The Student Room Group

Shadow a student for a day - University of Plymouth

Hi all

If anyone would like to see what studying certain subjects is like and join a current student for a day, UoP has this scheme available for Year 12 and 13 students, and partner colleges students (South West UK).
For everywhere else and mature students, you'd have to enquire.

February 2023 intakes are now open. Next one is for November 2023.

I saw it on our website and thought I'll share as it is a great way to shadow someone, experience the university and a course before you choose, it was not available to me before I started my BSc Dietetics course!

Great way to ask about the course and placements too!
Here is the link and application form:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/study/outreach/student-shadowing-scheme

Of course the open days are still available as usual!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lirit
Hi all

If anyone would like to see what studying certain subjects is like and join a current student for a day, UoP has this scheme available for Year 12 and 13 students, and partner colleges students (South West UK).
For everywhere else and mature students, you'd have to enquire.

February 2023 intakes are now open. Next one is for November 2023.

I saw it on our website and thought I'll share as it is a great way to shadow someone, experience the university and a course before you choose, it was not available to me before I started my BSc Dietetics course!

Great way to ask about the course and placements too!
Here is the link and application form:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/study/outreach/student-shadowing-scheme

Of course the open days are still available as usual!

Thank you so much for bringing awareness of this programme. :smile:
I was wondering How you are finding it Plymouth so far? The area itself, student life?
Reply 2
Original post by shaza_xox
Thank you so much for bringing awareness of this programme. :smile:
I was wondering How you are finding it Plymouth so far? The area itself, student life?

Hi Shaza

Apologies, I have not logged in, in a while!
Plymouth is great in the summer, if you like the seaside, nature (can get to places around Cornwall and Devon by train: Eden Project, beaches, SW Coast Path). There is a shopping and city centre, if you need, some bars, restaurants with more opening as well. There's the Box museum and UoP organizes art exhibitions through the year in the gallery and around the city. You can check What's On in Plymouth online, for events in the city. In the winter, it's not as nice, can be windy and rainy. But good for studying as it's not stuff going on all the time. Plymouth is a good size medium city, not overly busy but not dead. Rent is affordable compared to South East, but not as cheap as up North (I wanted to study in Leeds, it's cheaper there). But there's plenty of Uni and private student accommodation (rooms and studios). Not that many clubs, a few but they're not great like Pryzm, Depo is okay etc. (I'm from London, so anything is worse for me haha). There's some RA and Fatsoma nights for techno etc. music in random venues. Nice area by the seaside, The Hoe (big park).
There's hundreds of societies and sports clubs! So if you're joining any, you'll have plenty to do and people to hang out/go out with (some are alcohol and others non alcohol related). https://www.upsu.com/societies/browse/ There are regular events through the year at the SU.
In terms of train travel to Plymouth, from other cities it's quite pricy (even with a 30% discount railcard), but cheap within Cornwall/Devon. Exeter and Bristol are not far, if you want to visit.

It also all depends on what you want to study, for ocean and marine sciences, Plymouth is one of the best in the UK. The healthcare/dentistry/medical/social work/psychology schools make up a big part of the University with Derriford Hospital/University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust and Livewell Southwest providing placements and lots of research within UoP as well. Arts University Plymouth is also great, I have visited facilities and students who study there say it's better than UoP's :smile: I spoke to both, and seems like a better choice for Arts!
So yeah depends what you want to do!

I moved here, as I wanted affordable rent, to live alone in a studio as a mature healthcare student (I pay £600 for a big one with a balcony, student accommodation), seaside. I also liked the tutors and my course, first of all!

Let me know if you have any questions (if you're still planning for Plymouth).

Quick Reply

Latest