The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Psychology at Southampton Uni

I really, really want to take Psychology at Southamton uni. The location is great and psychology is my favourite subject.

However, my friends neighbours go to Southampton and take Psychology and they’ve told me that if I am not good at maths or science, I should stear clear of Southampton as most of the course is centred around this. I know there will be statistics and science in any Psychology degree, but should I be worried about Southampton in particular??
Don't worry too much about what they've said. Do some more research into the course structure and get in contact with the admissions office.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by katie091000
I really, really want to take Psychology at Southamton uni. The location is great and psychology is my favourite subject.

However, my friends neighbours go to Southampton and take Psychology and they’ve told me that if I am not good at maths or science, I should stear clear of Southampton as most of the course is centred around this. I know there will be statistics and science in any Psychology degree, but should I be worried about Southampton in particular??

Not entirely true, I am so bad at maths, got a D or E at GCSE (Went back to college at 26). Cannot even do basic maths, but with all things in life, once you are taught how to do it then I guess you can do it.

I'm in my second year soon, got a 68 and 72 in my statistics modules, you will be fine.
Original post by random_matt
Not entirely true, I am so bad at maths, got a D or E at GCSE (Went back to college at 26). Cannot even do basic maths, but with all things in life, once you are taught how to do it then I guess you can do it.

I'm in my second year soon, got a 68 and 72 in my statistics modules, you will be fine.

Oh wow that’s amazing, thanks so much for your reply. I’m just so worried I won’t do well on the course and I’ll have to drop out but it’s my favourite subject :frown:
My other issue here is that at the moment I take Psychology a Level and I’m actually doing the worst in this then in any of my other subjects. I’m just really worried I’m going to struggle
Reply 5
Original post by katie091000

Looking at the modules I would say that the ability to analyse information and take from/put this on spreadsheets and use formulas is more important than maths.
Original post by nutz99
Looking at the modules I would say that the ability to analyse information and take from/put this on spreadsheets and use formulas is more important than maths.

I agree. I just don’t want to start something and end up being way in over my head because it would be a waste of money and time, but it’s the only thing I’m interested in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending