The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Your opinion on lowering english requirements

Hello, I am an international student holding a conditional offer from bristol. One of the conditions is obviously the IELTS score which I need to get 7 from wiriting and 6.5 in other elements at least. I've taken the test and my scores are: listening 7.5, reading 8.5, writing 6.5, speaking 7. I am planning to email to school and ask if they can do anything and accept my results but I still wanted to hear some others' opinions. So do you think it's likely they can lower their requirements half a point?
Reply 1
Well I think it's hard to request to lower the requirement. However, you can try to email them. If the course does not have many students apply for so maybe you can be considered. Meanwhile, you can also register for another Ielts exam in case they do not accept your request. Btw, are you under or postgraduate student? I'm an international student as well :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by lily204
Well I think it's hard to request to lower the requirement. However, you can try to email them. If the course does not have many students apply for so maybe you can be considered. Meanwhile, you can also register for another Ielts exam in case they do not accept your request. Btw, are you under or postgraduate student? I'm an international student as well :smile:

undergraduate :smile: I can register for another bu tthe test is quite expensive where I live, and also I find the whole thing very stressful so I wouldn't wanna go through that again
Original post by bluemountn
Hello, I am an international student holding a conditional offer from bristol. One of the conditions is obviously the IELTS score which I need to get 7 from wiriting and 6.5 in other elements at least. I've taken the test and my scores are: listening 7.5, reading 8.5, writing 6.5, speaking 7. I am planning to email to school and ask if they can do anything and accept my results but I still wanted to hear some others' opinions. So do you think it's likely they can lower their requirements half a point?

Hi

Unfortunately English requirements are usually quite strict at UK universities because they want to be sure you have good enough English to cope with the course.

The university also has to confirm your level of English for your visa.

But it's always worth contacting the university just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending