The Student Room Group

Can I become a rollercoaster/ride engineer with a aerospace engineering degree??

I am currently studying in the UK and entering Year 13 and I really want a career in theme parks, so I decided I want to be an engineer in a theme park preferably an Imagineer in Disney where I can design and build attractions. However, I originally had my heart set out to do an aerospace engineering degree but I’m not sure if I will have a better chance of getting a job in the theme park engineer sector with a mechanical engineering degree instead. What Course would be the best for me?
Thankyou in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by JoeBaker1
I am currently studying in the UK and entering Year 13 and I really want a career in theme parks, so I decided I want to be an engineer in a theme park preferably an Imagineer in Disney where I can design and build attractions. However, I originally had my heart set out to do an aerospace engineering degree but I’m not sure if I will have a better chance of getting a job in the theme park engineer sector with a mechanical engineering degree instead. What Course would be the best for me?

Which degree do Disney specify in their Imagineer job advertisements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Find out yourself.

A 10-second google search
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
Find out yourself.

A 10-second google search

:banned: please do not provide complete solutions

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
:banned: please do not provide complete solutions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Partial solution?

I promise to be less helpful next time.

Original post by JoeBaker1

'Can I crack a rock with two-million tonnes of dynamite and a mining colony at my disposable?'. Absolutely.
Reply 6
Partial solution?
I promise to be less helpful next time.

/checks out link. :moon:
:yy:
As far as I can tell they're going to be less interested in what it says on your degree certificate and more interested in what you love doing and are good at...

so look at uni as an opportunity to do some interesting super curricular you can talk about on your CV and at interview
e.g. if you're into sound or lighting or scenic design or props you might want to think about joining the theatre soc
if you want to do animatronics get a cheap arduino and some sensors and make something fun with it or join (or set up) the unis maker/robot soc.
Reply 8
I get worried when roller coaster and aerospace are used in the same sentence.
Original post by Joinedup
As far as I can tell they're going to be less interested in what it says on your degree certificate and more interested in what you love doing and are good at...

so look at uni as an opportunity to do some interesting super curricular you can talk about on your CV and at interview
e.g. if you're into sound or lighting or scenic design or props you might want to think about joining the theatre soc
if you want to do animatronics get a cheap arduino and some sensors and make something fun with it or join (or set up) the unis maker/robot soc.

Nope. If you'd checked out the actual job postings which I gave in a link you'd see that they're very explicit in what they're looking for. Solid engineering skills and experience. Unless you're actually in to theatre it would be a waste of time doing anything there.

Here's part of an ad for a 'Mechanical Engineer - Ride and Show Engineering'

Basic Qualifications

Minimum one (1) years proven experience in design of heavy mechanical equipment such as large conveyance systems, automotive or large robotic systems.

Demonstrated strong relationship skills working with technical groups and multidiscipline teams

Demonstrated strong partnering skills with stakeholders and customers

Team player with excellent communication skills

Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing Engineering and Design software such as AutoCad or SolidWorks.

Demonstrated proficiency in performing classical and/or computer based engineering analysis utilizing hand calculations, FEA software or MathCAD.

Minimum one (1) year proven experience with Disney design standards or equivalent and ASTM F24.

Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.

Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of a particular field of engineering to completion of difficult assignments.

Preferred Qualifications

Hold a current, active Professional Engineering license in the State of Florida.

Required Education

Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Sciences or Engineering Technology from an accredited college or university.

Preferred Education

Masters degree in Engineering or MBA.

Reply 10
Nope. If you'd checked out the actual job postings which I gave in a link you'd see that they're very explicit in what they're looking for. Solid engineering skills and experience. Unless you're actually in to theatre it would be a waste of time doing anything there.

Basic Qualifications

Minimum one (1) years proven experience in design of heavy mechanical equipment such as large conveyance systems, automotive or large robotic systems.

Demonstrated strong relationship skills working with technical groups and multidiscipline teams

Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing Engineering and Design software such as AutoCad or SolidWorks.

Demonstrated proficiency in performing classical and/or computer based engineering analysis utilizing hand calculations, FEA software or MathCAD.

Minimum one (1) year proven experience with Disney design standards or equivalent and ASTM F24.

Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.

Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of a particular field of engineering to completion of difficult assignments.

Preferred Qualifications

Hold a current, active Professional Engineering license in the State of Florida.

Required Education

Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Sciences or Engineering Technology from an accredited college or university.

Preferred Education

MBA!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basic Qualifications

Preferred Qualifications

Required Education

Preferred Education

OP said they wanted to be an Imagineer... 'Imagineering' is a separate business unit in Disney. though they titled the thread rollercoaster engineer... tbh it's unclear what he (or she) thinks they're aiming for and should certainly read the Disney site a bit more. Imagineer isn't the same thing as an engineer who works for Disney.

Hear an ex Disney imagineer talking about how to become a Disney imagineer in this youtube... it's a hellish long and fairly boring vid so start at about 36 mins in - he does in fact talk about making props quite a bit though tbh the host is somewhat forcing the conversation towards prop making.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-m6cP1zahM

It almost seems like a competitive job and as if they're not just picking candidates who meet the educational requirements out with a pin.

Read the current imagineering challenge
https://disneyimaginations.com/

notice how much about 'theming' and visitor experience it is

-----

The world is full of Natural and Ancient wonders that are difficult to enjoy and explore either because they are remote, inhospitable, or have disappeared from time.

In what ways can you create an experience that explores and shares these Wonders safely for a wide range of guests, at or near the original presumed location?

Key Considerations:

Honoring the environment, history, codes and local ordinances.

Sharing the experience with a group.

The integration of traditional methodologies and advanced technology solutions to create and share the experience.

Include the expertise of everyone on your cross disciplinary team to support your idea.

Tell a family-friendly story.

The project should not include:

Do not use Disney IP (Intellectual Property) in any part of your proposal.

Do not use any Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality or Mixed Reality based solutions in your proposal.

Select one of the traditionally accepted Natural and Ancient Wonders of the World listed below:

Mount Everest

The Grand Canyon

The Northern Lights

The Harbor at Rio de Janeiro

The Great Barrier Reef

Paricutin: The Volcano in a Cornfield

Victoria Falls

Great Pyramid at Giza Egypt

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

The Statue of Zeus at Olympia

The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus