The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE prediction of grade boundaries for the sciences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lil-bugaboo
awww how sweet of u cx i think ur predictions might be closely right ahhh....lets just enjoy the freedom we have for the time being before preparing for our graves when we come face to face with our reports T-T honestly i liked my exams im just SUPERRR afraid for geo coz tht paper raped me i aint lying i liked pure maths altho...i gotta work on my speed >_< the last paper did tear me up a lil coz i left sum feww questions but whale **** it xD i did pretty good in the ones i answered ...i just hope i get good grades so i dont get disowned lmao
Haha the real disowning thing becomes serious in A levels, as I've always heard :rofl:
Original post by Missradioactive
Haha the real disowning thing becomes serious in A levels, as I've always heard :rofl:

dayummm imma be doing early vacation study for a level math , the c1 t c4 is basically pure maths but i still need to perfect my timing coz the question paper has like 15 questions . LETS STUDY HARDD lel
so wat subjects do u plan to take for a level im taking maths statistics , psychology , biology and food science coz i wanna be a nutritionist, hahah i took my love for food to a whole other level xDD
dayummm imma be doing early vacation study for a level math , the c1 t c4 is basically pure maths but i still need to perfect my timing coz the question paper has like 15 questions . LETS STUDY HARDD lel
so wat subjects do u plan to take for a level im taking maths statistics , psychology , biology and food science coz i wanna be a nutritionist, hahah i took my love for food to a whole other level xDD
Haha you're making me hungry right now XD

I'm such a lazy ass, I don't even know what AS Core Maths past papers look like. :frown:
Haha you're making me hungry right now XD

I'm such a lazy ass, I don't even know what AS Core Maths past papers look like. :frown:

did u take igcse pure maths? or do u atleast have an idea about it ? its pretty much the same thing like EXACTLY THE SAME so if u plan on taking maths i advise u to buy the edexcel igcse further pure maths textbook once u know everything in that book ur good with core maths c1 to c4 then what's left is the s1 and s2 for statistics or m1 or m2 for mechanics
and lmao ur not alone in being a lazy ass ever since i was done with exams i wake up PRETTY LATEE like in the afternoon no joking xD around 12 pm up to 3 pm xD so i guess i win the award for most laziest lol
did u take igcse pure maths? or do u atleast have an idea about it ? its pretty much the same thing like EXACTLY THE SAME so if u plan on taking maths i advise u to buy the edexcel igcse further pure maths textbook once u know everything in that book ur good with core maths c1 to c4 then what's left is the s1 and s2 for statistics or m1 or m2 for mechanics
and lmao ur not alone in being a lazy ass ever since i was done with exams i wake up PRETTY LATEE like in the afternoon no joking xD around 12 pm up to 3 pm xD so i guess i win the award for most laziest lol

Well, I'm actually kinda confused how A level maths works. I mean, what modules and how many do we have to do to make it count as one single maths A level ? I'm confused. Also, I heard something like our new syllabus is 'linear' or something, and that Statistics is now compulsory !? Could you please explain everything to me ? :confused:

And yes, I did Edexcel IGCSE Further Pure Mathematics :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, I'm actually kinda confused how A level maths works. I mean, what modules and how many do we have to do to make it count as one single maths A level ? I'm confused. Also, I heard something like our new syllabus is 'linear' or something, and that Statistics is now compulsory !? Could you please explain everything to me ? :confused:

You won't do any modules in maths anymore. I finished by A Level exams like a week ago and I was part of the last year group that would have done the modular A Level Maths and Further Maths system. You will be doing a linear syllabus and all that means is it is like continuum of maths topics including mechanics and statistics that everyone has to do so in other words you don't get to choose what modules you want to do as there aren't any. The topics are literally still the same so I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
I remember I did the Edexcel Igcses for bio chem and physics back in 2016. All I remember is chemistry was really easy and physics and bio was alright. Ended up getting an A* in all of them because of the nature of the grade boundaries xD. And now I'm here waiting to see what I got for A Level Physics Chem Maths and FM :frown:
Original post by Anonymouspsych
You won't do any modules in maths anymore. I finished by A Level exams like a week ago and I was part of the last year group that would have done the modular A Level Maths and Further Maths system. You will be doing a linear syllabus and all that means is it is like continuum of maths topics including mechanics and statistics that everyone has to do so in other words you don't get to choose what modules you want to do as there aren't any. The topics are literally still the same so I wouldn't worry about it :smile:

Huh ? What does it mean that we won't do modules anymore and stuff ? I'm sorry, I'm extremely confused :frown:

And what do you mean by 'linear' ? Do we have to sit all the exams at the end of the two years or something ? Or do you mean there will be one single book containing all the topics ? Please explain :cry2:
I remember I did the Edexcel Igcses for bio chem and physics back in 2016. All I remember is chemistry was really easy and physics and bio was alright. Ended up getting an A* in all of them because of the nature of the grade boundaries xD. And now I'm here waiting to see what I got for A Level Physics Chem Maths and FM :frown:

Best of luck ! :woo:
Huh ? What does it mean that we won't do modules anymore and stuff ? I'm sorry, I'm extremely confused :frown:

And what do you mean by 'linear' ? Do we have to sit all the exams at the end of the two years or something ? Or do you mean there will be one single book containing all the topics ? Please explain :cry2:

Oh yea sorry I missed out one of the crucial points xD. So yes, linear means you will sit 3 papers at the end of the two years for maths and an additional 3 papers if you decide to do further maths, i.e. at the end of Yr 13. At the end of Year 12, you may sit AS exams but they are not compulsory and will not count towards your A Level Maths or Further Maths grade. Your school will decide whether you will be sitting the AS exams (I think there are 2 AS papers each for maths and further maths).

The old spec (the one I have done) has existed for many years and it is a modular system which means different maths topic are put in different maths modules. So for example pure maths units which everyone has to do for A Level Maths are C1 C2 C3 and C4 and there are also optional applied units including statistics units (S1 S2 S3 S4... depends on exam board), mechanics units (M1 M2 M3 M4 M5) and Decision maths (D1 D2). So as you can see in this modular system, there is a looot of different applied units which can be chosen and be done at the end of Year 12 and Year 13. So for us AS Maths and further maths made up 50% of our whole A Level. But for your A Level Maths (and further if u decide to do that), you don't get a choice what topics you do so the 3 papers you do at the end of Yr 13 will overall contain everything you have learnt over the 2 years.
Oh yea sorry I missed out one of the crucial points xD. So yes, linear means you will sit 3 papers at the end of the two years for maths and an additional 3 papers if you decide to do further maths, i.e. at the end of Yr 13. At the end of Year 12, you may sit AS exams but they are not compulsory and will not count towards your A Level Maths or Further Maths grade. Your school will decide whether you will be sitting the AS exams (I think there are 2 AS papers each for maths and further maths).

The old spec (the one I have done) has existed for many years and it is a modular system which means different maths topic are put in different maths modules. So for example pure maths units which everyone has to do for A Level Maths are C1 C2 C3 and C4 and there are also optional applied units including statistics units (S1 S2 S3 S4... depends on exam board), mechanics units (M1 M2 M3 M4 M5) and Decision maths (D1 D2). So as you can see in this modular system, there is a looot of different applied units which can be chosen and be done at the end of Year 12 and Year 13. So for us AS Maths and further maths made up 50% of our whole A Level. But for your A Level Maths (and further if u decide to do that), you don't get a choice what topics you do so the 3 papers you do at the end of Yr 13 will overall contain everything you have learnt over the 2 years.
okay, so I'm not gonna do further maths, I'll only do Maths. So how will the stuff be like in my case ?

What 3 papers are you talking about though ? And why not AS will count towards A2 ? I'm sorry :frown:
Reply 52
Does anyone know when edexcel put the igcse papers onto their website?

i dont know bout the new 'linear' syllabus ur school has introduced all i know is maths is not compulsory to take, atleast this is how it is in my school but if one does choose to take maths there are 4 cores c1 , c2 , c3 , c4 basically these are similar to the chapters in pure maths just broken down into smaller categories together . in addition to c1 to c4 it depends what type of math ur taking if its statistics there are 2 chapters/categories s1 and s2 which now deal about statistics only. So thats a total of 6 chapters u'll need to study for maths statistics the same applies for mechanics except u dont have s1 and s2 u have m1 and m2 ,u can look up on the past papers.
however its not the same case for further pure maths there are like 8 chapters i think its just complicated there n u have to be an einstein genius to take it xD. i hope i helped some way :smile:
What 3 papers are you talking about though ? And why not AS will count towards A2 ? I'm sorry :frown:

well the 3 papers will be different depending on what exam board you do but here is an example from edexcel:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-sams.pdf

The pdf contains all 3 specimen paper for A Level Maths. There aren't any actual papers available for A level maths new spec as the first set of real papers will be sat in 2019.

Basically think of the AS as a separate qualification to an A Level. It's just stupid stuff the government does and I wouldn't worry about it. Basically before the new spec, AS contributed to the A level grade whereas now only the A Level stuff counts towards the A Level grade and the AS stuff doesn't. It really isn't anything to worry about like it doesn't make a difference. The overall content you will do in maths is pretty much identical (with some modifications) so you can still use the old spec past papers for practice :smile:
well the 3 papers will be different depending on what exam board you do but here is an example from edexcel:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-sams.pdf

The pdf contains all 3 specimen paper for A Level Maths. There aren't any actual papers available for A level maths new spec as the first set of real papers will be sat in 2019.

Basically think of the AS as a separate qualification to an A Level. It's just stupid stuff the government does and I wouldn't worry about it. Basically before the new spec, AS contributed to the A level grade whereas now only the A Level stuff counts towards the A Level grade and the AS stuff doesn't. It really isn't anything to worry about like it doesn't make a difference. The overall content you will do in maths is pretty much identical (with some modifications) so you can still use the old spec past papers for practice :smile:

Oh I've understood now. So no exams for me in May 2019 ? And I've noticed you are saying '3 papers'. What 3 papers are they ? Mechanics, Core, and what ?

Sorry I'm driving you crazy :hide: :colondollar:
Oh I've understood now. So no exams for me in May 2019 ? And I've noticed you are saying '3 papers'. What 3 papers are they ? Mechanics, Core, and what ?

Sorry I'm driving you crazy :hide: :colondollar:

Different exam boards will arrange their papers differently. On the link I sent you for edexcel, they have a pure mathematics 1 paper, pure mathematics 2 paper and the 3rd paper is a mixture of mechanics and statistics. So essentially the first 2 papers are pure core maths papers and the 3rd paper is applied maths, namely mechanics and statistics. All exam boards will have core maths,mechanics and statistics in their A level maths spec no matter how the papers are arranged.

For example AQA does it a bit differently to edexcel; they have a pure maths paper for the 1st paper. But their second paper is a mixture of pure maths and mechanics and their third paper is a mixture of pure maths and stats.
Different exam boards will arrange their papers differently. On the link I sent you for edexcel, they have a pure mathematics 1 paper, pure mathematics 2 paper and the 3rd paper is a mixture of mechanics and statistics. So essentially the first 2 papers are pure core maths papers and the 3rd paper is applied maths, namely mechanics and statistics. All exam boards will have core maths,mechanics and statistics in their A level maths spec no matter how the papers are arranged.

For example AQA does it a bit differently to edexcel; they have a pure maths paper for the 1st paper. But their second paper is a mixture of pure maths and mechanics and their third paper is a mixture of pure maths and stats.

Thank you so much :heart:

You have cleared such a HUGE confusion of mine :smile:

Lastly, I want to ask you, that since the spec has changed, the book has also changed, right ? If so, do I need only 3 books for the 3 papers ? And do I not need to sit any of those math exam in may 2019 ?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending