Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For starters, it is an A* which used to be the best you can get. Just because it isn't the best now, it is absolutely brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Your Local Cat)
    no
    Are you saying people should be disappointed?

ReputationRep:
    I just hope universities think that way too.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are going to be disappointed with an 8 and that's perfectly acceptable. You can't tell people not to be disappointed with an 8- some people may have been working at a grade 9 all year, just to find out that they got a grade lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldfish4343)
    Are you saying people should be disappointed?
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dvx)
    Some people are going to be disappointed with an 8 and that's perfectly acceptable. You can't tell people not to be disappointed with an 8- some people may have been working at a grade 9 all year, just to find out that they got a grade lower.
    My school never predicted anyone a 9, which is the right thing to do. In most subjects, we have no idea what a 9 will be. It is unfair for the students to expect to get a 9, and be disappointed if they don't. It is still an A*, which was the best, nothing to be disappointed about.

ReputationRep:
    i wish a 9 didn’t exist because it makes an 8 look bad
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the person. I'd be disappointed with an 8 in some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Bro I'd be disappointed with a grade 9 because I wanted a grade 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3pointonefour)
    May I ask why? An 8 is an A*. The best you could have got. In most subjects, no one really knew what a 9 would have been, so it is also unfair to predict it.

ReputationRep:
    My school never predicted anyone a 9, which is the right thing to do. In most subjects, we have no idea what a 9 will be. It is unfair for the students to expect to get a 9, and be disappointed if they don't. It is still an A*, which was the best, nothing to be disappointed about.
    Which brings us to the stupid way which exams are now graded. They should be done on the content of the paper, not how well everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Your Local Cat)
    Bro I'd be disappointed with a grade 9 because I wanted a grade 10.
    Most universities and employers will be booking for a grade 10 at minimum, I'd aim for at least a grade 12

ReputationRep:
    For starters, it is an A* which used to be the best you can get. Just because it isn't the best now, it is absolutely brilliant.
    It's not an A*, it's actually less than that. If you look at the tables, an A* is equivalent to an 8.5, so an 8 is actually between an A and an A*.

ReputationRep:
    Well if the student is aiming for the best, they have every right to be disappointed with an 8. An 8 is no longer the best grade, for there is a superior grade above it. Those who are truly aiming for the top in any particular subject (or all of them) will be expecting 9s, and can definitely be dissatisfied with an 8, especially if they exerted an immense amount of effort into trying to attain it. People with extremely high standards can be a little crestfallen with an 8, it is understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Same, I think it's kinda rude for somebody to criticize somebody else for being disappointed (as long as they aren't rubbing it in or something). If you've been working for a grade 9 all year, it's only natural to feel disappointed with an 8, even though it's still a really good grade

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why? An 8 is an A*. The best you could have got. In most subjects, no one really knew what a 9 would have been, so it is also unfair to predict it.
    It's the work I put into certain subjects that mean if I got an 8, it wasn't worth the amount of work I did. But that's only for like 3 or 4 subjects. Most of my subjects a 9 would be great but an 8 is still ok.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an A*, it's actually less than that. If you look at the tables, an A* is equivalent to an 8.5, so an 8 is actually between an A and an A*.
    Which is still brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    My school only predicted me one 9 in Maths, one of the sixth forms I appled to rejected me because they were looking for predictions of at least four grade 9s, even though my school refused to predict grade 9s in any other subjects. I hope that in the future universities view an 8 and a 9 as being similar.

ReputationRep:
    Which is still brilliant.
    It may be brilliant for some, but it's not the top. Some people will want to aim for the top grade since a 9 says much more about the person than an 8 does.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.