The Student Room Group

Is this enough for a personal statement?

I obviously can’t post it here but I’ll give a brief structure:
Any criticism is welcome!

Brief introduction talking about why psychology interests me
paragraph about how my interests developed. I also mentioned how more recently I’ve been listening to podcasts and what I found interesting about them. In particular the work of one specific psychologist.
paragraph relating my part time job to psychology. My job requires a lot of people watching so I linked my observations to key studies and mentioned an article I found interesting and why.
brief paragraph about how my other subjects link together and what I’ve gained from studying them that’ll help me study psychology at uni
brief paragraph about my transferable skills alongside my extra curriculars
short and sweet conclusion

Unfortunately, I’ve already gone over the line count so I’ll need to delete or reword some stuff. Is this structure okay though? I don’t really know what I’m doing~
Looks like a pretty good structure :smile:
You may want to get it proof read and checked by a teacher or something too - they might be able to advice where to cut/improve sections
You could also take a look at this:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help
Original post by haseeb_jarral
Looks like a pretty good structure :smile:
You may want to get it proof read and checked by a teacher or something too - they might be able to advice where to cut/improve sections
You could also take a look at this:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help

I’m hoping to get it checked over tomorrow once I’ve reworded a few things but I’m scared I’ll get torn to shreds 😂😅
Original post by megan.louiseeee
I’m hoping to get it checked over tomorrow once I’ve reworded a few things but I’m scared I’ll get torn to shreds 😂😅

Looks like a good starting point. Just getting some information down on paper is the first step. It can be helpful to bullet point all of the important things you want to mention and then slot them into your structure.

Most people's first draft is not great, so don't worry too much :smile:
Reply 4
Sounds great
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Looks like a good starting point. Just getting some information down on paper is the first step. It can be helpful to bullet point all of the important things you want to mention and then slot them into your structure.

Most people's first draft is not great, so don't worry too much :smile:

I got torn down today lol
Supposedly I haven’t spoken about myself enough and the reader won’t really get an idea of what I’m like. I’m struggling to add this in though because 1) I’m already over the line limit and 2) I’m a really boring person 😭😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Teachers often don't have an idea about what a PS should contain. The vast majority of it should be regarding your interest in psychology :smile: The stuff about your other A Levels can certainly go
Original post by Interrobang
Teachers often don't have an idea about what a PS should contain. The vast majority of it should be regarding your interest in psychology :smile: The stuff about your other A Levels can certainly go

That’s what I was told to include ffs 😭😂 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending