The Student Room Group

The best non-oxbridge universities?

Hi,
For computer science, I know oxbridge and imperial are generally classed as having the most rigorous and prestigious courses. What would you say is the group of universities that make up the next tier of universities after them? Obviously, I know this varies, but in terms of reputation, prestige and a challenging course, what would you say?
Original post by Sergio000
Hi,
For computer science, I know oxbridge and imperial are generally classed as having the most rigorous and prestigious courses. What would you say is the group of universities that make up the next tier of universities after them? Obviously, I know this varies, but in terms of reputation, prestige and a challenging course, what would you say?

Bristol, Edinburgh, Warwick, and Manchester spring to mind. That's not to say the ones I haven't named aren't any good.

(I go to Edinburgh so I might be slightly biased)
Imperial if you want to be taught by renowned lecturers who won't give a s*** about you and will be too busy jetting off to global conferences.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Bristol, Edinburgh, Warwick, and Manchester spring to mind. That's not to say the ones I haven't named aren't any good.

(I go to Edinburgh so I might be slightly biased)

Thanks for the response. Would you say the UCL course is as good or is it not the best place for computer science?
Also, I'm thinking of applying for the Edinburgh course, how do you find it? I'm thinking on applying for second year entry but do lots of people do that or is it a bad idea?
Original post by Sergio000
Thanks for the response. Would you say the UCL course is as good or is it not the best place for computer science?
Also, I'm thinking of applying for the Edinburgh course, how do you find it? I'm thinking on applying for second year entry but do lots of people do that or is it a bad idea?

Oh sorry I missed out UCL! Yes, UCL is great. You should definitely look at the modules and see if it appeals to you first, though!

Edinburgh's CS degree is heavily maths based. I can't even see any programming modules for next year (second-year) for me.

The teaching could be better, I'm not going to lie to you. Edinburgh is not known for good quality teaching in the early undergraduate years, but with a bit of hard work, you'd do fine.

Second-year direct entry is tough so I'm told. Everything is obviously a lot quicker and accelerated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending