The Student Room Group

HELP NOW!!! writing a operationally hypothesis and I'm confused

So, I'm writing a research paper for psychology on gender and stopping completely at a stop sign.....

Already did my natural observation/surveys now I'm starting to figure out the statistics of it all......but cant even think of how to start my paper...

any help would be great!!!
how did you measure stopping completely at a stop sign?
Original post by Pink fizz
how did you measure stopping completely at a stop sign?

we measured by the definition of a "complete stop". you have to be stopped for 3 seconds (we also put down those who did a stop roll).

we did our natural observation at a 3 way stop sign into a busy mall, we observed 80 vehicles in total(if that helps)

*****Its my first time writing any paper like this
Is this for a resit?

This is hardly paper writing time, and relax stop freaking out someone has done this before, youtube and google examples lol.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Is this for a resit?

This is hardly paper writing time, and relax stop freaking out someone has done this before, youtube and google examples lol.

well none of it is helping me......this is my first time taking Psychology and I'm feeling really confused.
Original post by smwihlidal9990
we measured by the definition of a "complete stop". you have to be stopped for 3 seconds (we also put down those who did a stop roll).

we did our natural observation at a 3 way stop sign into a busy mall, we observed 80 vehicles in total(if that helps)

*****Its my first time writing any paper like this

Okay so, you could have 'there will be a significant difference between the number of females and the number of males who stop for 3 seconds at a stop sign'
Ohhhh ok! I feel like I’m making this way more complicated then it needs to be. So that statement would be the hypothesis, so our instructor is wanting a 1/2 page for this so I was assuming I would put our hypothesis and just expand on it
Original post by smwihlidal9990
Ohhhh ok! I feel like I’m making this way more complicated then it needs to be. So that statement would be the hypothesis, so our instructor is wanting a 1/2 page for this so I was assuming I would put our hypothesis and just expand on it

Yep that's pretty much it 😊
Reply 8
[QUOTE="fizz;78853480" Pink="Pink"]Okay so, you could have 'there will be a significant difference between the number of females and the number of males who stop for 3 seconds at a stop sign'[/QUOTE

Yep that's pretty much it 😊

If you really feel like you need more you could explain why you have selected a non-directional hypothesis or a directional hypothesis (directional only if previous research suggests one or the other genders more likely to obey). Then later when you go on to use your stats tests (a chi square test?) this will determine whether you apply a one or two tailed test
[QUOTE="Clwclw;78873994"]
Okay so, you could have 'there will be a significant difference between the number of females and the number of males who stop for 3 seconds at a stop sign'[/QUOTE

If you really feel like you need more you could explain why you have selected a non-directional hypothesis or a directional hypothesis (directional only if previous research suggests one or the other genders more likely to obey). Then later when you go on to use your stats tests (a chi square test?) this will determine whether you apply a one or two tailed test

Think you quoted the wrong person

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending