The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plymgary
I've gone for the Social Research stream and see that it's one of the least competitive - yay!

May a month of refreshing my inbox commence.

Welcome to hell! Hahaha

EDIT: Or should I say purgatory?
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry if this has previously been answered but does anyone know of anyone irl/online that has been flat out rejected for all of their schemes at the VI stage?
Original post by biology101
Sorry if this has previously been answered but does anyone know of anyone irl/online that has been flat out rejected for all of their schemes at the VI stage?

Last year I was flat out rejected at VI stage. I did abysmal during the VI so I wasn't surprised, but it's possible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by biology101

Good question, and no, I’ve not heard of anyone being outright rejected. I’d also like to know this.
Original post by Olive Kitteridge
Good question, and no, I’ve not heard of anyone being outright rejected. I’d also like to know this.

Good to know I was the exception 😂😂😂
Original post by Uncle_Fester
Good to know I was the exception 😂😂😂

Sorry for being thick but, the exception to what? You’ve not failed your VI!
EDIT: oh just seen your post about last year! Yeah I think that the thread started said that she failed at VI last year as well. Not heard of it happening so far this year though. Did you hear straight away last year, or were you amber banded first?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Olive Kitteridge
Sorry for being thick but, the exception to what? You’ve not failed your VI!

I failed last year at VI stage. Not heard of anyone else failing every scheme applied for at Interview before. I'm still waiting on results this year (felt I did 10000% better!).
Original post by toblerone325
Over two weeks since I did the VI. Im just taking it as the 'no news is good news' and going from there. I wonder if there have been any rejections after waiting for over two weeks?

I just hope that im amber banded for HoP and have already passed Dip and Gen! :colondollar:

I'm applying for the same schemes and it's been around four weeks now I think! I imagine these might take a little longer as they're all pretty competitive.
I failed last year at VI stage. Not heard of anyone else failing every scheme applied for at Interview before. I'm still waiting on results this year (felt I did 10000% better!).

Just saw your reply and edited my post. I definitely remember a couple of other people saying that they failed after VI last year. It’s my first year applying, so I don’t know anyone personally

What do you feel you did wrong last year? Curious how badly I did and want examples of poor performance to compare myself with.

If it makes you feel any better exactly the same happened to me last year.
Original post by Goawaysigninbox
What do you feel you did wrong last year? Curious how badly I did and want examples of poor performance to compare myself with.

Didn't prepare enough, Left it late. Was sick so didn't have the best mindset to do it. Bad environment for it and I didn't stick to STAR. generally, not good! haha
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you feel like you said too much or too little? Like did you ramble a lot or did you find yourself lost for words?
Original post by uncleniccius
If it makes you feel any better exactly the same happened to me last year.

Glad to hear! That does make me feel better! Problem with the VI is if you've not done it before its super intimidating and being sick doesn't help!!
Glad to hear! That does make me feel better! Problem with the VI is if you've not done it before its super intimidating and being sick doesn't help!!

See, the nature of jobs that I did meant that I became very very used to the idea of being on webcam, so I'm hoping that becomes apparent should I get through!

I have failed so many it isn't even funny. When I get to in person stuff I do really well but i struggle with VIs massively. Different people have different strengths I guess lol
Original post by uncleniccius
I have failed so many it isn't even funny. When I get to in person stuff I do really well but i struggle with VIs massively. Different people have different strengths I guess lol

I'm the same! I am far far far better in person. I always mark super high on social/interpersonal tests that are required for some psychometric tests. Not so great with VI or stuff like that. Where there is no feedback or able to gauge what is being well received I struggle a little haha!
I'm the same! I am far far far better in person. I always mark super high on social/interpersonal tests that are required for some psychometric tests. Not so great with VI or stuff like that. Where there is no feedback or able to gauge what is being well received I struggle a little haha!

It is the lack of human response that is the issue for me - in interviews the visual feedback you get and even the sub questions you get are invaluable to me.. Doesnt work on pre-recorded video interviews sadly.
Reply 1819
Can anyone tell me if there is a written part on the e-tray? I mean, do you have to write out some kind of memo in the end or is it purely multiple choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending