92
what did people put for the "" feature of black hole? ""
i initally put "infinite density" but then i was paranoid i remembered it wrong, and put instead that theres no escape velocity
Reply 93
Original post by zeldor711

i agree tbh
tho, i thought it was pretty much the same level of difficulty as last years
at least there were few weird/obscure questions
Original post by Kppppp
i initally put "infinite density" but then i was paranoid i remembered it wrong, and put instead that theres no escape velocity

I said gravitational field so strong even light cannot escape after event horizon, pretty sure your answer is fine
Original post by aesthete1
the area in the given equation was the area of the wind turbine so yes it is π r^2 but I did think it wasn't particularly clear

Oh wow okay that makes sense, do you remember if it was a 2 or 3 marker?
Original post by Kppppp

Escape velocity > speed of light
is one
Original post by UCAS and Chill
Oh wow okay that makes sense, do you remember if it was a 2 or 3 marker?

no idea sorry
Original post by Neutronhole
for the helium one, I said that in the early stages the temperature of the earth was greater, and so more particles had the required kinetic energy to escape.
because the earth has cool downed particles no longer have kept

Said this exact thing 😆 I don’t know what everyone’s going on about with Boltzmann distribution diagrams
Reply 99
Original post by aliengamerx
how were you supposed to know that the wind turbine did one rotation every second, it didn't say that anywhere

It said 1600 rotations in one minute(60 seconds) so you had to calculate time for one revolution 60/1600 = 0.0375s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending