The Student Room Group

Capping non academic degrees

Hey guys wondered what your thoughts were on this.

2 friends. One at a Russell group uni and one not.

The friend at a Russell group uni gets a 2.1 in a medical degree - a worthy degree for society to benefit from (I think you might agree).

The other friend, at a 'lesser uni' gets a First in Dance.

With friends we discussed should non academic degrees be capped at a 2.1?

Is it right that a person with a dance degree can hold a first whilst the other, with a medical 2.1 is seen as being not as successful in their qualification?

Or, maybe they are not seen as being not so successful?

Footnote: Just to add, I'm happy for anyone with a First in any subject from any University........ or a 2.1, or a 2.2, or a 2.3....
(edited 5 years ago)
You're lying - you don't have any friends.
Reply 2
Original post by YaliaV
You're lying - you don't have any friends.

Helpful :biggrin: You've obviously got a First in Dance.
Reply 3
What?

No an empoyer for example can just read the different job titles; they demand different things.

Example situation: Student A gets a 1:1 in medicine; student B gets a 1:2 in Russian.

I'm doing business with Russia (they happen to be funding my presidential campaign or something like that), and looking for someone on my team. I'm still more likely to hire student B. (Obviously it can be a lot less clear, or a lot more contextual, but the baseline is different degrees offer different things.)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Racoon

And if someone did get a first in dance?

:tongue:

They have ownership of that choice, so I don't see what's wrong.
Reply 5
It seems quite odd to cap a degree, regardless of how hard they have worked, based on your idea of what is and isn't 'academic'. Like the user above has posted different degrees and subsequently jobs require different things. Regardless of whether you think your friend studied a 'worthy' degree, even if it was at a 'lesser' university they have clearly worked hard enough in their discipline to come out with a first. Even if you don't see the value in what they are doing. And no I don't do dance, I have two left feet and no rhythm. Dance may have no value to your or me but to others it does, there have been studies that show the positive correlation between dance and mental health etc. I hope you don't say some of this stuff in real life because it makes you sound as though you are begrudging your friend their success instead of being happy for them.
Reply 6
Original post by pdnd373
And if someone did get a first in dance?

:tongue:

They have ownership of that choice, so I don't see what's wrong.

Personally I don't have a problem with Firsts in softer subjects from non-Russell group unis but some people seem to.

I thought it would make for an interesting discussion, not dissing any degree myself as I think to survive any degree for 3 years and get through it all still sane is an achievement in it self. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Justmac
It seems quite odd to cap a degree, regardless of how hard they have worked, based on your idea of what is and isn't 'academic'. Like the user above has posted different degrees and subsequently jobs require different things. Regardless of whether you think your friend studied a 'worthy' degree, even if it was at a 'lesser' university they have clearly worked hard enough in their discipline to come out with a first. Even if you don't see the value in what they are doing. And no I don't do dance, I have two left feet and no rhythm. Dance may have no value to your or me but to others it does, there have been studies that show the positive correlation between dance and mental health etc. I hope you don't say some of this stuff in real life because it makes you sound as though you are begrudging your friend their success instead of being happy for them.

Not my personal thoughts but I still thought it worthy of discussion.

'been studies that show the positive correlation between dance and mental health etc' - totally agree
Original post by Racoon

The friend at a Russell group uni gets a 2.1 in a medical degree - a worthy degree for society to benefit from (I think you might agree).

Is it right that a person with a dance degree can hold a first whilst the other, with a medical 2.1 is seen as being not as successful in their qualification?

It would be daft to cap the softer subjects - you pay 9000 a year to jig and jump and learn the tango - you want something to show for it.

But I would question why is there a degree in dance in the first place. The amount of degrees listed should be cut drastically. We are churning out graduates with little hope of getting a job with these subjects
Reply 9
Original post by Racoon
Not my personal thoughts but I still thought it worthy of discussion.

'been studies that show the positive correlation between dance and mental health etc' - totally agree

Sorry for the accusation then! I can understand why people may be disgruntled if they perceive their degree to be more rigorous etc but I'm a firm believe in each subject having its own strengths and values. Not everyone can (or should be) a doctor.
Original post by Racoon

No, but I do like to salsa. I just don't understand why you invented friends when you could have made it a hypothetical situation.
Reply 11
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It would be daft to cap the softer subjects - you pay 9000 a year to jig and jump and learn the tango - you want something to show for it.

But I would question why is there a degree in dance in the first place. The amount of degrees listed should be cut drastically. We are churning out graduates with little hope of getting a job with these subjects

True :biggrin:

So you're thinking there needs to be a review of degrees on offer and perhaps only offer degrees that lead to better career paths and choices - with softer subjects perhaps having some other means of accreditation?
Reply 12
Original post by YaliaV
No, but I do like to salsa. I just don't understand why you invented friends when you could have made it a hypothetical situation.

I could have made it hypothetical - but that would have been lying.:wink:
Original post by Racoon
True :biggrin:

So you're thinking there needs to be a review of degrees on offer and perhaps only offer degrees that lead to better career paths and choices - with softer subjects perhaps having some other means of accreditation?

Of course. This drive to get people to do degrees has crippled many with huge debts and no chance of ever realistically paying it off.

Yes the idea of a three year jolly getting merry and making new friends is great but there are no jobs at the end of it. Of course we want people to have qualifications but 3 years at university to study dance....... come on !
Original post by Racoon

Footnote: Just to add, I'm happy for anyone with a First in any subject from any University........ or a 2.1, or a 2.2, or a 2.3....

How strange

Medicine degrees aren't given a classification :flute:
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
How strange

Medicine degrees aren't given a classification :flute:

Usually you would need a Bachelors of Science in Biology to become a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree, but I said 'Medical'... ie anything that comes under that classification such as neuroscience, chemist etc

Sorry if that wasn't clear but it could just as easily be an architect or engineer, not a medical degree.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
What I read here is you cannot compare like for like, which I would agree with.
Original post by Racoon
Usually you would need a Bachelors of Science in Biology to become a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree, but I said 'Medical'... ie anything that comes under that classification such as neuroscience, chemist etc

Sorry if that wasn't clear but it could just as easily be an architect or engineer, not a medical degree.

Architect, engineer, medicine - they're all vocational degrees not academic (and no - most courses don't include a classified intercalated degree award).

I wouldn't describe either neuroscience or chemistry as medical courses - they're science subjects and the vast majority of graduates from those subjects don't go on to work in those fields. Do you think one industry is somehow more worthy of graduates than another?
Original post by Racoon
I could have made it hypothetical - but that would have been lying.:wink:

It's obvious that you are lying and you just seem bitter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending