The Student Room Group

The 2019 Cambridge Applicants Mood Thread

As the interview season approaches check the Official Cambridge Interview thread here:
>>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5674588 <<<

And the perennial question... what to wear at interview?
Answer, whatever you feel comfortable in but layers are a good idea.
Cambridge can be chilly in December!

:banana:Welcome to the 2019 applicants University of Cambridge thread:banana:

This is mainly for current students like myself, who are aiming to gain successful entry into the University of Cambridge to study our desired courses at one of the most elite and world-recognised universities not only just in the UK but in the world. :biggrin:

Please express all your knowledge about Cambridge, help others in their applications and feel free to talk about anything :smile: What do you want to do at Cambridge? I want to do Computer Science and hopefully, graduate with a first class honours degree:clap2::congrats:

Remember, be friendly with each other and respect opinions :smile:

Mod edit: adding in a few links to some invaluable resources for anyone considering applying to Cambridge:

:cool: 2019 Cambridge Applicants Stalking Info :cool:
Click this to add yourself to the sheet! :yy:
Click this to see everyone's details :grouphugs:

How to choose a Cambridge college (and how not to...)
Cambridge official FAQs for applicants

A great article from The Guardian "So who is good enough to get into Cambridge?"
(note, it's a little dated now, and processes can vary by college/course)

Info about Cambridge interviews - with helpful videos
Neat stuff for applicants!
The Cambridge Alternative Prospectus - student-written info about Colleges and Courses

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is early 😳 (I have applied this year for 2017 entry)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 2
Well someone is ahead of their self : )
Madame, you must calm yourself down. You are too eager. I'm not even sure what I want to do for my A Levels yet. You must slow yourself weaboo.
Wow, this is early. Concentrate on your GCSEs, and then you can join in the applicant bants. Congrats for being ambitious and eager, I guess. :tongue:

(I'm applying for 2017 entry)
Yeah! I've been waiting for this thread for sooo long! Looking forward to my GCSEs and A levels. Keep on studying guys!! :banana::banana:
Original post by BobBobson
Madame, you must calm yourself down. You are too eager. I'm not even sure what I want to do for my A Levels yet. You must slow yourself weaboo.

Lol, stfu m8
I was concentrating on my Minecraft server in Year 11, not Cambridge :s
Original post by LennyBicknel
I was concentrating on my Minecraft server in Year 11, not Cambridge :s

I was concentrating on Pokémon 😂
I'm in Year 11 too!! xD
Hi :h: now that GCSEs are almost over, those of us who want to can start getting more hyped about uni! Maybe it'd be an idea to add more information/links/icebreaker questions to the OP, like in the 2018 thread?

Is anyone else here going to Trinity Open Day on the 26th? I'm so excited to see it properly at last! I'm applying for linguistics, by the way :smile:
Hey! I'm interested for 2019 entry. Mathematics degree.
Original post by esrever
Hey! I'm interested for 2019 entry. Mathematics degree.

Yay, it's great to see more early birds! :smile: Have you thought about colleges?
Original post by Sonechka
Yay, it's great to see more early birds! :smile: Have you thought about colleges?

I was thinking of Trinity college. But I was told that all colleges are exceptional so sticking to one college isn't a good idea. So I'm fine with any college :smile:.
Original post by esrever
I was thinking of Trinity college. But I was told that all colleges are exceptional so sticking to one college isn't a good idea. So I'm fine with any college :smile:.

Same! :highfive: I see what you mean; I was thinking of making an open application at first and I'd be fine with it if I were pooled but I've totally fallen in love with Trinity. I'd prefer a big college with lots of people, as well.
Hello!

Hoping to do Maths, and at Trinity College, but also not really any preference.

How is everyone feeling about results day?
Same! :highfive: I see what you mean; I was thinking of making an open application at first and I'd be fine with it if I were pooled but I've totally fallen in love with Trinity. I'd prefer a big college with lots of people, as well.

That is great! Even I have never visited it but out of all the colleges that I've seen and read about, I've loved Trinity the most. It also has a great legacy in mathematics.
Yass the Trinitarians are taking over :P my boyfriend is a prospective trinmo too; I'm probably in the minority as a non-STEM applicant aiming for Trinity (though linguistics is STEM...sort of).

I'm getting more apprehensive now that it's 6 days away, and I want to feel that I've done myself justice :s but with regards to Cambridge and GCSEs, I went to Trinity's open day this year and the AT literally said that GCSEs just aren't that important, so it's definitely not the end of the world if any of us get a smattering of As.

Nice username btw @etothepiiplusone ^_~

I've already received my results. My IGCSEs aren't that great but Cambridge's selection process gives me a bit of hope.

Are you doing any serious extracurricular activities? I've heard that many people who get into Trinity are from an Olympiad background. So I'm doing nothing much other than Olympiad prep.

Anyways, how do you know about Euler's identity?
(edited 6 years ago)
Lucky :/ you can't have done too badly; as long as you got an A* in maths and didn't get any seriously low grades, it shouldn't raise any eyebrows (and I've heard stories about people getting in with a D at GCSE).

I do a lot of music and drama anyway, out of genuine enjoyment, so I'm going to carry on with that as much as I can even if I don't mention it on my PS. In case I apply for French & Russian (MML) rather than linguistics, I'm planning to do some cultural super-curriculars related to those, and for linguistics I've done a MOOC, a couple of relevant competitions and a lot of reading and I will be doing an EPQ, an essay prize and the UK Linguistics Olympiad. I guess there's not much else you can do for maths except reading/independent research; a summer school might look good but that depends on your Olympiad performance.

It's quite well-known, as identities go! I like maths :smile: I'll be doing further maths and probably applying for York's maths & linguistics joint course. There is a BMO prep thread already btw if you haven't seen it (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4728232). How did you do in this year's IMC?

I'm an international so I can't give BMO and I'm not sure what IMC is. There are exams called RMO and INMO as alternatives to BMO1 and BMO2 in my country so I'm preparing for that. RMO is quite easy but I find INMO a bit tough. I'm consistently getting 2-3/6 problems. If I can push it to 4/6 problems, then I may stand a chance :smile:. I'm also doing a bit of independent reading and hopefully I get time to do more. Probably the only bad thing is that year 12 is the final year for giving the Olympiad exams. I'm not allowed to give them in year 13.

Wishing you luck for linguistics! Do Well :biggrin:.
To anyone who says it's too early to start this thread

stfu please ((:

Whilst you were too busy playing Pokemon and chatting **** at our age. Some of us have bigger dreams.

It's not too early to be thinking about university if you've finished your GCSEs honestly (:

Don't be letting anyone tell you you're too young to have high ambitions like Cambridge and Oxford. Just be glad we aren't part of the generation who have goals to be strippers and are okay with a standard job. The whole point of this thread is anyone who has ambitions to go to a top university, should come here. Yes, no one is guaranteed a place a uni like this. But it's the aspiration that counts. Things like this push people to want to work harder.