The Student Room Group

Fixed Term vs Permanent Job Offer (Civil Service)

Joining the Civil Service from financial services and I have two EO job offers, both of which commence in October 2018.

One pays £26k but is a fixed term position for up to 2yrs "with a view to permanency" whilst the other pays £24.5k but is a permanent post. Although the former appears to be a more suitable role for me.

I'm unsure on which offer to take and would welcome advice from current or ex-civil servants who have been on a fixed term contract "with a view to permanency" or knew a CS colleague who was and how often are these contracts made permanent? Slightly apprehensive as the role is "up to 2yrs" so anxious at the thought of swapping my current secure role to possibly being released from the contract well before the 2yrs.
Hi there, just seen your thread and wondered which job you accepted? I've been on a 18 month fixed term with a view to permanency and have received a letter to say it will end in July 2019. This is because they don't expect to have enough work by then. Don't think the with a view to permanency was a comfort blanket and being a permanent civil servant at the lower grade then I will expect to go back to my substantive grade. Not happy but nothing I can do so really hope you took the permanent one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending