The Student Room Group

Any advice you would give to people starting their Alevels?

Scroll to see replies

dont
Original post by MaizieAmyr
That really helped thanks :smile:
I'm taking maths, physics and biology (but I will probably change it to further maths) And I am doing german externally.

The only one of those I do (I guess it's did now 😂) is biology and I'd definitely say it's one of those subjects you need to love to do. I love biology (hopefully doing microbiology at university) but even I started hating A Level biology by the end of it so just keep that in mind if you're thinking of switching it!

Honestly a levels is just a time of constant stress but I'm also going to miss it! There was a sense of camaraderie with everyone in my college and it was a fun time as we all had break downs together! It is tough but I'm glad I did it so I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
The only one of those I do (I guess it's did now 😂) is biology and I'd definitely say it's one of those subjects you need to love to do. I love biology (hopefully doing microbiology at university) but even I started hating A Level biology by the end of it so just keep that in mind if you're thinking of switching it!

Honestly a levels is just a time of constant stress but I'm also going to miss it! There was a sense of camaraderie with everyone in my college and it was a fun time as we all had break downs together! It is tough but I'm glad I did it so I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I enjoy certain aspects of biology and the A level spec contains all the aspects I despise so it didn't seem like a good idea to take it.
Ok, well im retaking. I've gone through year 12 twice so yea...made plenty of mistakes lol.

Firstly, be honest with yourself when trying out your subjects early on in the year. Do you really enjoy it or are you taking it because its expected of you, and is in fact going to make you miserable for the entire year?? (ahem, history.) If it's the latter DROP THAT CRAP.

Get yourself organized right from the get go. Do reading before class, review notes after class, make flashcards etc. Start as you mean to go on, and come exam time you'll find yourself in a really good position. This also includes looking for work experience opportunities really early on, so you don't have to worry yourself in the summer.

Stay productive but that doesn't mean your schedule should be cram packed with activities-- you have to be careful of burnout too. Find something you can do to keep your mind out of work or a while. Go enjoy going out with friends!! Go to the gym! Volunteer! You don't have to be thinking about school all the time.

And make the most of your long GCSE summer omg. You lucky lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest