The Student Room Group

England v Sweden 3pm Saturday

Scroll to see replies

Who feels sad after 2 days without World Cup 😂
90% of why I want us to get through now is just for the memes.
going for 2-0 England.

I was far more worried about Colombia, they have the style and the aggression to cause an upset and fight for a result - which they very nearly did. Sweeden's style suits ours more, and I think the match will be decided entirely on how England's attack clicks. Get a few set pieces, and we will find a goal. Sweden looked poor overall despite getting past Switzerland, nothing in that game made me particularly worried.
Referee is Scandinavian and called "Bjorn"... shouldn't be biased
Original post by fallen_acorns
going for 2-0 England.

I was far more worried about Colombia, they have the style and the aggression to cause an upset and fight for a result - which they very nearly did. Sweeden's style suits ours more, and I think the match will be decided entirely on how England's attack clicks. Get a few set pieces, and we will find a goal. Sweden looked poor overall despite getting past Switzerland, nothing in that game made me particularly worried.

I sort of agree- I perhaps rate Sweden a bit more than you do. I think defensively they're good, and they create some good counter attacks but they don't have anyone with the quality to reliably finish for them.

I do think Sweden will let us play however we want to, and if we can sustain some pressure then we should get a goal. I do think in general they can defend set pieces well, but we've some good ideas so we might be able to get something past them, especially if their players start to tire. Their goalie seems pretty good, though.

Sweden looked better against Mexico than Switzerland imo.

I definitely thought Colombia could beat us, but I have more confidence about us beating Sweden- so who knows what that means!
Reply 85
I'm not hugely hopeful. Still think England are favourites, but they haven't been convincing enough at finishing imo. They've struggled against far less solid defenses than Sweden's. Really, really need to start taking chances or we'll lose, simple as that.
Original post by Tom Bowdon
Referee is Scandinavian and called "Bjorn"... shouldn't be biased

He's Dutch...

But, get your excuses in now if you like
Original post by Rock Fan
It's coming home

yes john xx
Im Welsh and supporting england.

Haven’t done it since I was 6 20 years ago but I like this English team and as they’re our neighbours (and I’ve lived here for 7 years) then I don’t mind supporting them despite being such big rivals!

Finding a lot of the Irish welsh Scots pretty petulant and jealous if I’m honest when I’ve talked to them about it. Its been a good campaign and everyone’s having a laugh and enjoying themselves about it. Find the it’s coming home videos for example pretty amusing. Not many actually expect england to win the World Cup but it’s great to see a nation enjoying themselves with a team full of youngsters an non egos.

Couldn’t think of anything worse than supporting Colombia in that last game too. A disgrace to football how they played and deservedly out.
Reply 89
Come on England!!

Yes I've decided to support England. We'll beat Sweden, beat Croatia and lose in the final, unfortunately that other side of the draw are too good. Not sure on Belgium as we both played our second teams.

Kane to score 2 tomorrow.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
Im Welsh and supporting england.

Haven’t done it since I was 6 20 years ago but I like this English team and as they’re our neighbours (and I’ve lived here for 7 years) then I don’t mind supporting them despite being such big rivals!

Finding a lot of the Irish welsh Scots pretty petulant and jealous if I’m honest when I’ve talked to them about it. Its been a good campaign and everyone’s having a laugh and enjoying themselves about it. Find the it’s coming home videos for example pretty amusing. Not many actually expect england to win the World Cup but it’s great to see a nation enjoying themselves with a team full of youngsters an non egos.

Couldn’t think of anything worse than supporting Colombia in that last game too. A disgrace to football how they played and deservedly out.

Great post mate agree with it all.
Original post by Rock Fan
It's coming home

its already home
yeah they're coming home after they get kicked out tomorrow
Reply 93
Original post by goggleyed
yeah they're coming home after they get kicked out tomorrow

+1 on that
We're guaranteed at least 1 Manchester United player playing in the final.

Last time that happened? 1966.

It's coming home.
Original post by sr90

It's coming home.

Lmaooo where and who is finding these stats
Original post by rhaegar449
Lmaooo where and who is finding these stats

Me, myself and I.
Original post by sr90
Me, myself and I.

oh ffs :biggrin:
England playing in red tomorrow 🔴
Original post by sr90

It's coming home.

Wow, hats off to you pal for finding this astonishing stat!

Quick Reply

Latest