The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures II

Scroll to see replies

Aww I'm sure physics went better than you thought it did :yes:
Original post by nyxnko_
Aww I'm sure physics went better than you thought it did :yes:

Yeah I moderated my view on how bad it was after I went through and counted marks. (which I continued doing during my history exam the next day, my history teacher would not be happy to know) Paper 2 I'm less sure about my mark on because there were a fair amount more long answer questions - which you can lose marks on even if you basically "get the question right" just by forgetting to mention something. (like for a while I kept on omitting "phase/anti-phase" from standing wave questions or "maximising energy transfer" in resonance questions) But much better than paper 1. Feeling pretty ok about getting at least an A overall, (with the second paper reviving my hopes of A*) though I don't want to speak too soon.
Well done for your EPQ :yay:
Sorry to hear physics paper 1 didn't go as well as you'd hoped, but glad paper 2 revived your hope of an A* :smile: Bet you're glad you didn't end up with computing as your fourth given the 3rd June timetabling :laugh:
Original post by _gcx
Yeah I moderated my view on how bad it was after I went through and counted marks. (which I continued doing during my history exam the next day, my history teacher would not be happy to know) Paper 2 I'm less sure about my mark on because there were a fair amount more long answer questions - which you can lose marks on even if you basically "get the question right" just by forgetting to mention something. (like for a while I kept on omitting "phase/anti-phase" from standing wave questions or "maximising energy transfer" in resonance questions) But much better than paper 1. Feeling pretty ok about getting at least an A overall, (with the second paper reviving my hopes of A*) though I don't want to speak too soon.

Haha, hope you've finished dwelling on it now :grin: It's good that you're feeling okay about getting at least an A :thumbsup: and I have no doubt you will, especially since we still have paper 3 :yes:
Original post by nyxnko_
Haha, hope you've finished dwelling on it now :grin: It's good that you're feeling okay about getting at least an A :thumbsup: and I have no doubt you will, especially since we still have paper 3 :yes:

I have because I think I've got the most accurate estimate I can make without the markscheme. Good luck with the rest of your exams.

Original post by Lemur14
Well done for your EPQ :yay:
Sorry to hear physics paper 1 didn't go as well as you'd hoped, but glad paper 2 revived your hope of an A* :smile: Bet you're glad you didn't end up with computing as your fourth given the 3rd June timetabling :laugh:

Yeah I thought that. It would've meant 6 hours and a half of exams. The partner school did AQA whose first paper is on-screen so it'd be a bit awkward too. Would've got 2% special consideration for my troubles though :tongue: No idea how they thought it was a good idea to put three reasonably closely related subjects on one day. (still better than FP1 and Physics Paper 3 clashing on the original timetable)
Original post by _gcx
Yeah I thought that. It would've meant 6 hours and a half of exams. The partner school did AQA whose first paper is on-screen so it'd be a bit awkward too. Would've got 2% special consideration for my troubles though :tongue: No idea how they thought it was a good idea to put three reasonably closely related subjects on one day. (still better than FP1 and Physics Paper 3 clashing on the original timetable)

Better for you maybe, but not for most people since most don't take FP1 even if they do FM :tongue: You must do a different combo of exam boards because the people at my school only have 6 hours so don't even get that 2%! Apparently it would only affect around 2000 students (I think that was the figure anyway) so wasn't significant enough to change...I beg to differ knowing many people with the clash!
Original post by Lemur14
Better for you maybe, but not for most people since most don't take FP1 even if they do FM :tongue: You must do a different combo of exam boards because the people at my school only have 6 hours so don't even get that 2%! Apparently it would only affect around 2000 students (I think that was the figure anyway) so wasn't significant enough to change...I beg to differ knowing many people with the clash!

I'd have thought 2000 students is a fair number - that's over half of the entry for Edexcel Physics :redface:
Original post by _gcx
I'd have thought 2000 students is a fair number - that's over half of the entry for Edexcel Physics :redface:

I think AQA physics is the big one, but yes I agree, I thought it was far more significant than they seemed to in the report :dontknow:
Week 2:

Further Maths Core Pure 1 [June 3] - This was bad, very bad. Had a panic in the exam because I had been going too slowly and made a mistake on one question I couldn't spot/recover from. As a result I didn't have time to check some questions. Could've gone worse, but I really was gutted and unoptimistic, particularly as opinions were only mixed, though low GBs can generally be expected. I feel like I could've done much better, but I did some damage assessment post-exam, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Physics Paper 3 [June 3] - Was very unsure about how to feel about this and haven't really put too much thought into it. The exam itself wasn't that hard but there were some dodgy questions, particularly questions where I wasn't sure what was required for full marks. Disappointingly certain topics were completely absent from all papers, including my two strongest topics (nuclear and space). By all accounts it was a reasonably difficult paper, so hopefully I've managed to secure that A*. If not, no big deal, but physics is done.

Maths Paper 1 [June 5] - Not to sound arrogant but I was not expecting this to be an issue and it wasn't. Very good paper and will have only lost a few marks due to silly mistakes. (an arithmetic slip and probably some poor explanation) I did think when I was doing it that people would find it hard, and I was correct in that.

British History [June 5] - Bad. Banked on an international relations question coming up. It did not. I couldn't answer either essay and made it up. Should get a C, hopefully a B overall. I have probably lost too many marks already for an A already. In all likelihood I lost too many marks for an A* from Irish History alone. Sources were ok but I waffled. Essay was utter crap and I just hope it scored some pity marks.

Further Maths Core Pure 2 [June 6] - Pretty good. Contrary to popular opinion I much preferred this over the first paper. Went overall smoothly and there were only 3 parts I made blunders on. Shouldn't be too many marks lost. My explanation was weak for another and I didn't show any working for one so possibly marks lost there. Should be relatively safe considering how people found it absolutely dreadful, but not entirely happy with the mistakes I made. Probably not going to think about it much more. If FP1 and FS1 go well I should be on target despite doubts from CP1.

tags

Original post by _gcx
Week 2:

Further Maths Core Pure 1 [June 3] - This was bad, very bad.

>PRESSES X TO DOUBT

Contrary to popular opinion I much preferred this over the first paper

We're actually the same
Glad you're happier with core pure paper 2 :yep: Sorry to hear history didn't have the question you wanted though :console: Hopefully the third paper will be better!
Original post by Lemur14
Glad you're happier with core pure paper 2 :yep: Sorry to hear history didn't have the question you wanted though :console: Hopefully the third paper will be better!

It doesn't bother me that much. It just means I don't have much motivation to revise for the last paper since an A is probably impossible now.
Original post by _gcx
Week 2:

Further Maths Core Pure 1 [June 3] - This was bad, very bad. Had a panic in the exam because I had been going too slowly and made a mistake on one question I couldn't spot/recover from. As a result I didn't have time to check some questions. Could've gone worse, but I really was gutted and unoptimistic, particularly as opinions were only mixed, though low GBs can generally be expected. I feel like I could've done much better, but I did some damage assessment post-exam, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Physics Paper 3 [June 3] - Was very unsure about how to feel about this and haven't really put too much thought into it. The exam itself wasn't that hard but there were some dodgy questions, particularly questions where I wasn't sure what was required for full marks. Disappointingly certain topics were completely absent from all papers, including my two strongest topics (nuclear and space). By all accounts it was a reasonably difficult paper, so hopefully I've managed to secure that A*. If not, no big deal, but physics is done.

Maths Paper 1 [June 5] - Not to sound arrogant but I was not expecting this to be an issue and it wasn't. Very good paper and will have only lost a few marks due to silly mistakes. (an arithmetic slip and probably some poor explanation) I did think when I was doing it that people would find it hard, and I was correct in that.

British History [June 5] - Bad. Banked on an international relations question coming up. It did not. I couldn't answer either essay and made it up. Should get a C, hopefully a B overall. I have probably lost too many marks already for an A already. In all likelihood I lost too many marks for an A* from Irish History alone. Sources were ok but I waffled. Essay was utter crap and I just hope it scored some pity marks.

Further Maths Core Pure 2 [June 6] - Pretty good. Contrary to popular opinion I much preferred this over the first paper. Went overall smoothly and there were only 3 parts I made blunders on. Shouldn't be too many marks lost. My explanation was weak for another and I didn't show any working for one so possibly marks lost there. Should be relatively safe considering how people found it absolutely dreadful, but not entirely happy with the mistakes I made. Probably not going to think about it much more. If FP1 and FS1 go well I should be on target despite doubts from CP1.

tags

You are one of the few people that I've spoken to who actually preferred paper 2. I too messed up on paper 1 because I ran out of time and was going at quite a slow pace, but I found paper 2 alright (again, barely anyone agreed with me!). I haven't got the guts to actually check how many marks I probably got on unofficial mark schemes etc, but I'm just trying to do well in the next two papers. (I do FS1 and FM1)

Best of luck for the rest of your exams :smile:

(also, what are you aiming for in further maths?)
Can I ask did you guys just sit Further Maths Pure paper CCEA? im convinced I have failed it was so difficult!
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
You are one of the few people that I've spoken to who actually preferred paper 2. I too messed up on paper 1 because I ran out of time and was going at quite a slow pace, but I found paper 2 alright (again, barely anyone agreed with me!). I haven't got the guts to actually check how many marks I probably got on unofficial mark schemes etc, but I'm just trying to do well in the next two papers. (I do FS1 and FM1)

Best of luck for the rest of your exams :smile:

(also, what are you aiming for in further maths?)

Thanks, you too! I can't envisage how FS1 will be hard. Still counting on it as a golden ticket.

I need an A* for my offer.
Original post by _gcx
Thanks, you too! I can't envisage how FS1 will be hard. Still counting on it as a golden ticket.

I need an A* for my offer.

Neither can I, but I have a lot of faith in edexcel's ability to make simple things difficult! :lol:
Ah ok, I see. Best of luck for that! Based on how you talk about maths in general I'm sure you'll get it :smile:
Week 3:

Maths Paper 2 [June 12] - This would've been a pretty decent exam if I didn't make my worst ever exam mistake in one of the first questions. Didn't realise Q2 was the trapezium rule, basically used rectangle approximations. Made an arithmetic mistake on vectors. All else numerical lined up. I preferred the first paper, but there seems to be quite considerable outrage over this one. I felt that this had bought me some leeway for Paper 3, which turned out to be unneeded because paper 3 wasn't as bad as I feared it could've been.

Germany History [June 12] - Only History exam I don't think I failed. The first 10 marker I could cobble together enough, I think it was on what the biggest victory for West Germany was, either Foreign Policy or the Economy. I knew enough to blag. Other one was whether civilian bombing in Germany was the main reason for low quality of life which I managed to get enough out of. Best History exam but not any more than a B overall.

Further Maths Further Pure 1 [June 13] - This paper started off well but then got quite tricky as the paper progressed. The last two questions were vectors and coordinate geometry. Didn't put much time into trying to figure the first part of the vectors question out, it was quite tricky and I thought the time was better spent on coordinate geometry. I worked my way to a (wrong) answer but didn't bother worrying too much about spotting my mistake (I made some arithmetical slip in finding the intersection meaning that my quadrilateral wasn't a trapezium) because I felt I could better spend my time elsewhere. The coordinate geometry question was 11 marks and pretty ugly, but I managed to get through it only to miss out that it wanted you to also specify the range of x. Did not have time to think about the very last question properly and probably got a mark for the coordinates of the focus. Luckily it was only 3 marks. Think I made a silly mistake elsewhere (probably a sign error), but otherwise all fine. I think relative to other people this could be my best FM exam so far. Hopefully FS1 will be good then my FM exams will be in ascending order!

Maths Stats and Mechanics [June 14] - Decent. Stats was fine and it was probably the explanations that caught me out for a couple of marks. Numerical answers line up. Mechanics I resolved unnecessarily while taking moments, because for some reason the reaction not being horizontal/vertical threw me off, and I will have lost a few marks on explanation but my other numerical answers line up. [and I knew my answer to a show that was right] Reasonably confident that I secured an A* especially considering how hard people found Pure 1 and Pure 2. Not sure if people found this one hard, people seemed to find it a nice relief.

Spoiler

STEP next week which will be a wild ride indeed.
History is just your side hoe at this point
And I made the same mistake with the trapezium rule question on paper 2. Hopefully nothing dramatic is done to paper 3 over the leaks.

Best of luck with STEP and hopefully FS1 is a piece of piss
Original post by thedarkbluegirl
Can I ask did you guys just sit Further Maths Pure paper CCEA? im convinced I have failed it was so difficult!

Nope sorry, Edexcel.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
History is just your side hoe at this point
And I made the same mistake with the trapezium rule question on paper 2. Hopefully nothing dramatic is done to paper 3 over the leaks.

Best of luck with STEP and hopefully FS1 is a piece of piss

This is what I think. I just don't know how it can be made as hard as Core/Further Pure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending