The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor XIII 18 June - 12 July

Hello all and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread where you can ask me any question about Cambridge and the admissions processes at the University. I shall be here in advance of the University Open Days on 5th and 6th July and then will remain for a few days afterwards to mop up any questions that people might have in the aftermath of being on the Open Days.

As with many colleges, Murray Edwards is running a College Open Day in the morning of the first University Open Day (5th July) and you can book on that here.

In the meantime, please fire away with your questions. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello all and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread where you can ask me any question about Cambridge and the admissions processes at the University. I shall be here in advance of the University Open Days on 5th and 6th July and then will remain for a few days afterwards to mop up any questions that people might have in the aftermath of being on the Open Days.

As with many colleges, Murray Edwards is running a College Open Day in the morning of the first University Open Day (5th July) and you can book on that here.

In the meantime, please fire away with your questions. :smile:

Hi, not quite about admissions but will there be an ask an AT regarding the summer pool and results day?
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Hi, not quite about admissions but will there be an ask an AT regarding the summer pool and results day?

Hello and thanks for the question. Yes, @Peterhouse Admissions usually run a very helpful thread in the run up to results day.
Hello and thanks for the question. Yes, @Peterhouse Admissions usually run a very helpful thread in the run up to results day.

Thanks, glad to know that that will be there!
Reply 4
Tagging in some forum posters with recent questions about Cambridge admissions...
@KingCamembert, @sadiadventures, @RWA1Ker, @harry.r90, @ovo192

Folks, I suggest you ask your question again in this thread :smile:

And if you weren't aware there's also the official 2019 Applicants thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4411262
(edited 5 years ago)
How much does involvement in the relevant Olympiads help with your application?
Reply 6
I have just finished my A level maths exams, but I feel I have only gotten an A. Is it still possible for me to get an offer for physical natsci? It's unlikely that I have, but if I got a B grade, would that rule me out completely? It's also worth mentioning that this year's cohort was very unusual so it might mean it's harder to get the higher grades than normal.

Also how does Cambridge view resists for A Level maths in my situation? If I still got an offer, would the offer then contain A Level maths at A*?

Thanks in advance
Reply 7
Hi,
for engineering would we be at a disadvantage if we are taking 3 A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)?
Also what would you recommend for practice for the ENGAA?

Thanks
Who was Murray Edwards? Very 'interesting' name...
Original post by HelloHello!

It’s not a name of one person but three.
https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/about/brief-history
Original post by vincrows
It’s not a name of one person but three.
https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/about/brief-history

Wow, £30 million, no wonder they have a college named after them. Good on them :smile:
Original post by Dragolien
How much does involvement in the relevant Olympiads help with your application?

Hello and thank you for your question. Involvement in Olympiads is always a good sign of super-curricular engagement and, as such is welcomed. A good performance is never going to be enough on its own to obtain an offer but it is often part of a successful applicant's profile. That said, huge numbers of successful applicants have either never done any Olympiad or have not performed brilliantly in them. In short, it's a useful extra but not in any sense a condition for success.
Original post by HelloHello!

Good question - it's actually three people! :smile:

The Murray bit is for Dame Rosemary Murray, the woman who founded the College (New Hall as it was known then). The 'Edwards' recognises the donation to the College by the Edwards family, specifically Dr Ros Edwards (an alumna of the College) and her husband Steve, in 2008.

A brief history of the College can be found here for those who are interested.

EDIT: I see @vincrows has got there before me! :smile: Like most Oxbridge colleges that aren't named after Saints or Jesus Christ, we're named after a combination of our founder and/or chief donor!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by squadt_
I have just finished my A level maths exams, but I feel I have only gotten an A. Is it still possible for me to get an offer for physical natsci? It's unlikely that I have, but if I got a B grade, would that rule me out completely? It's also worth mentioning that this year's cohort was very unusual so it might mean it's harder to get the higher grades than normal.

Also how does Cambridge view resists for A Level maths in my situation? If I still got an offer, would the offer then contain A Level maths at A*?

Thanks in advance

I think this answer will be of interest to @Kazo11 too as the Admissions Forum (basically the group of all the Admissions Tutors at the different colleges) has been discussing the issues raised by both of you recently. A form of words is about to 'go live' on the University website literally in the next day or so. When it does, I shall update this post to point you towards it. Once it's there, I'll be happy to answer any follows up you have on it. Hope that's ok, I just don't want to reformulate the answer when what we produced was done so after a long discussion about what the appropriate response should be to performance in A Level Maths in Year 12 and to Maths, FM and one other subject.
Hi, how much attention do you pay towards school/college references? Are there any particular things that you look for?
Reply 15
Hello and thank you for your question. Involvement in Olympiads is always a good sign of super-curricular engagement and, as such is welcomed. A good performance is never going to be enough on its own to obtain an offer but it is often part of a successful applicant's profile. That said, huge numbers of successful applicants have either never done any Olympiad or have not performed brilliantly in them. In short, it's a useful extra but not in any sense a condition for success.

So would you say that even if you didn't do very well on olympiads you should still put it on your application? For example, would getting a bronze be seen as a "That applicant didn't have the acedemic standart to acheive ... award" or is it more of just a good sign to show you are willing to participate and complete extra challenges outside of school?
Original post by RedGiant
Hi, how much attention do you pay towards school/college references? Are there any particular things that you look for?

We will always take what teachers say about you seriously as they know you much better than we do. Two things that are very useful in references are a focus on your suitability to study your chosen subject at a highly selective university and benchmarking your performance within your year group and also within a teacher’s career experience (e.g. one of the best physicists I have taught in my 15 years of teaching etc.)
Good question - it's actually three people! :smile:

The Murray bit is for Dame Rosemary Murray, the woman who founded the College (New Hall as it was known then). The 'Edwards' recognises the donation to the College by the Edwards family, specifically Dr Ros Edwards (an alumna of the College) and her husband Steve, in 2008.

A brief history of the College can be found here for those who are interested.

EDIT: I see @vincrows has got there before me! :smile: Like most Oxbridge colleges that aren't named after Saints or Jesus Christ, we're named after a combination of our founder and/or chief donor!

The change of name happened a few years before my daughter started at Cambridge. Whenever we mention Murray Edwards, 4 older cantabs in the family still ask, with a puzzled look, ‘Who?’
Haven’t tried them yet with ‘Medwards’ in case their head explode..........

A certain college next to you i was named after a street they were happened to be on when their life started.. Nothing holy about them......:tongue:
How does it work if you are offered a place, miss the grade, but send off papers for remarks, For example with economics, being an essay based subject it is likelier a result might change?

Do all colleges allow a certain length of time for remarks to be sent off or do different colleges follow different time frames (assuming its not an outright rejection on results day)?

Also, if I make the offer of A*A*A, but not in the subjects specified, say if I get an A* in maths but not in further maths, does that automatically mean I would be put in the summer pool if I met the minimum requirements but not the specific conditions?
Reply 19
I am a Year 12 student who has just finished their AS Exams in Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics and I think I'll achieve AAAB (the B in FM). I would like to study Engineering at university, assuming I do get AAAB in my AS exams, would I have a chance of getting into Cambridge, considering I took some time off school due to health issues.

And I am planning to drop either FM or Chemistry, is there a real advantage to doing Further Maths admissions-wise?

Latest

Trending

Trending