Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Ask A Current Plymouth Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cxchim
Hi!

I would like to know if certain halls are more popular with international students? I am applying for accommodation (as an international student) so I would like to know before making my choices. I don't have a preference for whether I'm in hall with mostly UK/EU students or international but I would just like to be informed.

Thank you :smile:

Hi there, thanks for your message! There's no one university hall that seems to be more popular with international students. If you have more questions about accommodation at the University of Plymouth, please email our Residence Life team at [email protected] :smile:

- Dani, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by chelseagirl2002
What is Plymouth like as a place? Nice?

Hi, thanks for the question! :smile:

Plymouth is a buzzing student city with fantastic nightlife and community feel. As a smaller city, everywhere is within walking distance. The Hoe is popular for picnics and BBQs when it's sunny, and the view over the English Channel and across the coast is amazing. The Barbican, right on the marina, has lush restaurants and live music most nights. North Hill is where the university is situated, along with most of the halls of residence, student housing, bars, and clubs. You're never more than a 20 minute walk away from anywhere, which was the main attraction for me! The student population is huge (22,000+) so there's always something going on whether it be open mic night at the Student's Union, intramural sports tournaments, or student discount evenings at Drake Circus shopping centre. Student life here is really fun, and the city is so easy to navigate!

Is there an opportunity to transfer from year 1 of the biomedical science course at Plymouth to year 1 of medicine in Plymouth university? If there is, what are the entry requirements?
Thanks!
Original post by Medicine2k18
Is there an opportunity to transfer from year 1 of the biomedical science course at Plymouth to year 1 of medicine in Plymouth university? If there is, what are the entry requirements?
Thanks!

Hi there, thanks for the question!

Great to see you're interested in transferring form Biomed to Medicine, as there is actually an opportunity!

Biomed has competitive entry for up to five ring-fenced places at the end of stage one for progression onto Medicine and Dentistry. Applicants must meet minimum academic requirements for consideration. e.g A levels - Minimum of AAB to include A grades in Biology, one other science from Chemistry, Maths, Physics, or Psychology.

Basically you'll have to excel in your first year, so that's something really worth working towards!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you! So, do they look at a levels more heavily than performance in first year?
Reply 25
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi there, thanks for your message! There's no one university hall that seems to be more popular with international students. If you have more questions about accommodation at the University of Plymouth, please email our Residence Life team at [email protected] :smile:

Thank you for your response!
Original post by Medicine2k18
Thank you! So, do they look at a levels more heavily than performance in first year?

Because Medicine is so competitive, everyone on the course will have top A level grades. So, performance in first year will be paramount! :smile:

Original post by University of Plymouth
Because Medicine is so competitive, everyone on the course will have top A level grades. So, performance in first year will be paramount! :smile:

Ah thank you so much for your response! Really helpful :smile:
Reply 28
Hi, I’m going to be doing BSc sociology, just wondering how much time is spent in lectures/what timetables look like in first year? Trying to figure out how much I’ll be able to work alongside
Hey!

I will be starting an allied health profession course (BSc) this September and have discovered that there will be an occupational health appointment during first week.
Can anyone enlighten me on what happens during this appointment? Physical exams? blood (Slight needle phobia ) and urine tests? If so testing for what?

I believe that they may do inoculations during this meeting also!

Any help would be appreciated! I hate not knowing!

Thanks!
Original post by Podstudent18
Hey!

I will be starting an allied health profession course (BSc) this September and have discovered that there will be an occupational health appointment during first week.
Can anyone enlighten me on what happens during this appointment? Physical exams? blood (Slight needle phobia ) and urine tests? If so testing for what?

I believe that they may do inoculations during this meeting also!

Any help would be appreciated! I hate not knowing!

Thanks!

Hi there, thanks for your questions!

The best people to contact about this will be Occupational Health Plymouth on 01752 202082 - they will be able to put your worries at rest!

It might be worth having a search back through your emails too, just to check if there's anything you need to know on there :smile:

I totally get your needle phobia - but it'll be worth it for you to begin your course! :smartass:

We look forward to welcoming you in September!

Hi I’m going to do Human Biosciences this year.

I just wanted to ask about the cost of the textbooks for the course?

Thank you!
Original post by aichie_ortiz

Thank you!

I'm not sure about the cost of textbooks for a specific course, but often people advertise their old books cheaply around campus, so I wouldn't buy anything until you've checked out this option!
Are we able to change the curtains in our halls room as long as we put the ones supplied by the uni back when we leave??
Original post by aichie_ortiz

Thank you!

Hi there,

When it comes to textbooks you are not required to purchase any, because there tends to be several volumes of each in the library that you can take out. I have however purchased a few books this year which have been really beneficial and range in price from £20-£50 each.

I would advise that you don't buy any books now and wait till the course commences, mainly because the lecturers recommend particular books.

Hope that helps!!!

If you have anymore questions please don't be shy :biggrin:

Emily
Original post by helppppoplsssss
Are we able to change the curtains in our halls room as long as we put the ones supplied by the uni back when we leave??

Hello!

After being in Halls myself last year, I have not seen anyone change their curtains however I recommend you give residence life a ring!

If you have anymore questions please do ask :smile:

Emily
Hi, I’m coming from Cornwall and love the idea of staying by the sea, how close is Plymouth to any beaches?
is plymouth diverse cause im black and dont want to be alone if you get me and I dont have a problem with other races I just want someone that I can relate it
is plymouth university diverse and I dont have a problem with other races. But I would really like to know if black people study in the university
According to The Times 2019 University Guide (paywalled) - Plymouth University students are 'Black ethnic minority' = 2.2%, if that helps?

It also gives a total for 'Ethnic minority' students for the University as 10% - so, whilst not massively diverse, I think it's fair to say that it's not 'hideously White', either...have you visited?

A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending