The Student Room Group

A*BB predictions

Applying for Uni entry to do an English BA, interested in Exeter and Birmingham however their entry requirements are AAB for English and my predicted grades are going to be ABB. Will they decline me or would I still have chance, especially as the A is in English? I also have an A* in the EPQ, and both unis reduce offers for having at least an A in it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Nobody can tell. You dont meet the offer conditions so could rightly be rejected. However in practice most universities accept a dropped grade. The only way to find out is to apply but make sure you have other options where you do meet the conditions
Reply 2
Worth applying for English at both of these - English isn't that competitive, and Exeter appear to be very lenient in who they take - their entry requirements are mostly for show. Brum might be a bit more of a stretch but still worth an application. Just make sure your other 3 choices are more realistic/safe.
Original post by blvebelle
Applying for Uni entry to do an English BA, interested in Exeter and Birmingham however their entry requirements are AAB for English and my predicted grades are going to be ABB. Will they decline me or would I still have chance, especially as the A is in English? I also have an A* in the EPQ, and both unis reduce offers for having at least an A in it.

Hi, I can't speak for those unis in particular, but if you're definitely interested in going there then there would be no harm as long as you also apply to places with lower entry requirements as well and/or are prepared to go through clearing if necessary. Since you have a high grade in EPQ that should increase your chances, especially if you are able to write a strong personal statement. Lastly, it is always worth saying not to lose hope if your initial goals don't work out! There are always other options to get where you want to be.
Good luck!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)
If you apply to Birmingham with an A* in your EPQ then they should offer you ABB which you hope to achieve so definitely apply to Birmingham. Other universities that lower the grade if you have an A in your EPQ are:

Sheffield
Cardiff
Lancaster

Not sure what their English courses are like though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending