The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stalkingsilence
i'm not sure if i'm going to take two yet - i'm 3 weeks in and taking spanish alone has been so much work so tomorrow i'm going to talk to the french teacher to here what she thinks :smile: - do you find it too much work?

Well, we are only doing the basics so far in German which I know anyway so it's fairly easy, but I am finding French very hard despite having studied it since year 7. Perhaps it was just the move to the GCSE course.
If you enjoy French then go for it! It looks very impressive on a CV to be multilingual... definitely not the reason I took it... 😇that and all my friends were doing French not Spanish too
Hi everyone! I’m in Year 11 now (:eek4:) and my ultimate pieces of advice would be to:

a) make revision resources as you go along (eg. for end of unit tests) this will help you so so much next year :yes:
b) have a good time and don’t work yourself too hard :hugs:
c) it doesn’t matter if you don’t know what you want to do in the future :heart:
d) smile! Your mental health means so much more than some numbers on a piece of paper :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
i will definitely be taking you up on this offer!!!!
i love learning languages but i feel like i'm going to be really really behind and it's worrying me a bit
are you fluent spanish?

pretty much fluent yeh x and just msg me any questions on a topic or whatever
Original post by shady1402
omg I am really struggling with spanish. my school starts learnig Spanish in year 8 and I found it easy then. year 9 it got harder but it was still easy. this year I've just fallen totally behind and I cant do it any help would be appreciated X

sure just msg me privately :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Hi everyone! I’m in Year 11 now (:eek4:) and my ultimate pieces of advice would be to:

a) make revision resources as you go along (eg. for end of unit tests) this will help you so so much next year :yes:
b) have a good time and don’t work yourself too hard :hugs:
c) it doesn’t matter if you don’t know what you want to do in the future :heart:
d) smile! Your mental health means so much more than some numbers on a piece of paper :smile:

hey laura, i hope year 11 is going smoothly for you x
thank you for these tips; what revision resources would you recommend?
have a good rest of your weekend! x
hey laura, i hope year 11 is going smoothly for you x
thank you for these tips; what revision resources would you recommend?
have a good rest of your weekend! x

thank you, you too! x

Revision resources:

for all of these i would really recommend the CGP revision guides and workbooks :yep:

also https://senecalearning.com is amazing! :gah: they do loads of subjects for GCSE, (for free) and is so useful for quick recap! this is no.1 on my list for everything :yep: :king1:

maths:
corbett maths
mathswatch (needs a subscription)
hegartymaths
khan academy
mathsmadeeasy
justmaths

english:
mr bruff (yt channel)
the english teacher (yt channel)
sparknotes (!!)
and depending on what you're studying, you can type into youtube, eg. 'an inspector calls mr birling grade 9 analysis' and various other resources will come up :smile:

science:
primrose kitten (both her website and yt channel, as she has made some free revision guides but her videos are also great!)
freesciencelessons :adore:
christopher thornton (yt channel)
Original post by laurawatt
thank you, you too! x

Revision resources:

for all of these i would really recommend the CGP revision guides and workbooks :yep:

also https://senecalearning.com is amazing! :gah: they do loads of subjects for GCSE, (for free) and is so useful for quick recap! this is no.1 on my list for everything :yep: :king1:

maths:
corbett maths
mathswatch (needs a subscription)
hegartymaths
khan academy
mathsmadeeasy
justmaths

english:
mr bruff (yt channel)
the english teacher (yt channel)
sparknotes (!!)
and depending on what you're studying, you can type into youtube, eg. 'an inspector calls mr birling grade 9 analysis' and various other resources will come up :smile:

science:
primrose kitten (both her website and yt channel, as she has made some free revision guides but her videos are also great!)
freesciencelessons :adore:
christopher thornton (yt channel)

prosm!!!
thank you so so so much this is amazing <3
i will definitely check out all of those! year 10 is pretty overwhelming!
(edited 5 years ago)
Ahh you innocent children. Trust me when you get to college or university, high school will seem like paradise.
Anyone got any helpful advice on revision guides???
Looking to buy some revision guides to help me to make revision material for next year and hopefully secure my knowledge on topics which I won’t cover again in depth and won’t revisit until GCSE revision (😬) my subjects are
Re (Think Edexcel)
Business Studies
History
Maths
Spanish
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
^(Triple)^ (Think AQA)
English Lit and Lang (An inspector calls, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Macbeth, and the obvious other parts of English GCSE)
Will endeavour to find the exam boards....
(Sorry if this has already been posted and answered but don’t really want to look through 20 pages of posts.....)(although I have already read a rather large chunk of them)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mynameissecret
Anyone got any helpful advice on revision guides???
Looking to buy some revision guides to help me to make revision material for next year and hopefully secure my knowledge on topics which I won’t cover again in depth and won’t revisit until GCSE revision (😬) my subjects are
Re (Think Edexcel)
Business Studies
History
Maths
Spanish
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
^(Triple)^ (Think AQA)
English Lit and Lang (An inspector calls, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Macbeth, and the obvious other parts of English GCSE)
Will endeavour to find the exam boards....
(Sorry if this has already been posted and answered but don’t really want to look through 20 pages of posts.....)(although I have already read a rather large chunk of them)

CGP books are the best bet for revision guides imo
Original post by cloud_9_
CGP books are the best bet for revision guides imo

Do they have enough info in them or is it worth getting multiple types?
Hi, I'm a year 10!
I'm doing:
Triple Science
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
History
French
Music BTEC

My science teachers have been recommending us to buy the Pearson textbooks however if I already have access to one at a tuition and at school if I really need one should I buy them? Was thinking about the CGP textbooks (not the revision guides) instead to broaden my sources but I'm not too sure. Help! D:
Original post by Mynameissecret
Do they have enough info in them or is it worth getting multiple types?

They have quite a lot of info but for additional info Id say youtube or pastpapers but if youre not satisfied id say get multiple types
Reply 393
I’m doing
Maths -5
Biology-6
chemistry-6
Physics-7
English Lit-6
English Lang-7
Photography-7
Computer science-7
History-7
Spanish-6
Those are my targets!
I’m really interested in computing/programming and especially AI but I wouldn’t want a career in it.
I want to do law and politics at queen Mary and become a barrister and work in international criminal law.
High hopes but hopefully I can do it 🤞🏽
Original post by pineapple04
Nice to find other people taking music, what instrument/instruments do you play?

Ha ha it's been a longgg time but cello and uke. Wbu?
Hello my fellow year 10s,

This is my first ever post.. :biggrin:

For my subjects I chose...

-Core subjects (maths (9), eng lang (7), eng lit (7), RE (8), science (8 each))
-Art (8)
-Spanish (7)
-History (7)
-Geography (7)

^those are my predicted grades

In my free time I'm a gamer and an artist.

I am dreading my GCSEs and have the pressure of being the only child. Plus I want to go to a good uni.. Help :eek2:
(edited 5 years ago)
What I am taking and the grades I hope to achieve:
English Literature- 8
English language (taking this year) - 8
Maths-8
Further Maths- A
Combined Science- 7-8
History-9
Geography-9
German-8
Re-9

I know i have high goals. I doubt i will get thema ll this is just the best grades i want.
Original post by Abbie_B_123
What I am taking and the grades I hope to achieve:
English Literature- 8
English language (taking this year) - 8
Maths-8
Further Maths- A
Combined Science- 7-8
History-9
Geography-9
German-8
Re-9

I know i have high goals. I doubt i will get thema ll this is just the best grades i want.

Wow, don’t give up and stay ambitious and you’ll get your grades! ❤️
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chipmunks
Wow, don’t give up and stay ambitious and you’ll get your grades! ❤️

I hope I will. Maybe not in RE or Geography because my teachers arn't the best but a girl can still dream.
Original post by Abbie_B_123
I hope I will. Maybe not in RE or Geography because my teachers arn't the best but a girl can still dream.

Lol that’s me but in physics (for some reason I don’t understand physics but I can do maths just fine!) 😂

Latest